Who's doing the Atkins or low carb deal??

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

I like it, it's the only thing that ever worked for me.
Easy to do, eat all the meat, cheese, eggs & green stuff you want.
I was never hungry, and never had those low energy issues some do???

My only ?? is how do you eat when you get stuck running around and don't have a salad with you???
I can't just grab a side salad, it's not enough without some meat & cheese???
Do any of the fast food places have a low carb selection you like, besides a plain grilled chicken and you throw away the bun??

Breakfast is easy, eggs & sausage links are every where, lunch when I'm running around and don't have time for a restaurant is my only issue.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

My issue is I'm starving, and my sugar crashes if I don't eat enough.

I lost 44 lbs since March, but had to be away for 3 days, and gained 12 lbs eating out instead of home or bringing lunch.

If I throw away the bun, I have to buy 4 burgers or chicken patties.
Part of it was my fault, we were knocking down a house, and my throat was sore, so I had milk shakes, which helps.
I should have shaved off my beard so the mask fit tighter, but forgot.

I lost 6 lbs this week, but I'm heading out again for the eclipse, and was wondering if anyone had an idea I didn't think of.
It's easy when I'm home, but traveling screws up my system.
I add chunks of meat & cheese to my salad, and it controls my hunger, and my sugar doesn't crash.

Someone just told me on another forum subway will make you a lettuce bun, so I'm going to check on that next??
I can survive on omelettes and subway for 3 days if I'm not starving.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005

I lost 44 lbs since March, but had to be away for 3 days, and gained 12 lbs eating out instead of home or bringing lunch.

Part of it was my fault, we were knocking down a house, and my throat was sore, so I had milk shakes, which helps.

I lost 6 lbs this week, but I'm heading out again for the eclipse, and was wondering if anyone had an idea I didn't think of.
I add chunks of meat & cheese to my salad, and it controls my hunger, and my sugar doesn't crash.

Someone just told me on another forum subway will make you a lettuce bun, so I'm going to check on that next??

Jimmy Johns does the unwich which is a lettuce wrap basically. Also you canā€™t go wrong eating baconators and triple cheese burgers with no buns.

Look up keto or the ketogenic diet. Itā€™s similar to Atkins, but would probably be better for you. Itā€™s been a dream for me. Iā€™m 270 now. Started at 302 on 6/7. I donā€™t even feel like Iā€™m dieting.

Also do chipotle bowls. Skip the rice and beans, and get everything else. I do double chicken, sour cream, cheese and guac. Thatā€™s an awesome lunch or dinner and it will fill you up.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
Jimmy Johns does the unwich which is a lettuce wrap basically. Also you canā€™t go wrong eating baconators and triple cheese burgers with no buns.

Look up keto or the ketogenic diet. Itā€™s similar to Atkins, but would probably be better for you. Itā€™s been a dream for me. Iā€™m 270 now. Started at 302 on 6/7. I donā€™t even feel like Iā€™m dieting.

Also do chipotle bowls. Skip the rice and beans, and get everything else. I do double chicken, sour cream, cheese and guac. Thatā€™s an awesome lunch or dinner and it will fill you up.

youre not really running the keto diet if you are eating a triple cheese 2 meals a day. with keto, you are supposed to run high fat and keep protein moderate, which is hardest part of a keto diet. regardless, congrats on the weight loss.

my go to, when im out and about is always two number 12 unwiches with double meat from jimmy johns.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
youre not really running the keto diet if you are eating a triple cheese 2 meals a day. with keto, you are supposed to run high fat and keep protein moderate, which is hardest part of a keto diet. regardless, congrats on the weight loss.

my go to, when im out and about is always two number 12 unwiches with double meat from jimmy johns.

Im not eating that twice a day. Maybe once a day but I switch it up with chipotle, chic fil a and JJs.

Plus I've lost 33lbs since 6/7 and have been in confirmed ketosis since. I use the keto strips and test the pee about every day. So you tell me what Im doing wrong...?

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

I'm not counting anything, or really following anything exactly.
I had a horrible diet before.
All carbs & sugar every meal.
I ate poptarts every day, a gallon of gatorade, bread, rice & potato's with every meal.

So what I decided was to eat meat, celery/lettuce, cheese & eggs as much as possible.
Sugar free kool ade, no gatorade, no poptarts, no donuts, no potato chunks etc etc.
The article said you have to count carbs and follow a slow increase every week.
I have just done the best I can not to cheat.

I just made 10 bowls of sugar free jello to break up the boring celery for snacks every night.

