2017-2018 Chicago Bears Thread - Trubisky Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Mitchell Trubisky has arrived for rookie training camp.

mitchell-trubisky-car-bears-05-11-17.png

Based on the way the rookie slotting system works in the NFL, new Bears quarterback Mitchell Trubisky will be getting a deal worth roughly $29 million over the next four years when he finally signs his new contract.
However, Trubisky doesn't have that money yet, and because of that, he's still living life like a college kid who has zero funds in his bank account. For instance, Trubisky is still driving a car that his grandma gave him -- the car, which is almost as old as he is, that he used to drive to Bears rookie camp Thursday.

Trubisky drove all the way from N.C. in his '97 Toyota. Kept his word to bring the POS car with him. I bet it won't be long before he upgrades.

LOOK: Mitchell Trubisky shows up to Bears rookie camp in his grandma's car - CBSSports.com

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Round 2 pick, TE Adam Shaheen, is huge. 6'6" 278 lbs. I watched a couple of his games tonight.

The good:

16 TDs his final year.

Guy catches almost everything around him. Large catch radius.

He's athletic, especially for a guy as big as he is.

He knows where he is supposed to be during a play.

He is good at blocking what he is supposed to including heading downfield and blocking at the 2nd level.

Giant target with a 32" leap and great hands. He will be a red zone threat.

The bad:

Not the quickest or fastest guy. He ran a 4.7 40 at the Combine. Not awful but not blazing quick.

He's not as powerful a blocker as you would think given his size. He gets in front of guys and deflects them but does not push them back much.

He's a big, white guy. He runs like a white guy.

Division 2 school. He dominated but it's lesser talent.

Overall:

Bears chose well, IMO.

Shaheen has brains, understanding of his position and knows what's happening with the QB.

He gets open. Single cover him and you're looking to get scored on.

Shaheen is used to lining up both at TE and at WR positions. This may create mismatches if the Bears move him outside at times. A smaller CB will have a hard time out jumping him for the ball.

The kid should be exciting to watch this year. Bears may finally have the TE we have needed since Bennett left. Bennett is actually the guy I'd compare him to. Maybe a younger, quicker Bennett. Both are large with athletic abilities. Another comparison might be pro bowler Eric Green, former TE from Pittsburgh.

Taking a TE in a TE loaded draft was not a bad idea. If the Bears had only waited to get Trubisky with pick 3 instead of moving up for 2 and had used the lost picks on more talent, I'd consider this a good draft. The way it is, everything is dependent on whether Trubisky is a star QB or not.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Round 4 pick (Bears lost a 3 and a 4 as well as a 2018 3 to move up for Trubisky) is S Eddie Jackson from Alabama.

The good:

Above average Safety who played for one of the strongest, big schools in the country. Jackson will be well trained from his college career.

Also plays special teams including returning kicks. Bears have taken several guys in the hopes of finding a kick/punt returner.

The bad:

Several college injuries. Could be injury prone.

Overall:

Jackson is another dart to add to the rest of the Bears Safeties. Bears hope a couple of the darts are hits. He is nowhere near the talent of the top Safeties in this draft.

IF he stays healthy and plays up to his potential, the Bears picked well. If not, he's a rotational player who may shine on special teams in the games he plays.

Last edited:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Round 4 pick is "The Human Joystick". RB Tarik Cohen is a change of pace back sort of like Darren Sproles.

The good:

Guy can turn on a dime and get you change.

He follows his blockers extremely well even pushing them into where he wants them to go. Good awareness.

Cohen will be an exciting addition in a spot where the Bears needed help. They had no change of pace back prior to taking him.

The bad:

5'6" 178 lbs.

Big enough to survive NFL hits?

Useless as a blocker.

Overall:

Exciting player who will have fans going WOW! during some plays. Bears want Howard to wear teams down and Cohen to pick up long first downs and gains.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Round 5 pick is OT Jordan Morgan.

The good:

He's an Offensive Tackle. Bears did not do much besides him to address this position of need.

The bad:

Weak class for OTs and he dropped all the way to the 5th round. Doesn't say much for teams thinking highly of him.

Overall:

Probably a rotational player who needs development. Best case scenario is he challenges for one of the tackle spots. Worst case, he sits on the bench most of the games.

With only 5 picks after trade moves, the Bears need to hit on most of them and especially Trubisky. At least we have two new QBs in town to cheer instead of Cutler. If they both suck, it's going to be another long year. If one or both are hits, maybe the Bears have taken a big step in their rebuild.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Worst case scenario this year is the Bears suck, they get hurt, they win just enough games to kill next year's draft picks and Trubisky is a bust.

Best case scenario is DEF gels and becomes top 10, OFF line gels and protects Gannon/Trubisky, they have more than 8 wins and Trubisky comes into a couple games and shines.

Reality is probably somewhere in between. (or they could really suck and lose almost every game giving them a high draft pick in a QB rich, 2018 draft)

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So let's go with option 3 "reality". If they really sucked which I'm thinking they will. They get another pick in top 3. You would be okay with them drafting another QB?
I have said it before and will say it again, they are turning in to the Cleveland Browns.
It's so fucking hard to be a fan the last decade. I really wish they would sell the team, get someone in there that wants to win and move them from that shit hole they call a stadium.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
To win in today's, pass happy NFL, you need a QB to take you to the next level. Almost no sacrifice is too great to get that franchise QB.

