Health guys, help me out. (long ish)

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Looking for a good way to trim down a few pounds and be healthier and have more energy. Going to be 35 this year and I about 220. Would love to drop some weight like 20-40 ideally. Here is my issue. I'm always on the go..always and I simply just don't like a lot of healthy food. I hate vegetables, and fish, potatoes, tomatoes, shrimp, seafood, tuna etc. Can't even be the same room as someone with tuna or fish. Also literally have 0 time to work out or exercise.

my schedule is
5:45-6am - wake up. get the kids ready
7: drop them off at school
8am: at work
9:30 break - usually have a snack from the shit vending machine
12: lunch. grab something quick. tried to pack a lunch but i end up eating way too much.
2:30 break. another shit snack
5pm: leave work. home by 6. dinner
7 -7:30 kids in bed.
then do invoices, welding and all other business related stuff
bed by 10:30-11:30pm

That is my day pretty much. At work i'm always on my feet walking around. 2-4 miles. I stopped running to mcdonalds in the morning. Weight didn't change.
I stopped drinking pop with every meal. I may have something caffeine free for lunch like a sprite (have a coke if i am exhausted) and then water when I get home. Weight didn't change.
Prior to this job I was sitting on my ass all day, I thought for sure by walking around all day my weight would drop. nope.
At the end of the night i literally have no energy to pack a lunch after cleaning up the house and blah blah blah. Plus the wife is pregnant so she has is just exhausted too.

Lunch: used to go out with the guys for lunch but we always ate a lot and I decided to not eat with them. I grab something quick and only take 30min. I try to avoid burger king, mcdonalds and taco bell. I'll usually go grab subway, hot dogs or a fresh burger from a diner vs a fast food joint. Trying to avoid french fries as much as possible and grab a bag of fritos or sun harvest chips. Anything that is remotely better.
if I made my lunch it would consist of a pb&j and orange for snack. sandwich, chips, water, and some unhealthy snack like swiss roll. Last snack would be some pasta, and an orange. And after dinner I usually snack on something.
I feel like I am starving all the time. And being italian pasta is a big thing for us. I can eat a nice dinner of pasta and meatballs but I'm starving an hour later.

What can i do to break out of this cycle and be more healthy and drop some weight? I know some of this may seem obvious to you but I've never had a weight problem until i hit the 30mark. So trying to just be more healthy. It's a bitch when your pants don't fit in the morning.
Sorry for the long rant

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I would start by skipping the snacks that would probably cut 400-600 calories a day out of your routine, if you drink pop drink diet or coffee or a monster with no calories, if your not gaining weight every week from how your currently eating cutting the snack should drop close to 1lb a week, the home made burgers from a sit down place even though I'm sure they are healthier than McDonald's are probably just as high in calories or maybe more, if you can find the time for any exercise like 15-20 minutes a day that would help speed things up a lot

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I would start by skipping the snacks that would probably cut 400-600 calories a day out of your routine, if you drink pop drink diet or coffee or a monster with no calories, if your not gaining weight every week from how your currently eating cutting the snack should drop close to 1lb a week, the home made burgers from a sit down place even though I'm sure they are healthier than McDonald's are probably just as high in calories or maybe more, if you can find the time for any exercise like 15-20 minutes a day that would help speed things up a lot
wish I could cut out the snack break, but i am starving by those times. Tried doing just an orange or banana but it doesn't fill me up enough.
I prefer something I can just grab and go with for snack and breakfast

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
wish I could cut out the snack break, but i am starving by those times. Tried doing just an orange or banana but it doesn't fill me up enough.
I prefer something I can just grab and go with for snack and breakfast
You need a snack with substance. Nuts, veggies, fruit, protein bar, or protein drink.

Having a container with dry protein shake or buy a box of protein/granola bars to keep with you as an easy way to have snacks daily that are healthy and filling.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Have you tried a protein bar or some kind of granola bar/cliff bar?
Not lately. Seems every time i had protein bars in the past I'd pay for it later. almost like eating white castle. That's the other issue, I have a sensitive stomach.
Eat something wrong and I'll be in the can for an hour and using an entire roll of tp
You need a snack with substance. Nuts, veggies, fruit, protein bar, or protein drink.

Having a container with dry protein shake or buy a box of protein/granola bars to keep with you as an easy way to have snacks daily that are healthy and filling.
Don't like any veggies. I was going to buy some peanuts but the wife told me they are just as bad because they are salted. Non salted is like eating dirt.

Obtaining some side ass is usually the best motivation to lose weight
my wife gives me plenty of booty. No issues there :hsughlol:
how tall are ya vs the 220?
5'7"

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Gonna have to start liking raw nuts also peanuts with salt isn't as bad as a candy bar or bag of chips.

Sadly anything that taste amazing is usually bad for you unless you try new things to make veggies and stuff taste better like adding spices. You'll need to get past the "I don't like it because of the taste" thought process and move to "I'm eating this because it's healthy fuel for energy for my body and will help me lose weight.".

