1/2 Mile Newb FAQs

SitDown

Mark it 8, Dude
Nov 7, 2004
West Burbs
No stranger to tracks, but First 1/2 mi event for me... Curious if there are any obvious newb things yall have learned from past events that might be helpful (beyond whats posted on omega site). Couple other Qs"

Mostly curious is these a structure for running order, groups etc? or simply get in line? If theres a link to a thread w/ all this is all laid out, that would be great.

Any benefit to bring drag radials? Not a 1000rw car, so figured this wasn't really necessary esp given rolling starts.

Any bolt on LS/A6 guys have any findings? Only found one thread of ppl with my setup, looks like ill hit 1/2mi mark just after 4-5 shift, other ppl were finding it falling on its face at 125. ls3/a6/3.27.

Looking forward to it, doing my anti rain chants this week

Tom

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Mostly curious is these a structure for running order, groups etc? or simply get in line? If theres a link to a thread w/ all this is all laid out, that would be great.

Get in line, grip it and rip it. Find someone you wanna race if you want and line up. Its extremely casual. Think like going up to GLD. Just get in staging and go.

Annnd thats all the input I can give :rofl:

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
1. I ran drag tires in the back last year and I will this year as well. Just helps with my traction overall. If you have wide enough street tires and are just a basic bolt on car you will be fine especially from a roll. If your a power adder type car I would recommend a sticky tire It cannot hurt.

2. Last year it was just casual, get in line and go down. Most of my runs were actually solo. There was never a line.

3. I am not an A6 but im a stalled A4 and my car really started to fall on its face around the 130 mark. That is why I added Nitrous this year to help with my top end for this event. If you are basic mods most likely you will experience the same thing.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Another thing I would recommend..... do a practice type run to get the feel of it and the runway. My first pass I shut down around 120 MPH just so I could feel everything out before going balls out the entire way. Learning the runway, where a small bump is etc

FlyingGuy

Forum Sponsor
Apr 2, 2015
check blinker fluid.

Tony here, owner/operator of Omegamotorsport.
I'd agree with all the above. Even on sunny, packed house events, people get plenty of runs in. So don't feel like any pass is a waste. Get a feel for the runway, small bumps or surface changes. With almost 3,000 feet of braking distance, no need to mash the brakes.

enjoy the fellowship. My events are designed so that you have to interact to setup your own races (or just get inline). No mandatory run groups or classes. You think you can whoop on that Hellcat? Wanna give that Mclaren a run? Go up and chat witht them. 99.9% of people start with a friendly "hey sweet car, I think we would be a good run..." or something along those lines. No hurt feelings, no ego, no b.s. Just fun. Sure, theres friendly competition. Everyone seemingly over the past year wants to race and beat a Hellcat. Modded cars always want a shot at an exotic... as long as you are in good spirits, the event will be a blast.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
I basically walked around to every car and said "do you wanna run ______" and set up races with anyone who would listen to me :rofl:

basically did this to every car in the lot :bowrofl:

12006357_10204848649632518_4069370068851928699_n.jpg

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Get a good night sleep before the event. The biggest feeling out piece is the most important which is getting on the brakes at the 1/2 mile mark. You'll be fine but be considerate of how you apply those brakes. My stock 4th gen fbody brakes were ok, but it was getting sketchy braking at 160+mph.

As for tires, you have to share with us a bit more of your setup. I ran drag radials and they worked great. A buddy brought slicks and it was really unstable for him. Street tires will be fine as long as you are not blowing off the tires with too much power. No ET to worry about so if you spin a little it's not going to add up to much in terms of MPH unless you're spinning half way down the track.

Thread Info