• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

08 G8 GT electrical question/issue

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
I posted this on g8board and got no help, so looking for some place to start.

Copy/paste

So this has been happening for a few months. When I plug my phone into a charger, in either outlet, its like the phone isn't getting constant power. It will switch from charging to not very rapidly. I have tried two chargers, same issue. I have tried those chargers in different*vehicles[http://images], no problem. Works fine with any other charger, too. Only have this issue in the car, anyone ever heard of this or had this issue?

Is there a way to test the voltage to the cigarette lighters? Someone suggested a fuse, but that doesn't make sense to me.
Driving to Texas next month and would like to be able to use my charger.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
The cigarette lighter is probably loose causing incorrect contact. So that's why it's going back and forth between charging and not charging.
two different chargers, one a typical charger, the other just the USB plug, in two outlets has the same problem.

I would test the voltage, but not sure how to go about it in a lighter plug.

I forgot to mention, I have changed phones, but now it shows charging, but percentage never changes.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Those USB ones seem to not charge at the same rate as a regular one to me. I'd pull the console and check that there's no corrosion on the power wire and that also the negative body is tight as well/ Then I'd get a multimeter on the wires and figure out if the votage is really jumping around.

If all else fails, I'd hard wire them to somewhere else in the fuse panel.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
High resistance causes high current. = fuse blown. Ohms law!

This assumes that the fuse is properly sized so that once it encounters enough amperage it will blow. However, if someone put in too large a fuse, and for whatever crazy reason it caused an excessive amount of resistance, then it could be enough to cause a voltage drop while still not blowing. I never assume anything when it comes to troubleshooting electrical circuitry anymore. I have encountered some weird shit in my time that would throw the best electricians for a loop.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Get a multimeter from Harbor Freight for $2 if you don't already own one; or buy a better on if you plan on actually using it for future wiring projects. There will be a central contact that will be +12v and then the outer body of the plug will be metal and serve as the ground. Test DC voltage between these two points.

This!

This assumes that the fuse is properly sized so that once it encounters enough amperage it will blow. However, if someone put in too large a fuse, and for whatever crazy reason it caused an excessive amount of resistance, then it could be enough to cause a voltage drop while still not blowing. I never assume anything when it comes to troubleshooting electrical circuitry anymore. I have encountered some weird shit in my time that would throw the best electricians for a loop.

That's kind of a stretch, not saying it couldn't but also not saying it could.

I've seen some crazy fucking shit doing this day in and day out. The best, was an iPod adapter causing CAN issues where the windows would, then would not work.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
Get a multimeter from Harbor Freight for $2 if you don't already own one; or buy a better on if you plan on actually using it for future wiring projects. There will be a central contact that will be +12v and then the outer body of the plug will be metal and serve as the ground. Test DC voltage between these two points.
this is what I wasn't sure of. will test this week.

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
The RAP 2 relay powers the aux power fuse 14 to power the power outlets.
Retained accessory power is a BCM function.

Seen voltage drops in relays or bad grounds occasionally.
Relay contacts have a poor connection or a weak coil etc & cause high resistance= voltage drop.
Low resistance equals high current flow that's ohms law.

Take one of your old chargers, cut the end off.
Separate the 2 wires & use it to test the power outlet.
You might need to load the circuit to confirm a problem though.
Connecting a voltmeter may not be enough to make a potential problem show itself.

Most times I use various 12v light bulbs/sockets to provide a circuit load to accurately measure the voltage & ground available to the operating circuit.

Check each side power/ground separately also.
May need to do voltage drop tests on power & ground sides of the outlet to see a problem as well.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
Missed this thread . My mustang is kind of the same way with my phone . It will charge a flip phone no problem . But it would not charge my Samsung slider . My guess is that the slider was trying to draw more juice through the cig plug and it just couldn't handle it . It would look like it's charging but when you Un plug after a while the phone was still uncharged .

You said it shows its charging so you have power there (at least sometimes) . The only reason to look at the fuse would be to see if its loose , but thats probably not the problem .

Does the screen on the phone show like it's charging ?

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
yeah, phone says its charging, but I've driven with it plugged in and showed no change, or a lower battery percentage. Gunna grab my voltmeter tomorrow and check it out this week.

Perhaps a question with an obvious answer, but were you using your phone as a GPS, for Pandora, etc or anything like that during these times or was it idle?

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
Nope. I lived about 30 minutes away from work for a little bit, and when I had my phone plugged in for those 30 minutes, I showed no change. More recently I had my phone plugged in and it was on daydream mode, so the screen was on, and I noticed a drop in battery percentage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info