Or calorie count while eating like shit and keep it under your daily rate to lose weight while eating like crap. But just a warning, unhealthy food will fill you way less and take up more calories.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
sounds like you know what is wrong, but you lack the motivation to change it. we can tell you a thousand different things to change, but if you can't find the self control then our opinions will be useless.

1 "trick" to do before eating (snacks or meals) chug a glass of water as fast as you can. it will help give you a full feeling.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Gonna have to start liking raw nuts also peanuts with salt isn't as bad as a candy bar or bag of chips.

Sadly anything that taste amazing is usually bad for you unless you try new things to make veggies and stuff taste better like adding spices. You'll need to get past the "I don't like it because of the taste" thought process and move to "I'm eating this because it's healthy fuel for energy for my body and will help me lose weight.".

Or calorie count while eating like shit and keep it under your daily rate to lose weight while eating like crap. But just a warning, unhealthy food will fill you way less and take up more calories.
I wish it was that easy to just choke down shit I didn't like. I've actually acquired a taste for some things recently. I can do yogurt now. I hated it for about 33 years.
When I was young my dad would try to get me to eat things I didn't like. He would hold a $50 bill in his hand and say if you can eat this shrimp you can have $50. I couldn't get it past my lips. Bad smells make me gage, not sure how I can eat something that smells like shit. Something fucked up all my taste buds as a kid haha

What's a good protein drink or bar I can start out with that has a decent taste and not going to make me shit a brick? Also stupid question, but with eating a protein bar would that make you gain weight if I'm not working out?

to make a helpfull post in here,

after i put the kids to bed, i try to wok in a quick 15-20 eliptical run, or lift weights at home.

keep an eye on your carbs just as much as calories.
Wish I could. I have no room for the equipment is the first issue. Second issue is my work out consists of picking up the kids shit, toys, cleaning the table, doing dishes and laundry. I started multitasking on weekends. If I have to bring laundry downstairs I put the baby in laundry basket too and bring it all down together. :rofl:

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
sounds like you know what is wrong, but you lack the motivation to change it. we can tell you a thousand different things to change, but if you can't find the self control then our opinions will be useless.

1 "trick" to do before eating (snacks or meals) chug a glass of water as fast as you can. it will help give you a full feeling.

I have an idea of what to change, but need some options. If it were up to me I'd have pb&j and pasta for every meal.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Wish I could. I have no room for the equipment is the first issue. Second issue is my work out consists of picking up the kids shit, toys, cleaning the table, doing dishes and laundry. I started multitasking on weekends. If I have to bring laundry downstairs I put the baby in laundry basket too and bring it all down together. :rofl:

Oh, i know that struggle all to well as well. once it gets warmer, take baby on jogs, or walks around the block. my eliptical takes up maybe a 6 fot by 3 foot space in my basement. only issue is height. had to be carefull where we put it or i would hit my head on a joist. treadmills can be had for cheap that fold up and teke even less room.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
here is one option for you, i haven't personally used this service, but a ton of people throw his name/site around on the body building forum about how awesome and customized it is. i planned to give it a shot this summer during my bulking phase. it's obviously not cheap, but it is an option if you don't find what your'e looking for here.

About US | 3J's Nutrition

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Cliff bars are good but not super filling and 200+ calories each, protein bars are calorie dense so swapping out a snickers that's 250 calories for a 400 calorie protein bar would be counter productive, yes it's healthier but calories are calories too many and it does the same thing, I think your best bet would be to count calories and just eat less bad stuff, you can use MyFitnessPal app on your phone to help count you can scan a lot of things with labels and they have most the bad fast food on there also, all the little things add up though switching from 2 mcdoubbles to 2 mcchickens shaves a couple hundred calories, still unhealthy food but you will loose weight doing that

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Anything to look at besides calories?
I grabbed a mcdonalds yogurt this morning. 150calories
banana for snack time about the same
i have a rice crispy treat in my toolbox that is only 150calories..but what else plays a major role? fat vs trans fat. Don't know the difference on that. How much sodium is too much?

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Greek yogurt, almond nuts, cliff bars, egg whites. Those are my go to snacks on almost a daily basis. Try to stay away from going to McDonald's and fast food places, along with vending machines.

Go to the store and buy about 15 Greek yogurts, a bunch of nuts, cliff bars, stock up..Toss a box of cliff bars in the car, at work, where ever you go. It's easier to eat healthy when you have stuff available and ready to go.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
The people who said get a an app to track your ingest nailed it. I lost 30lbs between quitting soda and using an app to track my ingest as well as 30-50 minutes a day of exercise. IMO any TV watching should be combined with say a stationary bike. Lose the soda and any food you can, you'll probably be better for it. I need to get back in the groove myself. It's something that's not instant, but the weight goes back on a hell of a lot easier than it comes off. Ultimately you have to make the effort and figure out something that works for you.

Also, quit caffeine for good. I'm coming up on a year, and it has done a lot for me in terms of those "slump cycles." Eating too much sugared crap will cause you to get them. I'm way better for not drinking a ton of soda, and these days I've noticed I start dropping off a few hours after having one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info