Phentermine for weight loss? (pics added post #90)

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Anybody have experience with the appetite suppressant Phentermine?

I had a doctor's appt. yesterday and we decided it's time for me to lose 20-30 lbs. I just hit 6'/220 lbs. which is a weight I have never been at before. I'd like to drop that to around 190.

I understand the concept of less calories in, more exercise and an active lifestyle to lose weight. Did it a few years ago and dropped from 215 to 199 lbs. on a 200 lbs. goal. I have gained around 7 lbs. a year for the last three years and need to get the weight down again.

Anyway, I was talking with my doctor about appetite suppressants. You guys who read the food threads know I like my carb heavy meals. Problem is, it's tough to make the decision to make a lifestyle change to lose the weight when the food keeps calling me.

Fast forward to today. The doc prescribed Phentermine which I understand is a speed like appetite suppressant. I took the first one today and feel no need to eat at all. Mild speed type side effects but nothing serious. No head rushes or anything at the dose I'm on.

I'm going to put together a weight loss diet over the next few days and then try to figure out a maintenance diet that I can be happy with once I have lost the weight. I have also been researching exercise programs in the hopes of getting my body to dial up my metabolism a bit. If you guys have any weight loss routines you like, please post. Keep in mind, I'm 54 and my Realtor job does not provide a lot of exercise so I'll need to start at a beginner level.

Some of you may agree with me that dieting is a pain in the ass. I like my food. That's why I'm taking the Phentermine. Like a nicotine patch does for smoking, the drug should make it a lot easier to manage calorie intake. I'm wondering if anyone who has taken the drug has any insight into how well it works, long term effects, withdrawals when I stop taking the drug in 6 months, etc? If you guys have any insight, I'd appreciate it.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Yeah, a lot of my friends run and they aren't fat.

I also have to get a spine X-ray because of some issues with pain after walking longer distances so I may need to take care of that before running. My doctor originally thought the pain was due to some hip degeneration I have but the symptoms now indicate it might be back related so he told me to get the X-ray. Getting older sucks. :smile:

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
23012a53c8209e6db76e5a51f3eab0c5.jpg

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
there are no shortcuts. if you're not going to take it the rest of your life, it's not going to do anything for you. you'll gain the weight right back.

make sustainable habits that let you keep your weight where you want. anything else will be a rebound.

but a bicycle and enjoy some of that Florida weather every night.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Not sure how healthy this is Cliff but I've been having good luck eating reasonably throughout the work-week. Two meals a day, no more than 2000 calories from those meals total and for snacking I can have as much fruit/ veggies as I want. I find this helps me to get my fruits and veggies since they are literally my only option for snacking outside of a meal.

The upside here is that on the weekends I go hog wild and just eat whatever the hell I want.

Of course there's a healthy gym regimen associated with this but so far I'm down 5 lbs and body fat is way down too.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Cliff, phentermine works as an appetite suppressant in the same way cocaine does. Most patients become tolerant of the drug within a few months and it stops working.

Side effects are rare but tell your doctor immediately if you get short of breath or have trouble exercising.

86% of people lose more than 5% of body weight in 14 weeks, 50% lose more than 10% in 14 weeks. Baseline bmi for this study was 29.

This is much larger than placebo and was considered very safe for short term therapy.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Weight watchers. Join, follow the program, and workout at a healthy pace. If you change your lifestyle (it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change) you will get to a healthy weight and maintain it the rest of your life. It's just that easy.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Thanks for the comments, guys. Some good advice.

I'm using the Phentermine to make it easier to lose the weight. Last time I dieted, it took months of hard work to lose 15 lbs. I'm trying to make it easier to lose this time. I get the fact that I will have a week of withdrawals once I stop taking the drug.

So far, I have been cutting my portions down. Half a sandwich and an apple for lunch today. Still have to go shopping to get some fruits/veggies. I'm thinking a protein smoothie in the morning, healthy lunch and healthy dinner. Should lose weight fast by cutting out the snacks including the tough to quit late night snack. I started at 220.8 lbs. on Monday and was 218 today. Probably mostly water weight but it's a start.

I see a lot of diets allow one day of cheating a week. Not sure if that will be a good thing or just make me want more days? Might be a way to maintain the goal weight. Mon. through Fri., healthy and weekends eat a bit more. We'll see how the diet goes first.

I have noticed I'm more touchy and aggressive on the speed... er, Phentermine. No surprise there. I almost told my broker off today but bit back the comment instead. Have to watch that.

Thanks again, guys. I appreciate the input.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
You don't need those pills Mannnn.

Quick example of an OK weight loss diet ( it takes discipline, that garcinia pill I posted is real)
Breakfast : apple
Lunch : chicken or fish with a vegetable ( make this your largest meal of the day)
Dinner: can of tuna, whole tomato
Drink a lot of water and do not eat anything after 7pm......snack on bananas, vegetables, nuts etc.... Completely cut out bread, chips, pop.......
You can do this!

Flush that phent. Shit

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
215.8 lbs. this morning. This is ridiculous. 5 lbs. in 4 days? Gotta be nearly all water weight.

I'm cutting way down on diet soda and drinking water instead. Probably need to drink a lot more. Don't really like plain water as much as soda. OK to add the sugar free flavorings to it? It's probably better than soda even with the flavorings.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info