• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Help. Truck is acting up.

GLIKENNY

Hooligan
Oct 7, 2008
Darien, Illinois
Real Name
Kenny
Im having a problem with my truck. After driving around in the rain all morning on Friday, I now noticed there is a vibration coming from somewhere that I cannot pinpoint. I can't tell if it's engine related, trans, or somewhere in the driveline. It's very noticeable between 2000-3300 RPM, and 30-50 MPH. The vibration stayed all throughout my drive home. I nervously drove between 65-80mph and it never went away. When I got home, I check all fluids. Trans fluid is good, not dis colored or Burnt smell. Oil is about a quart low. I will be topping that off tomorrow. I checked all my cv joints, no boots are ripped. Everything is still greased. My truck is Lifted 6.5" via suspension, shackles and tbar crank. Lift has been on for almost 2 years. This issue started during my rain driving. Anyone have an idea where to start looking and testing??

I have a warranty, but with the truck being lifted I'm sure they won't cover the problem.

GLIKENNY

Hooligan
Oct 7, 2008
Darien, Illinois
Real Name
Kenny
Does it get worse on acceleration or deceleration? Also does it seem to be coming from any particular part of the truck? Any clunking or the likes on decel?

Initial reaction would be to check the U-joints for slop in the drive line and look for weird angles.

I dont seem to notice it till I get to about 2500-3000rpm. It stays pretty consistent at speed. It does get slightly stronger as the trans shifts. How do I check the driveline angles? I don't hear anything clunking however I did notice when I shift into reverse from after driving a while there is a louder than normal clank. But I can't reproduce that again by shifting back to drive and back into reverse. I have to drive for a while then shift into reverse to make it happen.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
If accel/decel doesn't affect it much you're probably in pretty good shape on driveline angle. I'd check for leaking at the trans yoke, I'd almost certainly change the U-joints (get decent ones) and I'd check the shape of the trans mount its self as well.

I'd be real inclined to pull the drive shafts and have a shop go through them then check the balance. I'd think 2-300 for doing a front and rear if there's nothing exotic on them parts wise but money well spent.

GLIKENNY

Hooligan
Oct 7, 2008
Darien, Illinois
Real Name
Kenny
If accel/decel doesn't affect it much you're probably in pretty good shape on driveline angle. I'd check for leaking at the trans yoke, I'd almost certainly change the U-joints (get decent ones) and I'd check the shape of the trans mount its self as well.

I'd be real inclined to pull the drive shafts and have a shop go through them then check the balance. I'd think 2-300 for doing a front and rear if there's nothing exotic on them parts wise but money well spent.

I just changed the tcase fluid, and both diffs. Just incase water got in em. Everything is good there, front diff did have a lot of shavings. But no big chunks of metal. I checked the ujoints, everything seems tight. Nothing was moving and seems solid. I am almost certain the issue is with either one or both hub bearings. There is no leaking fluid anywhere on the trans or engine. What's a for sure way to test for a bad wheel bearing??

GLIKENNY

Hooligan
Oct 7, 2008
Darien, Illinois
Real Name
Kenny
Well the vibration is gone. I guess I did lose some wheel weights. The left front was off balance by an 1 1/4 ounces and the right by 1 1/2 ounces. So they added more weights than what was on there. I didn't understand a thing he was saying referring to static balancing and whatnot. I still have the squealing and shit I have to figure out. I took a video of that problem but don't know how to upload it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• GLIKENNY
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list