1quicks bike/run how not to be fat and lazy thread

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Step 1 still eat like shit, I kid I kid sort of, I quit eating fast food for the most part but I don't consider what I eat good food most of the time, but I've been running and biking quite a bit since spring, I couldn't run or bike for a couple weeks due to surgery but now 3.5 weeks later I'm back at it, down 20 lbs this year and feeling pretty good currently 6' 198lbs 2 years ago I was 234lbs, here's a couple runs and rides from the last month or so I haven't been saving many since I am supposed to be on medical leave from work even though my doctor cleared me to run and bike I still can't lift more than 15lbs

Here's the bike I'm heading out for a ride now hoping for 30+ miles

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Bike rides and running/walking is just so GD boring. Especially walking/running. I can only do it at home on my treadmill watching netflix on the Ipad. I try to catch and pass people on my bike to keep myself entertained, especially those pussies that wear their full bike gear and ride on the street RIGHT NEXT TO THE BIKE PATH.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Man everyone rides so fast on bikes....slow down and enjoy it! I think i average like 10-12 mph :rofl:

granted I don't ride for losing weight or working out, I just ride to enjoy the wind and catch pokemon lol

If you got yourself a full on road bike or a cross bike like I have (basically a road bike but with a little fatter tire) you can't help but ride 15-16mph average. I used to average 10-12mph on my old aluminum mtn bike, but on the cross bike it's just so much easier to ride 16mph is a breeze to average. Unless it's windy outside, F*CK the wind.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
If you got yourself a full on road bike or a cross bike like I have (basically a road bike but with a little fatter tire) you can't help but ride 15-16mph average. I used to average 10-12mph on my old aluminum mtn bike, but on the cross bike it's just so much easier to ride 16mph is a breeze to average. Unless it's windy outside, F*CK the wind.

I have a crossbike, bought last year, a "GT". It's definitely easy to get up to speed, I just prefer to go slower because going faster requires more work :rofl: with 10-12mph, its like light peddling on my bike.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I've been riding a lot lately. How are some of you averaging a consistent 10-12 MPH and consider it "light pedaling"

I've done 13 mile runs and average 10 MPH keeping a steady "quick" pace and by no means was that "light" pedaling. Granted, this was on a 28-30LB MTB with a 205LB rider with inclines, turns, etc.

In addition, I went through heavy brush, dirt and gravel trails with mud on a fat bike which is about 34LBS averaging 9-10MPH and again, not light pedaling by any means.

Fastest I've actually gone was 17 MPH on a quick sprint with hard pedaling.

I do consider myself to be pretty quick especially since I do pass guys going all out on smaller bikes an they themselves being a lot smaller than me. Only disadvantage is I've never met anyone less than a pro athlete that trains daily constantly pedaling 12+ MPH without slowing down at all for miles and miles and miles.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
The bike is everything. It took me 30min to get to work on my old MTB, but on the cross bike it's down to 20min with the same level of intensity. I travel to work with about 20+lbs of extra shit for basketball, work clothes, food, etc so when I'm out on a bike ride without all that shit it's soooo much easier.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
bg_shrts_main_11_h.jpg

Do you have a suit like this when you ride that bike? It looks like you should.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
WTF with all these people saying they do 10-12mph? :iough:

When I used to bike... I'd be FLYING.

When I was young, I used to ride by BMX with the local "cycling" group - and usually finished near the front of the group on a 20mi+ circuit. If I tried that now I'd die of a heart attack for damn sure! :rofl:

As a kid, I got a speeding ticket doing 54mph on a 25mph street. No shit. I got pulled over by a squad car. They gave me a cheap ticket I had to pay too. It was bullshit.

Seriously though, if you're not booking it, what good is it doing towards exercise goals?

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
WTF with all these people saying they do 10-12mph? :iough:

When I used to bike... I'd be FLYING.

When I was young, I used to ride by BMX with the local "cycling" group - and usually finished near the front of the group on a 20mi+ circuit. If I tried that now I'd die of a heart attack for damn sure! :rofl:

As a kid, I got a speeding ticket doing 54mph on a 25mph street. No shit. I got pulled over by a squad car. They gave me a cheap ticket I had to pay too. It was bullshit.

Seriously though, if you're not booking it, what good is it doing towards exercise goals?

As much as I'd love to believe people are going that fast on 25+ pound bikes, hard to believe. Maybe on a straight and well paved road going with the wind, sure. Downhill in the slightest, yes, 15-20 MPH easily attainable.

The problem I have is I have A-hole parents that allow their kids to leave bikes smack dab in the middle of the bike path, or, people walk and take up both lanes and take their sweet ass time moving which causes me to slow down and build up speed again.

I'll try to get a speed run logged and compare from what was posted here. Averaging that speed over 10+ Miles in 90 degree heat is no easy feat.

EDIT - looking further at the app, one log where I went 13.7 miles in 1:21:48, my "average" speed was 10 MPH, my max speed was 19.4 MPH.

Another which was on all trail, gravel, dirt roads with areas of deep mud, it was 8 miles, average speed was 9.8 and my max was 16.7. Steep hills, very few declines, hot and humid.

I'll be riding this weekend and seeing what I can do.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
10-12 average speed is not bad on a road. Think about it...."Average" between stopping, having to slow down because of a person or obstacle in the way, etc.

Max speed of 10-12MPH, yeah, that's slow. I didn't realize the MapMyRide app showed max speed, since mine was 19.4MPH.

I like the Strava app

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info