• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Which E85 tester?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
OK TCG, what E85 tester do all you E85 nutswingers suggest?

PweB35m_zpsb45a0da9.gif

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Have you EVER found E85 quality to be less than desirable?

There are two things about quality. I've found some stations have less ethanol content and the other is I find weird cloudy shit sometime floating at the line of separation. I run shell e85 because it's the most consistent I can find that has at least 80 ethanol(usually always 85%) and it doesn't have that cloudy crap floating in it. There is a speedway by me and they had 70% into June last year and every time I tested it it had some really weird shit floating in there. My suggestion is you merry a pump and stay with it for consistency. Unless you can do some fancy flex fuel sensor that can adjust your AFR.

Get that tester and get a sample from a couple stations by you. See what it looks like. Just let the tester sit for about 5-10 minutes as it takes a while for all the hydrocarbons to separate. Should look something like this.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
There are two things about quality. I've found some stations have less ethanol content and the other is I find weird cloudy shit sometime floating at the line of separation. I run shell e85 because it's the most consistent I can find that has at least 80 ethanol(usually always 85%) and it doesn't have that cloudy crap floating in it. There is a speedway by me and they had 70% into June last year and every time I tested it it had some really weird shit floating in there. My suggestion is you merry a pump and stay with it for consistency. Unless you can do some fancy flex fuel sensor that can adjust your AFR.

Get that tester and get a sample from a couple stations by you. See what it looks like. Just let the tester sit for about 5-10 minutes as it takes a while for all the hydrocarbons to separate. Should look something like this.

the weird cloudy stuff is excess water from it being old shitty e85, I also use the quick fuel tester and it works great

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
I use that quick fuel tester as well. Just keep a liter bottle of water and empty Gatorade bottle in my trunk. Pump the E into the Gatorade bottle and then pour into tester.

Have tested several locations and have found from E70 - E88 in the last few weeks.

Also noticed that some places are a lot murkier then some and like mentioned will have white floaty stuff in it. No idea what that is, anyone know? Also noticed a couple were yellow in color.

Found the E88 at Shell at River & Lawerence but that was the cloudiest/murkiest I tested and $3.99 a gallon.

Best looking was E80 I tested last week at Speedway at 75th and Cass, was as clear as water with zero shit floating in it. Was $2.77 a gallon.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
I plan on having a couple VP Fuels 5 gallon jugs that I'll use to fill up while driving the DD and then put in the Cobra as needed. But I don't plan on keeping the fuel in it for more then a month. But completely sealed it shouldn't absorb enough moisture in a month or 2 to change the ethanol rating.

Mike@Devo2ning

Mike Da Mechanic
Jan 26, 2012
IL
Can I buy a few 5gal fuel cans and keep this stuff in the garage for a couple months as backup? Is it stable like that?

From what I've heard and seen as long as it's in a non clear container and sealed well from any leaks (good idea to flip the jugs to check) it should stay for some time. I'd suggest anything over a month to be stored in an approved sealed metal container. I heard something about it absorbing water through nonmetallic containers over longer periods of time. I have 5 on hand in the trunk and change it out each month if I don't end up needing it.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
It's going to be harder to find. Government tax credit ended raising the price up and it's going to age in the retailers tanks. They will order less and it will be harder and harder to find. This is being talked about in the news all the time since the credit ended. It no longer makes sense for ffv to run it. And it's carbon footprint is worse than gas it turns out. From scratch to pump gas is more friendly including vehicle emissions.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info