Obviously ZX is doing great on his, I'm doing great on mine.
When you go from a horrible horrible diet, any improvement should work fine,
so what if it's a little slower then being perfect!!!!

If I make my goal of 57 lbs is all that matters :)

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Comments below

Easy to do, eat all the meat, cheese, eggs & green stuff you want.
I was never hungry, and never had those low energy issues some do???

OK so this is not true. As i've said before, one thing causes you to lose weight: a calorie deficit. If your maintenance cals are 2k per day and you eat 2.5k calories per day of meat, cheese, and eggs...you'll gain weight.

I hope that most, if not all, of that weight fluctuation (+12 lbs in 3 days, -6 lbs in less than a week) is timing and water. Either way what I get from this is that you're yoyo-ing around all over the place and you need at least a little bit of consistency.

You mentioned counting carbs. If you do that, you can count calories just as easily. Rest assured THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS. Whether you cut carbs, or cut fat, or cut a little bit of both, makes no difference as long as your calories drop.

I recommend eating "normal" for 5-7 days, and adding up the calories from what you eat each day. If your weight stays the same, average your calorie intake over those days and you have maintenance cals. Then reduce from there to the tune of a couple hundred calories/day. Don't obsess over how many carbs are in what you're eating, just add up the calories in it. It'll make your life MUCH easier

Limiting carbs, fat, or protein without looking at total calories consumed makes no sense. You can gain fat off of "healthy" foods pretty easily, all you have to do is consume too much of them

Congrats on the weight loss!

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
The keto, or "low/no carb" diet is a preference, nothing more. There's nothing magical about it. A person in a 500 calorie deficit on a keto diet will lose basically the same fat as they would in a 500 calorie deficit on a balanced diet with carbs, the only difference would be the water weight they're carrying (which has minimal impact on weight, and no impact on fat loss).

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Comments below

OK so this is not true. As i've said before, one thing causes you to lose weight: a calorie deficit. If your maintenance cals are 2k per day and you eat 2.5k calories per day of meat, cheese, and eggs...you'll gain weight.

I hope that most, if not all, of that weight fluctuation (+12 lbs in 3 days, -6 lbs in less than a week) is timing and water. Either way what I get from this is that you're yoyo-ing around all over the place and you need at least a little bit of consistency.

You mentioned counting carbs. If you do that, you can count calories just as easily. Rest assured THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS. Whether you cut carbs, or cut fat, or cut a little bit of both, makes no difference as long as your calories drop.

I recommend eating "normal" for 5-7 days, and adding up the calories from what you eat each day. If your weight stays the same, average your calorie intake over those days and you have maintenance cals. Then reduce from there to the tune of a couple hundred calories/day. Don't obsess over how many carbs are in what you're eating, just add up the calories in it. It'll make your life MUCH easier

Limiting carbs, fat, or protein without looking at total calories consumed makes no sense. You can gain fat off of "healthy" foods pretty easily, all you have to do is consume too much of them

Congrats on the weight loss!

100% agree. I can stay in ketosis by eating my fats and protein, but if I eat too many calories, I wont lose weight. I will stay in ketosis though. Thats hard for people to get. In order for ketosis to work, you need to be taking in less fat from calories than you are burning. This will always be true. Im consistently eating 1400 or so calories from fat a day, and I have been losing quite a bit of weight. Its been steady.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
The keto, or "low/no carb" diet is a preference, nothing more. There's nothing magical about it. A person in a 500 calorie deficit on a keto diet will lose basically the same fat as they would in a 500 calorie deficit on a balanced diet with carbs, the only difference would be the water weight they're carrying (which has minimal impact on weight, and no impact on fat loss).

Now this is 100% wrong. Eating keto to get into ketosis is completely different than limiting your calories but still eating carbs. There are great benefits of being in ketosis. I have lowered my BP and my cholesterol and my liver enzymes to normal levels. All were elevated at my last blood test and have been for years. This has been the best thing to ever happen to my health.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Now this is 100% wrong. Eating keto to get into ketosis is completely different than limiting your calories but still eating carbs. There are great benefits of being in ketosis. I have lowered my BP and my cholesterol and my liver enzymes to normal levels. All were elevated at my last blood test and have been for years. This has been the best thing to ever happen to my health.

