Worth it to mod a Trailblazer SS?

Cobra99

Go Big or Go Home
May 11, 2005
Algonquin
I've always had manual trans cars in the past so putting in a 3800 stall is new to me. I've done some reading and I can see how the stall would help at the track. What difference does it make on the street? Just higher rpm starts at red lights? I've never rev'ed it up at a light for a blistering start when green.
At a light would I have the car in neutral, rev to 3800 Rpm's then drop it into drive?

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
You also don't have to go with a stall speed that's that high. I had a 2800 stall on my 98 LS1 Formula fifteen years ago, for example, and that proved to be a big difference from stock that really livened the car up on the street and was also good for about 1/2 second in the 1/4 mile. Something more moderate like that might be more suitable for a daily driver, in my opinion.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
stalls kind of go by throttle pressure... if you do 10% throttle off a stop light, you would never know it has a stall in it. if you do 50% throttle off a stop light it will seem like it revs a little higher than normal before the truck moves. if you go balls out (or even brake torque at the light) its will rev up to the stall speed before the truck wants to move...

can no longer tow anything with a higher stall converter though...

my old truck... intake, exhaust, e fans, and a tune will get an AWD truck to low 14s high 13s (tools and parts in the truck on a 95* day) and around 20mpg on the highway

Devildog1833

Regular
Aug 10, 2011
stalls kind of go by throttle pressure... if you do 10% throttle off a stop light, you would never know it has a stall in it. if you do 50% throttle off a stop light it will seem like it revs a little higher than normal before the truck moves. if you go balls out (or even brake torque at the light) its will rev up to the stall speed before the truck wants to move...

can no longer tow anything with a higher stall converter though...

my old truck... intake, exhaust, e fans, and a tune will get an AWD truck to low 14s high 13s (tools and parts in the truck on a 95* day) and around 20mpg on the highway

All correct above but on brake torque it will not rev to stall speed before wanting to go. I ran a 4000 stall in my ride the last few years and on a brake torque at the track it would only go to 2200 rpm before it starts to creep.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info