• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Nitrous filter question

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
Anyone ever use the nitrous fitting that has the screen in it claiming to be a filter and how good did it work?

How about the actual filter tube's that nitrous companies sell, are these the preferred filter?

Here's a picture of both styles.

myZ45VO70XaV83YYTNyXzbg.jpg

mHWkhAkFrq2VfEYk9Z0aZgg.jpg

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Anyone ever use the nitrous fitting that has the screen in it claiming to be a filter and how good did it work?

How about the actual filter tube's that nitrous companies sell, are these the preferred filter?

Here's a picture of both styles.

myZ45VO70XaV83YYTNyXzbg.jpg

mHWkhAkFrq2VfEYk9Z0aZgg.jpg

The top one goes on the fuel side before the solenoid, the bottom one goes on the nitrous side before the solenoid/y-block, etc.

Some fuel solenoids have a built in screen, but it's always a good idea to have a good filter in-line. A nitrous filter is a good idea as well...Crap tends to get in to the bottles and then makes its way through the feed line, etc.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Remember that nitrous system fittings are color coded. Red is for fuel and blue for N20. Top is for the fuel side, and bottom one is for the nitrous.

The reason the fuel filter is so small is because most people with street cars are pulling their fuel from the stock system within the engine bay, so the fuel has already been filtered once by the main filter. This little red filter is just extra insurance that any extra grit cannot make it into the jets.

If you're doing some sort of standalone nitrous fuel system for a big direct port wetshot then you will need to run a proper large fuel filter and not the little red one you have pictured.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
They also have the filter fitting in blue and silver.
2014-07-10-12-17-37--1130610372.jpg

I am sure that in some cases they come in pink and yellow too. My point is that they are almost always color coded for ease of use. As with virtually anything, there will always be exceptions.

Regardless, I suggest that one never uses those small filters on the nitrous side of their system. There is very little area through which the nitrous can travel in that thing, which will in turn inhibit flow in such a high pressure/high volume item such as N20. That is why the nitrous filters tend to be a bit bigger. They need to have enough filter element surface area to allow proper filtering but without reducing flow by any appreciable amount. Since the fuel side doesn't need to flow anywhere near the same volume, it doesn't hurt to have such a physically small filter fitting on it since it will only affect fuel volume flow by a negligible amount.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Ok so no filter is better then using that fitting thing gotcha. Aren't n20 systems filtered pretty good from the mother bottle? It should all be clean if the bottle is in good shape right?

While the mother bottles are supposed to be filtered, it doesn't mean that they have been properly. I don't take any chances with nitrous. Whenever I am running one on a car of mine, or when I install a system into a friends vehicle, I always run a nitrous filter and a fuel filter. This becomes especially true for any direct port systems I build where the fuel and nitrous jet orifices become much smaller than a single nozzle type of system. Easier to clog the jet with debris. It just takes one small piece to fuck you.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
NX puts those small filtered fittings on the nitrous side of a few of their plate systems. Just sayin.

There are many things that companies do for various reasons. It doesn't mean that people should use it as a universal example of what to do in all applications. I stand behind my reasoning as to why it is better to use the larger filters for the nitrous side and not those small ones.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info