• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Failed emissions again - LT1 (fuck illinois)

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
So I have not changed a thing on my 97 Camaro SS for years. 2 years ago it failed emissions and I brought it to Speedinc where it was tuned, they did some voodoo and it passed.

End of last year it failed again, but now Speedinc no longer keeps the software to tune junk ass LT1s. I found a tuner in OH, lt1pcmtuning.com, told him what was up, and sent him my pcm. It comes back, go get tested and failed again. The check is enabled, but its set to not report errors but the test shows them as "Not Supported".

He recommends me sending it back and him clearing it back to stock and load a full fresh tune. Im not sure what other options I have, O2 simulators? I don't want to deal with putting cats and O2s back on the car. Any of you guys with tuning experience have any ideas for me?

Summers like almost over and I have driven the car like 10 miles, and of course during those 10 miles some fuck face backed into it and left scratches in the front bumper.

Emissions report:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
3146MhDYVUL._SX450_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=nav_cs_gb

Those things.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
If it is set to not report errors it will fail. They changed this about 2-3 years back.

GM / HPT perform this in a different way than Ford / SCT does. Basically Ford / SCT actually turns them off per se in the tune which is why they don't report a MIL but also report as "not ready" in the tests. Since you can only have one minor system check as "not ready" and still pass in IL, having both off will fail. In HPT for GM you keep the MIL/SES enabled for them but set the error mode to "3-no error reported". This is what allows the GM cars to still report their O2 sensors test as completed but not throw a MIL error for it. The key in the GM tuning is to make sure that the SES box is still checked to allow the SES to occur and then set error mode to 3 so that it just never shows up. If it is done differently then you won't pass emissions.

What I usually do to make absolutely sure that I pass emissions with my G8 is just do an "emissions tune" that I temporarily load for the day of the test that literally has ALL DTC's in the tune set to enabled and error mode 3. This forces it to go to an immediate pass status right when the car is started. Normally this would take a few seconds if the car is tuned normally, but so far the shops haven't been educated enough to catch it.

This is all stuff that you can verify on a normal code scanner that can also see if your internal diagnostic emissions tests have been done. As long as you have no MIL reported and all but one or less of the minor tests that are supportable are set to "ready" status then you should pass in IL.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine

Am I missing something here? I am fine being wrong but it seems we just said the exact same thing based on what you linked to.

"The emissions standards changed recently in IL. Because of that, since the way SCT tunes turn off the DTC codes, tuned Fords will not pass emissions if they have had their cats removed and the codes set to not report. I am not aware if Diablo tuned Ford cars are having this issue, but I assume they are as well."

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Am I missing something here? I am fine being wrong but it seems we just said the exact same thing based on what you linked to.

"The emissions standards changed recently in IL. Because of that, since the way SCT tunes turn off the DTC codes, tuned Fords will not pass emissions if they have had their cats removed and the codes set to not report. I am not aware if Diablo tuned Ford cars are having this issue, but I assume they are as well."

Originally Posted by rocket5979 View Post
GM / HPT perform this in a different way than Ford / SCT does. Basically Ford / SCT actually turns them off per se in the tune which is why they don't report a MIL but also report as "not ready" in the tests. Since you can only have one minor system check as "not ready" and still pass in IL, having both off will fail. In HPT for GM you keep the MIL/SES enabled for them but set the error mode to "3-no error reported". This is what allows the GM cars to still report their O2 sensors test as completed but not throw a MIL error for it. The key in the GM tuning is to make sure that the SES box is still checked to allow the SES to occur and then set error mode to 3 so that it just never shows up. If it is done differently then you won't pass emissions.

this is on a GM , not a ford, he can pass emissions still

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Very True. The readiness monitor must be "ready" for the car to pass. If it is "not ready" "not available" or "not supported" then it will not pass in IL

read the other stuff i quoted

he said change the boxes to not report errors, not have the emission test come back with "not ready", "not available" or "not supported"

l0wb00st

Overbuild It, Or Don't Build It
Jan 29, 2012
NW Suburbs
read the other stuff i quoted

he said change the boxes to not report errors, not have the emission test come back with "not ready", "not available" or "not supported"

Gotcha. HP is a little different than what i'm familiar with. I have each monitor with a check box of available/not available, and another with pass/fail.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info