Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Below are important items of note for the upcoming Tour. This thread will be updating and changing as we get closer to August.

Forms of Communication

We will be using two forms of communication (subject to change):

Here's the route in a GPX file for download to use on navigation devices.

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/tcg-tour-2016/156120-tcg-tour-gps-route-download.html

Here is the groupme link for the tour group I've created. Please set up your username the same as it shows up on the forum.

You're invited to my new group "TCG Tour" on GroupMe. https://groupme.com/join_group/15229843/gPCAet

We'll likely have some type of thread going on here as well for constant updates, etc. Debating a private FB group but that might be overkill.

Rules for Driving in a Group

Before you do ANYTHING, ask yourself this single question - "Is it good for the group?" If that answer is no, don't be an idiot and don't do it. This is a group event, GROUP. Its not about you or your friends. Remember that.

Roll racing? We don't condone that :s00ls: but if you find the need to stretch your cars' legs, make sure you're either ahead of us or a ways behind us. We'll already be drawing attention to ourselves rolling 40 or so deep, don't need that extra attention.

Breakdowns - If you have ANY mechanical issues, we will not be in a position to pull the convoy over and assist. Flat tire, blown motor, hood flying off, etc. The logistics of trying to coordinate everyone just won't work. Luckily, most of us will be driving with friends so everyone should be able to pull off some type of buddy system.

Gas and Pit Stops

The plan is to stop every 100-150 miles or so for gas, piss breaks and leg stretches. That might sound like a short amount of time between stops and well...it is. Some of the cars involved will be pushing it at 150 so we're going to be extremely mindful of that. Plus, it doesnt hurt to stop often to make sure everyone is still with us, in good shape, etc.

We will have a list of gas stops likely up prior to the trip.

Suggested items to have in your car

• Phone charger and a back up phone charger (continually using the communication apps along with music streaming, etc, is going to kill most of our phones. Especially in areas with shit signal. Don't get let without da juice.
  • Jack - most of you will have the oem jack but it wont hurt to have a better one tucked into the trunk (not required on the Tour, but suggested).
  • Jack stands - not required, but not a bad idea.
  • Basic set of tools - you guys all know your cars and known what might be prone to malfunctioning...plan accordingly.
  • Fix a flat - self explanatory
  • Mini air compressor (otherwise known as one of those cheap cigarette lighter pumps)
  • Folding chairs

More to come after I check my list at home.

Dinner both nights

Trying to get us all into a restaurant likely wont work out very well (not saying it cant be done)...dinners at night will likely consist of pizza, fast food and beer in the parking lot. We'll be playing that by ear and figuring it out closer to the Tour dates.

Other

Each Tour participant will get a folder detailing the route, forms of contact, etc. A lot of the above will be repeated but at least you'll have it on hand in case you dont have data, lose the pack, etc.

We will also be providing a Tour "package" which will include various items for a flat cost. There is no obligation to pay, but itll be worth it. So far we're thinking a shirt, hat, window banner and maybe something else. Think power tour baggy.

[MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION], [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION], [MENTION=60]greasy[/MENTION], [MENTION=1909]utryd2[/MENTION], [MENTION=63]blakbearddelite[/MENTION] what am I missing? I know I'm forgetting things from the meeting.

Also, if you guys have thoughts, feel free to add them to this thread :bigthumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Maybe just our thoughts on how to handle dinners and lunches. We know there is likely no chance of any place being able to fit a party this size. We will likely have to split into groups.

Also, I don't remember if I saw the suggestion of bringing fold up chairs.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
[MENTION=340]Eagle[/MENTION] told me about an app called Zello which is basically a walkie-talkie for your phone. Don't know if it does group talking but I will be buying an actual set for the cruise regardless.

I think this is the same one we used for starved rock. It worked well but if you don't have cell reception it won't work obviously.

I'm planning on getting a set of walkie talkies for my car and [MENTION=73]tinfoilhat[/MENTION]. I'm not sure his car isn't going to break down :rofl:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Definitely several variations of TCG Tour shirts so as we do split up we can tell whose us and whose not us or them at restaurants and wherever else were not standing next to our cars

On top of having android walkie I also will have old school walkies. We need to set a channel though one for serious and one for banter and also to keep track of how much chesyercoopertops bed is flexing

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
I will have radios as well. Probably extra chairs.

Aren't the dinner stops planned in the other thread? We could call and at least make them aware that x amount of people will be there at approximately what time.

Lunch stops on the road, everyone could just grab something near whatever gas station we stop at.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Also, I don't know if there is an app yet, but a friend I rode with to Denver with had a book called 'the next exit' I believe. Pretty much told you what was at every exit on every highway. Would be handy if it or two people had one.

I have a pretty good method for that too.

portfood1jpeg.jpg

Thread Info