• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

anyone have any th400 experience? trans brake question

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
So i've never had a th400 before and im a little confused on the usage of the trans brake.

so my car engages great in forward gears, and seems to hold power, but reverse has a bit of a delay (3-5 seconds) and it almost seems like it slips.

i have read in several threads that some units with a trans brake and rmvb require you to put the gear selector in neutral and use the trans brake button to properly engage reverse.

anyone have any insight? im going to hook the brake up this weekend if i have time and see for myself but i thought id see if anyone on here has any thoughts?

:wavey:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
N + tbrake button is kinda normal. although i have had a few valve body setups that actually allowed me to use R

The Lentech VB in the Capri allows R to work without the solenoid, thank god or this car wouldn't have been able to go backwards for like 80% of the season last year. :roflpicard:

Most TH400 VB's that I've heard of require the button to go into R though.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
Most automatic's with Pro tree trans brakes need it to function. I think it's got a little to do with how you wire it in. I don't like wiring it through a relay because when done like that they tend have a tiny bit of delay. Instead of using a relay mines wired to a on/off toggle to arm the tbrake button.

[MENTION=122]phat_ridegt[/MENTION] are you activating the brake in neutral before you put it in reverse? If not that could explain the delay and slip...

Last edited:

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
[MENTION=122]phat_ridegt[/MENTION] are you activating the brake in neutral before you put it in reverse? If not that could explain the delay and slip...

not activating the brake solenoid at all. its not hooked up yet. i didnt realize i was going to need it yet.

the transmission is a coan unit that is freshened up, not sure what valve body is in it.

GIMPY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 21, 2009
Elgin
depending on the valve body u sometimes need to use the trans brake in order to engage reverse.. even if reverse grabs without using the trans brake I highly recommend u not to do that. reason being u aren't getting full line pressure to engage the clutch pack properly. if u have questions or need some technical info pm me. my dads built hundreds lol

School Boy

Spray the cubic inch at it!
Mar 28, 2011
The Lentech VB in the Capri allows R to work without the solenoid, thank god or this car wouldn't have been able to go backwards for like 80% of the season last year. :roflpicard:

Most TH400 VB's that I've heard of require the button to go into R though.

This is exactly why I kept power steering in the mustang. I have to hold the TB button to go in reverse on my car. :rofl:

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
so i ended up having a damaged pump due to me completly having a brain fart with the converter/flexplate spacing.

fixed the pump and then fixed a leaking bellhousing (jw sfi bell) and now all gears engage perfectly even reverse. without the trans brake. not sure if it's bad on the transmission but it works flawlessly without the brake hooked up.

turns out the pump was leaking causing a pressure drop which caused the delayed engagment. cant wait to get this thing on the rollers soon!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info