• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

GM/Corvette Active Handling / ABS / Airbag codes?

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Anyone know how to pull these codes without a Tech2 or visiting the stealership?

I have a basic Actron that won't read them, HPT Pro won't read them, Advanced Auto claimed to have one that would but showed up and they have same cheap one I do.

Ordered this same day delivery and hoping for the best.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01114V3BI/?tag=tcg21-20

Back story is I replaced my deteriorating stock balancer on the LS9 with an ATI super dampener which required full disconnect and removal of steering rack among other things in the way. I locked steering wheel in place and got everything back together and car drives perfect with no DTC codes. Service Active Handling and the airbag light are on. Not something I want to ignore esp with track days coming up :run:

Most would say steering wheel position sensor but not sure how that's possible as I only disconnected the steering shaft at the steering box and that sensor is in/near the steering column.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Am I correct in thinking I can't show up at the dealership and ask them to pull my codes for nothing without knowing someone?

More than likely. Someone on here is a Chevy tech iirc

Bring it up to Martin Chevy. Maybe [MENTION=236]Stink Star Productions[/MENTION] could give you a hand with a bit of hand on your end.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
you are a vette owner,

they will normall bend over backwards for you. had you owned a cobalt, they would have bent you over.

not my experience, usually the vette tax gets added on, I had to word it correctly to get the buy-in. Like I'm a long time customer (as in maybe bought the car from them, but never bought a vehicle from them, only parts), she only saw the Tahoe I brought in for an extended warranty item but after explaining the situation she knew I was only looking for the 2 minutes to pull codes and GTFO, not trying to get a free diagnosis.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Bring it up to Martin Chevy. Maybe [MENTION=236]Stink Star Productions[/MENTION] could give you a hand with a bit of hand on your end.

This road may need to be traveled if I can't solve. Basically active handling is disabled which mean it shouldn't jerk me into oncoming traffic, and hopefully same with airbag, don't need that exploding. I don't think anyone can say WITHOUT a DOUBT either of those wouldn't happen, but most likely not so really trying to get fixed ASAP and without tearing the car back apart.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
looks like its what I thought, didn't pre-purchase the pencil dick looking steering wheel/shaft/column lock (tied steering wheel in place), and even if I did not sure I would have maintained position at the end of the shaft/gearbox.

That and my drivers side airbag wiring or sensor isn't happy so these shouldn't be too bad to resolve and thankfully don't have rip anything major apart that was just put back together.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I do.

Here is a write-up I did on the Bonneville board when this topic came up. When I refer to the WSS in much of my text, it's because they're hung up on the problem being a WSS, when the WSS has nothing to do with it. So while it isn't Vette specific, the overlying "theory" is the same;

There are three pieces used in the stability system that require replacement when the stability system becomes inoperative and you've troubleshot it correctly. In addition, the electronic brake control module (EBCM) can be a culprit too.

1) First you perform an ABS system check. If there is a fault in the ABS system, this is where the WSS comes into play. But NOT anything to do with the VSES!

2) you check that the VSES (Vehicle Stability Enhancement System) centers for roughly 30 seconds. If it doesn't, go to step 3, otherwise check all connections and wiring harnesses for intermittent connections.

3) Using your T2 (or equivalent), perform a steering wheel position sensor test. If the SWPS checks out, move on to the next step. If it doesn't, replace the SWPS.

4) Using your T2 (or equivalent), check the lateral accelerometer input voltage in the VSES. It should return about 2.5v. If it does, then the next step will be to test the yaw rate sensor. Otherwise, if it doesn't, replace the lateral accelerometer.

5) Using your T2 (or equivalent), check the yaw rate sensor. It too should return 2.5v. If it does, move on to the EBCM. If your yaw rate sensor doesn't return 2.5v, replace the yaw rate sensor.

6) Replace the EBCM. If it isn't programmed/setup properly, that could be the problem, and you'll be generating a C1248 or C1255M3 code and possible incorrect operation of the system.

No where in ANY of this, other than making sure the ABS system is funtioning correctly, is mention of the wheel speed sensor (WSS), wheel hub, etc. Why you ask?? The WSS is ONLY used for computational needs of the ABS/traction control system. NOT the Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES).

I just went and looked in my Techline manual for 2004. This is EXACTLY, verbatim, from GENERAL MOTORS;

Quote:
The vehicle stability enhancement system (VSES) includes an additional level of vehicle control to the EBCM. The VSES is activated by the EBCM calculating the desired yaw rate and comparing it to the actual yaw rate input. The desired yaw rate is calculated from measured steering wheel position, vehicle speed, and lateral acceleration. The difference between the desired yaw rate and actual yaw rate is the yaw rate error, which is a measurement of oversteer or understeer. If the yaw rate error becomes too large, the EBCM will attempt to correct the vehicle's yaw motion by applying differential braking to the left or right front wheel.

The VSES activations generally occur during aggressive driving, in the turns or bumpy roads without much use of the accelerator pedal. When braking during VSES activation, the brake pedal will feel different than the ABS pedal pulsation. The brake pedal pulsates at a higher frequency during VSES activation.

Steering Wheel Position = Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) located in your steering column
Vehicle Speed = Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) located on your transaxle. This is NOT to be confused with your WSS out at the axles.
Lateral Acceleration = Lateral Accelerometer sensor located under the rear seat near the electrical center.
Yaw Rate = Yaw Rate Sensor located under the reat parcel shelf in the trunk.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
[MENTION=7801]cmntmxr57[/MENTION] I have reason to think we live near each other. You do have a T2?

I'm trying to tap into my SWPS connector to read voltage while car is ON to see what voltages are on signal1 and signal2 while wheel centered or moved but that is pretty old school vs having a T2 actually display values/voltages from the sensors on the CAN...

:obama:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info