• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

How to get around emissions?

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
:wavey:
Been doing a little car shopping and I've been coming across cars that aren't IL emissions legal. It was never really a big issue in the past, but I know that they made some changes within recent years that voids the test if you have any systems/sensors disabled through a tune (I've seen it with the mustang guys, I assume it applies to everyone?)
Anyway, I know some people are able to register out of state, but I thought you had to prove residency and I was under the impression that it isnt always so easy. I'm also aware that some people are able to get a show-car exemption, but I've been told that there is some sort of mileage limitation and I'm wondering how the show car status would affect insurance rates. Input/experiences welcome. :jg:

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
No problem with emissions and I don't have cats.

What is the issue wit the cars you are buying?

No cats. With my previous car, it wasn't an issue until they made some revisions with the testing. I really don't want to buy something only to have to hunt down a stock exhaust and find someone to turn the o2 sensors on just for emissions.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
So what provider? I have heard Grundy Insurance might be a little more flexible but haven't confirmed yet.

I pay 437 per year for full coverage but I'd love to pay the same or less for more coverage without restrictions or at least not too many.

Attachments

• Coverage.jpg
    Coverage.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 219

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
Allstate. I also got a quote from Haggerty when I was looking for more additional parts coverage than the 20k allstate is limited to. From what Haggerty said they have no limitations and I can go as high as I'd like with parts coverage in the event it's wrecked or stolen. The cost was a lot more though.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
Speed Inc tuned out emissions shit for me years ago, I just had to take my car in and had no problems.

headers, no post O2 sensors, no cats, no muffler, LS1 car, loud as hell.

from what I understand as long as there are no emission codes in your computer you're good to go.

Mike Post @ dynotuneMP has the emissions tune all figured out on the stangs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info