That's almost certainly a result of the fat loss, not being in ketosis. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's a great thing because people use it to lose weight and get healthier, but don't confuse the results of ketosis with the results of a calorie deficit and subsequent fat loss

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
That's almost certainly a result of the fat loss, not being in ketosis. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's a great thing because people use it to lose weight and get healthier, but don't confuse the results of ketosis with the results of a calorie deficit and subsequent fat loss

How do you think I lost that fat...? Ketosis. Do a little research about it man. The health benefits are huge. Ketosis burns fat only for fuel. Take in less fat then you are burning, you lose body fat. People are losing weight and getting much healthier like crazy.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
My wife just starting doing the keto diet and I'm kind of doing it. I can't go as hardcore as she can.
I did the jimmy johns unwhich which was decent. For breakfast I went to mcdonalds and got 2 sausage patties and 2 eggs (6carbs 44 protein). lunch was a steak burrito bowl. I had them use half the rice they normally did, so less than 20 carbs.
I'm trying to keep my carbs to 20grams or less per meal. We will see if it works.
For dinner we did turkey meat and turned it into a taco bowl with no shell. turkey, lettuce, cheese, tomato and not sure what else she tossed in there.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
My wife just starting doing the keto diet and I'm kind of doing it. I can't go as hardcore as she can.
I did the jimmy johns unwhich which was decent. For breakfast I went to mcdonalds and got 2 sausage patties and 2 eggs (6carbs 44 protein). lunch was a steak burrito bowl. I had them use half the rice they normally did, so less than 20 carbs.
I'm trying to keep my carbs to 20grams or less per meal. We will see if it works.
For dinner we did turkey meat and turned it into a taco bowl with no shell. turkey, lettuce, cheese, tomato and not sure what else she tossed in there.

It will work. Just dont over do it on the calories from fat. My rule is basically one shit meal per day. Like the wendys triple cheese with bacon, no bun or a chipotle bowl no rice and beans, but everything else. Then I usually eat boiled eggs for dinner or broiled chicken. For breakfast I ONLY have an atkins shake. they are loaded with vitamins and minerals and have like 1g of carbs. Plus they taste good. As for snacks, all the atkins brand bars and chocolates are awesome and have almost no net carbs. And I snack on almonds too.

And I LIVE off of coke Zero. All of this in moderation. But whats funny on the days when I feel like I have had too much, I end up lighter on the scale the next morning.

And please get those keto sticks from walmart to test your pee. You need to know if you are in ketosis, and what knocks you out of it. But trust me you will know by the taste in your mouth/bad breath. Its you exhaling the ketones, and they are rancid. But you get used to it. I also chew sugar free mint gum all day to keep everyone around me happy. This really does work. Just no sugar and keep carbs under 20g. Sugar will knock you out almost immediately.

And NO CHEAT DAYS. NONE. It takes 4-5 days to get into ketosis as it is. Do you really want to waste a week of weight loss, over one cheat meal. I was reading a post from some lady complaining about keto. She was saying that she has lost nothing from eating keto for like 6 months. Once people dug into her diet, they found out she was having a "cheat night" and eating pizza and ice cream. Little did she know that she was probably just getting into ketosis, then that one meal was knocking her out for the next week until the next cheat meal....lol It was a cycle she put her self in because of this weekly cheat night.

Goes to show you really need to do some research to see what you should be doing. A cheat meal might be ok for some diets, but not keto.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
How do you think I lost that fat...? Ketosis. Do a little research about it man. The health benefits are huge. Ketosis burns fat only for fuel. Take in less fat then you are burning, you lose body fat. People are losing weight and getting much healthier like crazy.

You lost the fat because you were in a calorie deficit. It's a great program, especially for beginners that don't know much about nutrition (i do not mean that as a dig towards anyone). The sudden decrease in calories plus the immediate water weight loss (carbs increase water retention) are huge motivators to keep going and lose more weight. Long term, it's difficult to sustain so you see a lot of people bounce back and gain a lot of weight once they get off it. The reason for this is because many are not monitoring total calories, and you simply can't go your entire life without carbs. It's common for people to go through the entire process of the keto diet without understanding the basic fundamentals of fat loss

Also: this is not entirely true:

Take in less fat then you are burning, you lose body fat

Your body burns calories, not fat. If you burn more calories than you consume, your body then burns fat to make up the deficit. For example if you're on a keto diet and cut carbs, but increase protein by the same calorie amount that you cut from carbs (thus keeping total calories the same), i promise you won't lose a single pound of body fat despite the fact that you're not eating carbs.

