Does TCG end its reign over Thursday Night Lukes?

Release Luke's back in to the wild?

• Yes

Votes: 72 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The staff and I, as well as a few others I've randomly talked to, have been debating this since winter essentially started. Luke's has been a TCG spot for shit, 5+ years? We started it. We curated it. It was our baby. But, like all babies, they grow up to be teenagers and teenagers are harder to manage and ultimately, they have to leave the nest.

The past 2 or so years, its been very hard to call Lukes "TCG". TCG members attend but in small numbers. And as of this year, more and more FB Groups are referencing the spot and with that brings people we may or may not want there. Its impossible to manage the crowds and the desire really isnt there. We shouldn't ruin our nights by babysitting. But on the flip side, people should act like fucking adults and behave as such.

Its been a hard decision to finalize and my personal feelings are that we stop calling Lukes our own thing and release it back in to the wild. Thursdays wont suddenly stop because our name isn't attached to it and I don't plan on up and vanishing from there. However, it dawned on me today that this decision can't just be mine, it needs to be the community's.

So with that said, I want this discussion to be serious and meaningful. BS posts will be nuked. I want honest feedback on whether or not TCG stops promoting Lukes.

I know a lot of people are for and against it. And before the season starts, I need to make a decision. So lets here your arguments for either side. Also, please be sure to vote.

As it stands, we would like to have a new spot set up for this year (aside from DD) but we have no chosen anything yet. It's going to be very hard to find someone who has been as accommodating at Jamie (Lukes owner) but shouldn't discourage us. But thats a totally different topic and should not be further talked about in this thread.

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
I support. First couple years I had no problem bringing my cars there and was easy to find people you knew and parking was decent. Now its full of idiots who have no respect and is like strats on steroids. Find myself going less or taking the daily the last year or two. That's my useless $0.02

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I voted yes. not only because its super far from me, but also because I do not want to have to drive an hour and a half only to babysit my car or be worried about those non members mentoned above ruining things.

When I first went to looks maybe 2 or 3 years ago it was a lot different. Everyone was super nice and it was quiet with only the ocasional loud escalade blasting music. The last time I went which was last year it was chaos in the lot by the theater. Burn outs, fast driving, and hicks spitting tobacco everywhere. It was not for me.

Therefore I would like it if TCG searched a new spot

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Oh and 1 thing to add to the pile..... If the powers at be do decide to search for a new spot, maybe doing it on a Friday would be better? I know most of us work M-F, and for me personally it is very hard to leave work at 4:30ish, fight traffic an hour home. Then fight traffic all the way back up in rush hour. Then have me and the wife have to be up early to get in to the office.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Even though I've only made it out to a handful of Thursday's in the last few years...I think it is a pretty great location(despite the sub-average area), and Luke's has been more than accommodating and willing to be partners in this weekly event to make it the great night that it once was.

However, we can't control the level of stupid that has been growing and growing in amongst the crowds, nor do Luke's/TCG staff want to act as patrol and babysit the sea of people...and this year seems like it will reach an all time high. With the addition of the CPCS Facebook group migrating there, nothing positive can come out of IMO. It seems like 99% of every meeting spot gets diseased at some point, especially now with social media.

I vote for a new spot.

Formula_LS1

Addict
Sep 27, 2008
I vote for a new spot also. Luke's used to be good but these last couple years with my new job, I'm not able to get there as early as I could before. Because of the increased attendance, the main lot fills up fast and the theater lot is sketchy...don't feel comfortable leaving my car there.

We need a new spot in a "centralized" area. DD is too far for us in the northern suburbs/city

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I'd love to see a place a little more central to Chicago Metro, but more importantly I'd like a meet that is better quality. I have no desire to drive that far for what I am hearing happens there now... Luke's of old was awesome. I wish I had gone more.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I'd vote but I think i'm erroneous to the discussion for the simple fact that I rarely if ever go just like all the other guys by me. To me the DD is fine for the south guys, but the north guys should have more say in this discussion just because it directly affects them.

In short, if your from the south don't vote

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
I vote yes only because this kind of thing always happens over time. Complete assholes with no respect have ruined spots for as long as I can remember. The only spot I know that has always remained respectful is Dukes.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION]. There are a few other places that may be willing to establish something like the arrangements with Luke's I can think of. Galway Bar & Grill in Elmhurst used to have a revolving door of car and bike shows. Super easy location as well, being central to almost everyone as well as being dead on top of 83 and 294. Then there's Paul's Pizza and Dogs in Westchester. The Chicago SRT guys have been using it for years and years midweek, how interested they would be in sharing would be up for debate if ill-feelings were to be avoided. But either [MENTION=47]SRT41320[/MENTION] or I could get the right people in touch with each other for that talk.

Anyway, Luke's = Strats v2 writ large. And that's bad. Bad, bad, bad.

bmoore04

TCG Elite Member
Jul 30, 2010
Winfield IL
Last year a friend of mine tried to setup a Saturday night show at the Buona beef east of Barrington road on 72. It didn't do extremely well but they might be open to you guys taking another shot at something on Thursdays. It isn't that far from Lukes and it has a large parking lot.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I'd vote but I think i'm erroneous to the discussion for the simple fact that I rarely if ever go just like all the other guys by me. To me the DD is fine for the south guys, but the north guys should have more say in this discussion just because it directly affects them.

In short, if your from the south don't vote

Isn't DD more west or central?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I love the proximity to my home compared to other spots out there... the cops are too lenient though. We're left to police it and I'm not down for that if CPCS shows up.

Sadly, as much as I hate to leave the spot and leave Jamie to fend for himself on keeping the lot shenanigan free... its time to move on. Just please, not too far.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
DD is its own element... Replacement for LUKES should still stay Kinda NORTH-ish to make it fair for the northsiders.

It's too bad because lukes started getting really good.. then.. just like FMS :s00ls:, it became too big for its own good. Less and Less TCGers came out.. more assholes showed up .. It's a lost cause now unforutnaley... same thing happened to 4 corners... same thing happened to Streets of Woodfield. This is why Phil and I selected Aurora's Doggie Diner, because it only has 59 spots.. very very easy to keep a handle on the assholes when 75% of the people showing up will be TCGers.

bmoore04

TCG Elite Member
Jul 30, 2010
Winfield IL
[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION]. There are a few other places that may be willing to establish something like the arrangements with Luke's I can think of. Galway Bar & Grill in Elmhurst used to have a revolving door of car and bike shows. Super easy location as well, being central to almost everyone as well as being dead on top of 83 and 294. Then there's Paul's Pizza and Dogs in Westchester. The Chicago SRT guys have been using it for years and years midweek, how interested they would be in sharing would be up for debate if ill-feelings were to be avoided. But either [MENTION=47]SRT41320[/MENTION] or I could get the right people in touch with each other for that talk.

Anyway, Luke's = Strats v2 writ large. And that's bad. Bad, bad, bad.

Paul is awesome and the food is really good.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
As a member that has attended Luke's since I joined the board I've seen it progressively decline because of newcomers. I've always enjoyed going, even with the riffraff, and will probably continue to attend if there are people there I can shoot the shit with.

I voted yes, simply because I don't think the TCG name should be associated with the newcomers of the meet spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info