Power Tools Discussion

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
[MENTION=4762]LoveSpank[/MENTION]

We just launched some tools and a battery platform called FlexVolt. Essentially it is a 60V battery platform that allows us to create tools with power and capability of corded tools, but in cordless. No company has been able to do that yet.

Like a cordless table saw that can rip 38 - 3/4" sheets of OSB (longways) on a single charge.

Or a full size 7-1/4" circular saw that is super smooth and powerful. Cuts 340 2x4's on a single charge, cuts through a triple stack of OSB without issue.

A full size 12" sliding compound miter saw, has same capacity of the DWS780.

A stud and joist drill that performs better than the Milwaukee corded version.

A grinder that has the power and capability of a 13A 6" medium angle grinder.

The beauty of it all? The battery is backwards compatible with all of our standard 20V tooling. Seeing the roadmap of what is in store for the future is pretty damn exciting.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
That's pretty Badass! I use mostly all Milwaukee stuff though. I love the warranty Milwaukee offers.

You work for Dewalt? What kind of warranty do y'all got?

I do work for Stanley Black & Decker, which DeWalt is a brand of. In terms of warranty, it really depends on the tool.

Is it wrong that I want them just because?

Absolutely not!

Is there any dates when things will be released?

you can pre-order them and they ship out in Nov.

Sites-cpooutlets-Site

Product should be available September 1st, it is shipping in late August.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlJZL3ZrIwo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlJZL3ZrIwo

So it works as a 20v 6ah battery or a 60v 2ah battery. Combine two of em and you get 120v for the bigger tools. Damn cool for when your out on the site and don't have power or when a generator would be overkill

Correct, depending on what tool the battery is in, it will draw power from the cells differently, hence the name FlexVolt. If it is in a standard 20V tool it will draw power from the cells in parallel basically acting as a bigger gas tank. If it is in a FlexVolt tool it draws power in series in order to feed the newly designed brushless motors.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
There will also be a 4 bay charger that charges all 4 batteries simultaneously, 20V and 60V. You can also use this 4 bay charger as a power inverter. Put 4 standard 4.0 Ah 20V charged batteries on and you can run a 42" LED TV + DVD player for 4.5 hours.......

We also have a 9.0 Ah FlexVolt battery coming out as well.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
I switched all my 18v tools to the 20v A year or two ago. I saw these batteries a couple weeks ago. I saw single batteries for $159 and a pair for $199. So I pre-ordered a pair on Amazon. Seems like a very versatile battery set up.

Were all your ni-cads batteries shot or was it just time for an upgrade when you made the jump?

Reason I ask is cause I think this adapter is pretty cool to allow your older tools to be compatible with the newer batteries.

Dewalt-DCA1820-20V-Max-18V-adapter-with-2Ah-Battery.jpg

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
What's everyone's experience with electric impact wrenches? (Corded and cordless)

I picked up a craftsman 19.2V 3/8" drive that I got on closeout a year back and I've actually been pretty satisfied with how well it performs for what I paid. It's only rated at 130ft/lb so it does struggle with breaking lug nuts loose sometimes... Esp after the F-ing tire shop torques them to god only knows what number.

Seems to me like a better 250ft/lb+ cordless impact could completely eliminate the need for an air impact in my case. Not having to deal with filling the tank, air hoses and occasionally tripping the circuit breaker in the winter are other benifits

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Were all your ni-cads batteries shot or was it just time for an upgrade when you made the jump?

Reason I ask is cause I think this adapter is pretty cool to allow your older tools to be compatible with the newer batteries.

See below.
What's everyone's experience with electric impact wrenches? (Corded and cordless)

I picked up a craftsman 19.2V 3/8" drive that I got on closeout a year back and I've actually been pretty satisfied with how well it performs for what I paid. It's only rated at 130ft/lb so it does struggle with breaking lug nuts loose sometimes... Esp after the F-ing tire shop torques them to god only knows what number.