I've played with a lot of diet types and been as high as 23+% body fat when i first started and as low as ~5% for competition. In the end, no diet can outsmart physics.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
You lost the fat because you were in a calorie deficit. It's a great program, especially for beginners that don't know much about nutrition (i do not mean that as a dig towards anyone). The sudden decrease in calories plus the immediate water weight loss (carbs increase water retention) are huge motivators to keep going and lose more weight. Long term, it's difficult to sustain so you see a lot of people bounce back and gain a lot of weight once they get off it. The reason for this is because many are not monitoring total calories, and you simply can't go your entire life without carbs. It's common for people to go through the entire process of the keto diet without understanding the basic fundamentals of fat loss

Also: this is not entirely true:

Your body burns calories, not fat. If you burn more calories than you consume, your body then burns fat to make up the deficit. For example if you're on a keto diet and cut carbs, but increase protein by the same calorie amount that you cut from carbs (thus keeping total calories the same), i promise you won't lose a single pound of body fat despite the fact that you're not eating carbs.

I've played with a lot of diet types and been as high as 23+% body fat when i first started and as low as ~5% for competition, so i have a pretty good feel for how this works. In the end, no diet can outsmart physics.

Not when you are in Ketosis. This is what Im saying. My body is not on the same fuel as you are. Its like you are running 93 and Im running on straight Ethanol.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Ketosis: What Is Ketosis and Is It Safe?

Ketosis is a normal metabolic process, something your body does to keep working. When it doesn't have enough carbohydrates from food for your cells to burn for energy, it burns fat instead. As part of this process, it makes ketones.

If you're healthy and eating a balanced diet, your body controls how much fat it burns, and you don't normally make or use ketones. But when you cut way back on your calories or carbs, your body will switch to ketosis for energy. It can also happen after exercising for a long time and during pregnancy. For people with uncontrolled diabetes, ketosis is a sign of not using enough insulin.

Ketosis can become dangerous when ketones build up. High levels lead to dehydration and change the chemical balance of your blood.

That last part is called ketoacidosis. And is only dangerous for diabetics.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Not when you are in Ketosis. This is what Im saying. My body is not on the same fuel as you are. Its like you are running 93 and Im running on straight Ethanol.

That's a bad analogy, and you are not correct, but i know how threads go when people disagree with you and i have no desire to watch this one go that route so i'll just say congrats on the fat loss and please be very careful if/when you decide to get off of Keto.

Like i said, no diet can outsmart physics. If you don't believe me add 1k calories/day of protein and healthy fats to your diet, maintain ketosis, and watch the scale start to go up on a weekly basis despite the fact that you're in ketosis.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
That's a bad analogy, and you are not correct, but i know how threads to when people disagree with you and i have no desire to watch this one go that route so i'll just say congrats on the fat loss and please be very careful if/when you decide to get off of Keto.

Like i said, no diet can outsmart physics. If you don't believe me add 1k calories/day of protein and healthy fats to your diet, maintain ketosis, and watch the scale start to go up on a weekly basis despite the fact that you're in ketosis.

Did you see the link from webMD I just posted?? Im not wrong on this. And I have no desire to fight with you or let this run away. You are referring to me from like 4 years ago. And I have not been that guy for a long time, nor will I go back to that. People can change.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
That's a bad analogy, and you are not correct, but i know how threads go when people disagree with you and i have no desire to watch this one go that route so i'll just say congrats on the fat loss and please be very careful if/when you decide to get off of Keto.

if my wedding wasn't coming up soon, id try this experiment here, because i honestly disagree with you from what i experienced last fall doing ketosis.

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

I'm no expert, but I think you are forgetting how the body reacts to different types of input.
Protein is not stored the same way as sugar & carbs.
I'm eating several 1000 calories a day.
Last night I had 4 thick chicken breasts for dinner.
That's ~1000 calories.
I had a full bowl of jello for a snack. ~4 servings 280 calories plus whip cream.

Lunch was cheese and celery, over 600 calories

Breakfast huge 5 egg ham & cheese omelette, ~1000 calories.

My weight is not yo yoing, I said I was out of town for 3 days
and ate hamburgers, onion rings & milk shake while I was gone and gained 12 lbs.
On the diet I lose weight steady, some weeks a little, some weeks none.
I was stuck at -30 lbs for 2-3 weeks, and got sick and started losing weight again.
Smooth & steady, nothing crazy. 44 lbs since Mar is much better then I ever expected,
especially since I cheat a little every week because of pulling trailers all day.

I also said I DO NOT count carbs, I just eat omelettes, meat, cheese, and celery as much as possible.
If I'm flying down the road pulling the 5th wheel all day I will grab some gas city pizza so I don't let my sugar crash.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info