Gluten Free Diet Increases Body's Toxic Metal Levels?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
A new study suggests a gluten free diet may have a negative side effect. More studies are needed to confirm/deny the results.

THURSDAY, Feb. 16, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- America's love affair with gluten-free foods may come at a cost: greater intake of the toxic metals arsenic and mercury, a new study contends.

"These results indicate that there could be unintended consequences of eating a gluten-free diet," said study author Maria Argos of the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC).

Gluten-free products often contain rice flour as a substitute for wheat, rye and barley. And rice is known to accumulate arsenic and mercury from fertilizers, soil and water, said Argos, an assistant professor of epidemiology in the School of Public Health...

...Compared to other survey participants, those who ate gluten-free diets had nearly twice the levels of arsenic in their urine, and 70 percent higher levels of mercury in their blood, according to the study.

However, "more research is needed before we can determine whether this diet poses a significant health risk," Argos said in a university news release.

Possible Drawback to Gluten-Free: Toxic Metals

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
this news article & website brought to you by the wonderful people at

1280px-Wonder_bread_logo_interstate_bakeries.svg.png

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
For 50+ years, I have seen products touted as perfectly safe only to later have it revealed they are dangerous or deadly (lead, asbestos, tobacco, cocaine, food dyes, etc.).

A large portion of the world eats a lot of rice without problems so, is the rice we eat different (more pesticides and fertilizer?) or is the research flawed?

Someone needs to replicate or disprove the results. If that many people are eating gluten free, will we see metal poisoning diseases jump up in a decade or two?

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
A lot of people say they have a gluten sensitivity, which cannot be proven or disproven. The most recent study I saw made it seem like a majority of people that claim to have a gluten allergy either have something we can't or don't know how to test for, or it is psychological. Gluten free food is a multi million if not billion dollar industry. I am sure marketing has a lot to do with it.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I might add that if you have celiac disease, you don't really brag about it. If you have that, the smallest amount of wheat protein will make you have a really really bad day if not week. If you see someone going to a restaurant and tell the waitor that they have a gluten allergy, they are full of shit. The risk of having wheat contaminated food is way to high for someone with celiac disease. It is like someone with a sever peanut allergy going to a Thai place and is expecting to not have a reaction.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info