Working out after the 30's!?

GoldPanther

ā™«Please press 1 for more optionsā™«
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Guys, I need any advices or any kind of input on this.
I am 29 years old and, well I can't complaint, I'm not fat, my weight is 172 lbs and I'm 5'7" so I may be a little bit overweight. I am in good shape but not like I would want to.
My question is, how hard it is to workout after the 30s? How does a body respond when you're trying to make muscle?
My concern is that I will be entering the 30s this May and since on my 20s I didn't meet my own goals of making big muscles I think that after being older it would be a lot harder.
And yeah I am currently entering the turning-30 depression lol
Thanks in advance.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Recovery time has been the biggest issue for me. If you already have a routine that you like and want to stick with, do that. At some point, you'll have to start paying a bit more attention to the onset that ache here or there, try to lift around it, and if/when you tweak it, it'll be a bit more time before you're back in the gym, but it's not so bad. I thought the 30s would be much much worse.

GoldPanther

TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Dang it.
One of my biggest sadness is remembering when I had my 6 package back when I was in high school, now I fear I will never see it again : ( I already have back problems and it's hard for me working that area. My arms are already getting skinny, and my chest is getting flater. I think I will have to focus on that but then if I don't eat heavy stuff I will get thinner.
I'm not sure if get in a diet to lose those 20 lbs but doc told me or if get back in the gym and eat heavy.
All this feelings!!!!

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
i went for a physical for the first time since highschool recently.
im 30, 225lbs, 6' tall.. they didnt say shit about me needing to trim back at all.

but my chiropractor will tell me almost religiously to trim down the mid section will help with my lower back issues i have.

but no, im not working out. i cant justify spending that time or money at the gym when i could spend that time at a bar drinking golden delicious beverages.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
It's all about consistency and diet. Anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't know much. The hardest part about working out and exercise is just the routine and picking your ass up to go to the gym or do SOMETHING but not just once a week. 30's isn't a problem at all, hell some people have their best workout years in their late 20's to mid 30's. But if you aren't consistent you'll never see results. I wouldn't wait to start though, the l longer you put it off the harder it gets. Starting and exercise routine in your 40's or 50's is incredibly difficult to maintaining a lifestyle you started in your 20's or 30's.

It's amazing how fast a year of work can go down the tubes if you take 3 weeks or a month off. I can tell from injury it's depressing what 6 years of work for me went to after 4 months of not being able to work out. You have to start from the bottom again. Keep track of your workouts, track your gains and advancements and you'll start to little by little notice improvements. Then it's a maintenance game.

Besides that, eat right, don't binge constantly, and have self restraint and you'll be solid into your 60's. I see guys all the time working out who look like their 40 and you talk them and they are 61-62. It's shocking. Half of it's mental though. If you cave in your 30's and go "lite" on your once a week workout...it's going to be a much longer road. Not saying you can't enjoy, beer, bad food, and what not. Everything is obviously fine in moderation.

#offsoapbox

GoldPanther

TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
It's all about consistency and diet. Anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't know much. The hardest part about working out and exercise is just the routine and picking your ass up to go to the gym or do SOMETHING but not just once a week. 30's isn't a problem at all, hell some people have their best workout years in their late 20's to mid 30's. But if you aren't consistent you'll never see results. I wouldn't wait to start though, the l longer you put it off the harder it gets. Starting and exercise routine in your 40's or 50's is incredibly difficult to maintaining a lifestyle you started in your 20's or 30's.

It's amazing how fast a year of work can go down the tubes if you take 3 weeks or a month off. I can tell from injury it's depressing what 6 years of work for me went to after 4 months of not being able to work out. You have to start from the bottom again. Keep track of your workouts, track your gains and advancements and you'll start to little by little notice improvements. Then it's a maintenance game.

Besides that, eat right, don't binge constantly, and have self restraint and you'll be solid into your 60's. I see guys all the time working out who look like their 40 and you talk them and they are 61-62. It's shocking. Half of it's mental though. If you cave in your 30's and go "lite" on your once a week workout...it's going to be a much longer road. Not saying you can't enjoy, beer, bad food, and what not. Everything is obviously fine in moderation.

#offsoapbox
Best respond. Thank you so much man.

framos242

Drink the shot, pussy....
Sep 9, 2008
It's all about consistency and diet.

I will add rest to that as well.

I was 39 (almost 41) when I got a wake up call and decided to change my lifestyle. Was it difficult. Yes, it was in the beginning. I'm not going to lie about it.

Find some activity you can stick to if the gym won't do. I would get bored with the gym so I decided to find other means.

Good luck and don't give up!

GoldPanther

TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
I will add rest to that as well.

I was 39 (almost 41) when I got a wake up call and decided to change my lifestyle. Was it difficult. Yes, it was in the beginning. I'm not going to lie about it.

Find some activity you can stick to if the gym won't do. I would get bored with the gym so I decided to find other means.

Good luck and don't give up!
Thank you man. Now I think I'm in the correct age to work out.
I'm now looking forward to spend my 40's in my best shape and health possible.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
If you eat responsibly, you'll be fine.
This is a difficult task
you can say that again!!

ill dump like 6-8 lbs in 1 week of just eating DECENT. not clean or psycho.. just watching my portions and not CRAP from mcdonalds and stuff..
and thats all while drinking atleast 6 beers a day, and smoking a pack a day.

oh and absolutely no exercise other than walking to and from my toolbox or vehicles all day. once im home i park my ass on the couch with music and beer.

GoldPanther

TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
So, just an update to this matter.

I have two weeks doing the INSANITY dvd thing and I feel great, I don't do Saturday and Sundays thought because those are beer days. I must say, I haven't feel this good in 5 years. I am also lifting some 15 lb weights and I can tell my arms are getting in shape.
Summer is close and the beach is waiting for me, I must increase my Schwarzenegger level fast lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info