• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

how do i take under hood temps?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i want to see what temperature it is under my hood, while on the track. ideally something records something for me to look at later but worst case scenario i can look at something or point a camera on it while i go.

like 15 minutes into a session i want to see what the temperature is like under there. in particular the area around my engine block above my header. more interesting if i could see even more spots. anyone know how to do this?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
i ended up buying this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CNLX9M4/?tag=tcg21-20

and 4 of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CWA3WEC/?tag=tcg21-20

and i will attempt to take some temps of in the engine bay plus all of my coil assemblies at the same time since they cook and i appear to cook them more often than anyone i know.

i found some guys running some spc86 cars have barely had the issue at all and neither are running cats... my cat1 temp is like 200 degrees higher than theirs.
Nice

Those probes are definitely more suitable for an engine bay

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
i ended up buying this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CNLX9M4/?tag=tcg21-20

and 4 of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CWA3WEC/?tag=tcg21-20

and i will attempt to take some temps of in the engine bay plus all of my coil assemblies at the same time since they cook and i appear to cook them more often than anyone i know.

i found some guys running some spc86 cars have barely had the issue at all and neither are running cats... my cat1 temp is like 200 degrees higher than theirs.

Goddamn that's a great price and setup. I'm looking forward to the results

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Just a question, why worry about under hood temps? You should worry about what the IATs are.

my intake temps are super duper good. i have a big snorkel to get cold air into the box and it is gold foil wrapped to give me +25 mclarens.

zeek.jpg

this is my intake temps vs. another guy with a spec86 brz that has a similar intake but no snorkel (not even oem one - the intake i have said to remove it) on track:

int_temps.jpg

the one shitty thing with this car is i keep getting P035X codes for cylinders, more often on the header side, for coil assemblies that go wonky. the theory is that it is because of heat. i have a real ceramic coated header and a ti wrapped overpipe and that didn't help though. anecdotally hood vents supposedly help. i have also found people with no cats have a far lower cat1 temp but dunno what that means for underhood stuff.

i want to monitor all 4 of my coil assemblies and see if any actually get more hot then others. then i want to see what the engine bay temp is above the header in my car, then someone with no cats, someone with vents, and see what dafuq is up.

Goddamn that's a great price and setup. I'm looking forward to the results

looking forward to the new toy although not sure how much use i'll get out of it past initial research! maybe a friend with a mold shop will be interested in it after that. eager to see the results but it doesn't look like it's going to get here until october. i'd also have to drive like a real dipshit on the highway or go to a track day to get things really cooking and i'll probably go for the latter so it may be some time until i get my initial results.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info