• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Who knows about th400's/gm auto transmissions?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
So today driving the blazer it decided to make a grinding noise randomly going about 15mph. I pulled onto a side street and as I came to a stop it died. It felt the same as if you were coming to a stop in a manual trans vehicle without disengaging the clutch.

I then got out and gave everything a look over and found nothing. Started it back up and it runs absolutely fine in park. Put it in gear and instantly dies. When I say instantly dies, I mean it doesn't sputter and die like the engine isn't idling high enough or something. It basically feels like the TC isn't letting go.

I checked the fluid level and its normal. The color is a nice normal red without any thing shiny in it and it doesn't smell.

Could a TC just up a quit working or would that be a pressure issue?

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Would popping the bolts out of the TC-flywheel and spinning it test the TC being locked up?

There's no noise coming from the trans while its in park/neutral. I assume if something physically broke off (vanes) that it would be making a racket.

If it is the TC and the pan/filter isn't full of metal, is that something I could get away with changing and not rebuild the trans?

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
So a little update. I removed the TC bolts from the flywheel about a week ago and it made all sorts of busted metal sounds. I took a vid I'll post later.

Fast forward to today. Dropped the pan and no metal shavings. Had a bit of typical sludge but not much at all. Swapped the TC and got it back up under the truck. The old one sounds so broken giving it a shake.

I'll button it up tomorrow. I just have the new pan and 1 damn bolt on the passenger side for the engine to trans.

This fucker is heavy to move on your own. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406776501.701072.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info