2017 NFL Free Agency and Draft Thread

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I thought about starting the 2017 NFL season thread early because we are getting some free agency and draft talk in the 2016 thread but it's really too early to think past the draft.

So, here's the free agency and draft thread. I enjoy your comments and hope you get something from mine.

To start it off, I thought I was a fanatic about NFL football. I may be a fanatic but this guy is a FANATIC! Discovered his blog while looking at a mock draft and I'm amazed by the guy's depth of knowledge.

If you look at his basement, he has no pictures on plain white walls. Doesn't care about decorating. What he does care about to ridiculous levels is the NFL. The guy has a ton of knowledge he spends 14 minutes or so talking about. I bet, if he turned the camera around, he has three giant monitors that he splits into 12 during games. :bowrofl:

Enjoy... or not. Guy really goes into detail. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti2Rfd6QwWc

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I think it's just a bargaining tactic to get Kansas City to give him a long term deal for close to franchise player money.

Berry is already the highest paid Safety in the league, I believe, at $10.8 Mil. IIRC, the franchise tag would give him a 20% increase if he plays a 2nd year under it.

Berry probably wants something from the Chiefs like $44 Mil over 4 years with $25 Mil guaranteed.

What would he do if the Bears offered him $65 Mil for 5 years?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
In Gase's press conference, he said the Bears will aggressively pursue free agents.

They will have the $$ and a couple/few good free agents could go a long way towards competing in the NFC North. Chiefs don't have a ton of cap room as of today. Bears can easily outspend them if they want to.

Berry is number 1 target if he's available.

bmoore04

TCG Elite Member
Jul 30, 2010
Winfield IL
I think it's just a bargaining tactic to get Kansas City to give him a long term deal for close to franchise player money.

Berry is already the highest paid Safety in the league, I believe, at $10.8 Mil. IIRC, the franchise tag would give him a 20% increase if he plays a 2nd year under it.

Berry probably wants something from the Chiefs like $44 Mil over 4 years with $25 Mil guaranteed.

What would he do if the Bears offered him $65 Mil for 5 years?

He would call Danny T and ask him if the money was worth it.

bmoore04

TCG Elite Member
Jul 30, 2010
Winfield IL
Packers are supposed to be going against their usual tendencies and be a lot more active in free agency this year. That defense needs lot's of help.

With Sam shields having the concussion issues they probably need to move on from him. Without him they have no one on the roster who can cover #1 wrs. Probably wouldn't hurt to add at a couple other positions too.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
With Sam shields having the concussion issues they probably need to move on from him. Without him they have no one on the roster who can cover #1 wrs. Probably wouldn't hurt to add at a couple other positions too.

They're set at safety with Burnett and Clinton-Dix, they need cornerbacks that can cover people, more on the defensive line (I think they missed Raji more than they thought they would), and the linebackers could use some help. Matthews just doesn't look like the force he used to be in the games I watched of them this year.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Ya and Randall looked alright at times this year. It was just very clear they had no one on the roster in the same league as Dez or Julio. (9 catches 132 yards 2 tds and 9 catches 180 yards 2 tds)

Yeah, they definitely need a lockdown corner who can almost take away a section of the field from the other team. I don't know if you can go into next season just hoping Shields will be fine... I'd be looking at it more like Go get one in case Shields isnt fine, but if he happens to be fine you have two great corners.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
QB Patrick Mahomes is my pick for the Bears 2nd round. The guy has skillz. He needs some teaching to learn the pocket NFL game but his stats are good. Size, leadership, arm strength, mobility are plusses.

The Bears would do well to move up a few picks to the end of the first round to take Mahones. That way they get him for an additional year under rookie contract (I know I already mentioned this in another thread).

This video is an hour but you can pick and choose where to watch. The announcers are meh. The repeated video of the entire play is the important part. You can see Mahomes' arm strength and accuracy. He scrambles OK. Needs to work on form, mainly stepping into the throw, and ball control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ8uyqWJ3bg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Rumor is the Eagles are going after Alshon Jeffery.

I hate to lose talent (he is WR1 talented when he wants to be), but an extra $15 - $16 Mil. would go a long way towards signing a couple good free agents.

Look at what Atlanta did. They signed several free agent WRs who produced well this year and cost a whole lot less. Julio Jones makes less than Jeffery and Mohamed Sanu makes $7.5 Mil. Give me two of him instead of one Jeffery.

"Several league sources anticipate" that the Philadelphia Eagles will make a run at impending free agent wide receiver Alshon Jeffery according Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports.

Eagles expected to pursue WR Alshon Jeffery

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
The Vikings started the widely expected makeover of their offensive line Friday, releasing guards Brandon Fusco and Mike Harris.

Releasing Fusco will allow the Vikings to free up $3.2 million in cap space. Harris was on IR and his condition never improved enough for him to get a doctorā€™s clearance. Harrisā€™ release does not impact the Vikingsā€™ cap, as he was signed to a one-year deal in 2016 that did not feature a cap hit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info