I read from people that watched the minicamp that Trubisky's ball hisses when he throws it. None of the other Bears QBs have that. Cutler had it but he had other issues. I'm going to hope Trubisky is the guy.

IF the Bears get a pick high enough to take one of the top 2018 QBs, I would think about it. Two great QBs are better than none. Plus, the Bears could trade the lesser QB and probably get a good pick/player back.

I don't like giving away the picks this year and consider that the worst part of the Bear draft. Gotta keep those picks to rebuild with youth. Don't mind using 1, 2 or 3 first round picks if it gets a franchise QB

BTW, Trubisky is rooming with Shaheen and bonding with him. Pace is trying to bring a Brees and Graham type of connection to the Bears. If Pace can build trust between them and they perform well, the WR problem lessens.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
QB Connor Shaw cut... then un-cut after Sanchez gets hurt.

Chicago Bears backup quarterback Mark Sanchez injured his left knee in an OTA practice Tuesday and is expected to be sidelined until training camp, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter, confirming multiple reports.

The injury was described as "minor," according to the reports.

As a result, the Bears rescinded their request for waivers on quarterback Connor Shaw. The Bears had waived Shaw earlier Tuesday in a corresponding move when veteran wide receiver Victor Cruz was officially added to the team's roster.

The Bears waived wide receiver Jhajuan Seales instead.

Mark Sanchez of Chicago Bears suffers knee injury

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Bears get some blocking. Good news for Howard and Cohen. I think we are going to see a LOT of runs this year. Makes me feel good inside to see the Bears working on running the football.

From Rotoworld:

Bears claimed FB Michael Burton off waivers from the Lions.
The Lions had no use for Burton in their spread-style, short-based passing game, but he should fit right into Chicago's smash-mouth approach. Burton earned Pro Football Focus' No. 6 lead-blocking grade among 38 fullbacks in 2016 after ranking No. 3 among 36 qualifiers the year before. If Burton earns a roster spot, he should upgrade the blocking in front of Jordan Howard.

I like seeing a RB who works out like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSAAFzdF_ps

Michael Burton interviewed on working late and blocking in Detroit:

http://www.detroitlions.com/media-c...out-pads/181b591f-86ec-4853-8cdd-87f07c47e160

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Jeremy Maclin (29 y.o.) surprisingly cut by K.C.

What? Gotta be a cap move because Maclin was their best receiver. He was going to make over $10 mil this year with the Chiefs.

Who needs a good WR? Maybe the Bears? They have $29 mil left under the cap and could afford to sign a guy who might jump into the WR1 spot ahead of White and the rest.

Glennon/Trubisky throwing to Maclin, White, Meredith, Shaheen/Miller and Cohen? That might not be so bad. Spend some money, Bears.

3. Bears
Maybe this will be the second straight offseason that the Bears luck into a great late roster addition. A year ago, it was Pro Bowl guard Josh Sitton. This year, it could be Maclin.
The Bears have a need at receiver after letting Jeffery walk on over to Philadelphia. Former first-round pick Kevin White can't stay on the field. Cameron Meredith has flashed potential, but asking him to be the team's best receiver might be too much. Victor Cruz and Kendall Wright are nice low-risk signings, but they're unlikely to contribute in a big way. The Bears already bet big on Mitchell Trubisky. They should now go all-in on giving him a wide array of weapons.
Oh yeah, the Bears also have $29 million in available cap space.

Ranking all 32 teams as landing spots for Jeremy Maclin after his surprising release - CBSSports.com

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
Bears get some blocking. Good news for Howard and Cohen. I think we are going to see a LOT of runs this year. Makes me feel good inside to see the Bears working on running the football.

From Rotoworld:

I like seeing a RB who works out like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSAAFzdF_ps

Michael Burton interviewed on working late and blocking in Detroit:

Burton on maintaining blocking skills without pads

It's a nice "token" move but a good fullback is NOT going to solve the Bear's O-Line problems. They don't even have a decent center....

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I think the Lions should have kept Burton. He can catch out of the backfield as well.

Sucks having only fragile daisies catching out of the backfield.... Though they sure are good when they're not recovering from massive injuries.

I think he's a great goal line guy and a great prototypical traditional fullback.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I think Cody Whitehair is going to become one of the best Centers in the NFL. He stepped in as a rookie, to a new position, and did the job. With a year's experience he should be even better.

Both Bears guards are great. If Long is healthy, they have one of the best interior combos in the NFL.

Tackles are a problem, no doubt. A fullback should help by putting another blocker out there for Howard and Cohen. Who do Defenses cover when it's 3rd and 1 and Burton and Cohen are in? Could be a quick handoff to Burton or play action to Cohen for a long gain.

I'm expecting the Bears Offense to be more exciting this year due to some of the pick ups. WR is the spot that concerns me most.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
2 days until the Bears take the field.

Glennon, Howard, Shaheen, (new and improved) Floyd, Tarik Cohen, bunch of new WRs and DBs. Preseason should shake out the good from the rest.

Biggest preseason/early season in a long time for a Bears QB. Glennon plays well, Trubisky stays benched. Glennon sucks, it's Trubisky time.

Bears are going to run/short pass the shit out of the football this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info