Seems to me like a better 250ft/lb+ cordless impact could completely eliminate the need for an air impact in my case. Not having to deal with filling the tank, air hoses and occasionally tripping the circuit breaker in the winter are other benifits
The reason I switched was mainly my 18v drill and 1/2" impact. The drill was not up to the task of drilling bricks and concrete for a few projects I had. The 1/2" impact made me mad for the same thing you talked about. It couldn't break loose my lug nuts. That was the whole reason I bought it. So I decided to try a 20v 1/2" impact. It busted the nuts off with out issue. So it was a step in the right direction. Some of my batteries were older. So as I thought about buying a 3/8" and 1/4" cordless impact it made sense to go 20v.

I guess I should have researched stuff more. I guess I assumed motors on the 20v were stronger. Maybe that isn't the case. In which case that adapter might be a good idea.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

I need to get those, if my 18v tools weren't so damn durable I'd be buying the new stuff, the shits just indestructible though... :rofl:

You guys should do a buy back to get people into the new stuff. LOL

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007

That adapter is a nice way to get into the 20V without having to completely re-tool. It makes sense to just go the adapter route if you have 18V tools in really good shape.

A thing to note about the adapter, It will NOT work properly with the new FlexVolt batteries.

If you are looking into electric impacts, I love this unit below.

20v MAX* XR High Torque 1/2" Impact Wrench w. Detent Pin Anvil Kit (5.0Ah) - DCF899P2 | DEWALT

700 ft./lbs. of max torque, 1200 ft./lbs. of break-away torque. This beast easily took the huge strut bolts that connected the strut & a-arm together off with ease.

See below.

The reason I switched was mainly my 18v drill and 1/2" impact. The drill was not up to the task of drilling bricks and concrete for a few projects I had. The 1/2" impact made me mad for the same thing you talked about. It couldn't break loose my lug nuts. That was the whole reason I bought it. So I decided to try a 20v 1/2" impact. It busted the nuts off with out issue. So it was a step in the right direction. Some of my batteries were older. So as I thought about buying a 3/8" and 1/4" cordless impact it made sense to go 20v.

I guess I should have researched stuff more. I guess I assumed motors on the 20v were stronger. Maybe that isn't the case. In which case that adapter might be a good idea.

Most stuff is being redesigned with brushless motors due to the better efficiency, weight/size savings, and less maintenance. You probably wouldn't notice a huge difference moving from 18V brushed to 20V brushed.

I need to get those, if my 18v tools weren't so damn durable I'd be buying the new stuff, the shits just indestructible though... :rofl:

You guys should do a buy back to get people into the new stuff. LOL

We definitely have promos going on to help customers out. We have a Buy One Get One Free through Grainger right now with trade-in. I know they are a little higher priced, but the cost per unit still comes out way lower. The other caveat is that you need to get 5 or more kits to gain entry into the promo. Finding another person to go in on the deal is an easy way to counter that.

You can also walk into any of our service centers with an older 18V tool and get a smoking deal on a new 20V equivalent.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
Most stuff is being redesigned with brushless motors due to the better efficiency, weight/size savings, and less maintenance. You probably wouldn't notice a huge difference moving from 18V brushed to 20V brushed.

Also I think its been proven that the 20V MAX batteries are really just 18V batteries that have just been rated differently. They are measuring the voltage hot off the charger instead of the nominal cell voltage.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Also I think its been proven that the 20V MAX batteries are really just 18V batteries that have just been rated differently. They are measuring the voltage hot off the charger instead of the nominal cell voltage.

The voltage name is basically marketing, more to differentiate the new platform from the old. It would create tons of confusion naming the new platform 18V as well.

The 20V chemistry is most certainly different though from its 18V Lithium Ion and NiCd predecessors.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I received a notification from Home Depot that they have 6.0 amp flex volt battery DCB606 & DCB606-2 in stock. Just in case anyone is waiting to get one in their hands.

Seems Dewalt has a 9.0 amp coming out as well.

If you are looking into electric impacts, I love this unit below.

20v MAX* XR High Torque 1/2" Impact Wrench w. Detent Pin Anvil Kit (5.0Ah) - DCF899P2 | DEWALT

700 ft./lbs. of max torque, 1200 ft./lbs. of break-away torque. This beast easily took the huge strut bolts that connected the strut & a-arm together off with ease.

That is the unit I purchased recently. It puts my 18v and DCF889 20v to shame. It has had no issues knocking off lug nuts that were torqued to 100 ft/lbs.. I have not had a chance to test it on some larger torque nuts & bolts yet.

Thread Info