2016-2017 Chicago Bears Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Latest Bleacher Report has the Bears picking 11, not 10. There are several teams tied with the Bears at 6-10. I'm not sure who has strength of schedule. Previous reports said 10, today it's 11.

Anyways...

Early QB draft choices.

Jared Goff

2016 NFL Draft: What makes Jared Goff the best QB in the draft - SBNation.com

Paxton Lynch

Coach: Scouts say Paxton Lynch likely to be 1st QB drafted in '16 - NFL.com

Connor Cook

McShay: 'Concerns' could keep MSU's Cook out of first round

There's a chance all three will be gone by pick 11. A lot of teams need QBs.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I thought QBs are a dime a dozen and everyone but the Bears had a good one. :s00ls:

Next year should feel like a double dip with a #11 pick, and last years #7 pick both taking the field for the first time.

bmoore04

TCG Elite Member
Jul 30, 2010
Winfield IL
I agree the Bears need LBs. As I mentioned in last year's thread, this is the guy I would target in the first round if one of the top 2 QBs is no longer available.

Reggie Ragland ILB, Alabama Crimson Tide,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5m-AlIheWg

He has been a stud all year. Only concern I could possibly have is the amount of talent around him.

bmoore04

TCG Elite Member
Jul 30, 2010
Winfield IL
So let's draft Reuben Foster, too, and potentially have one of the best ILB combos in the league in a couple years.

He is a great run stopper. Needs some work in his pass coverage but I was mostly talking about the D-line. Alabama has 3 D linemen potentially going in the first round. (Reed, Robinson, and Allen) Makes a LBs job easy when those guys eat up all the blocks and he gets to clean up.

edit: other nice thing about foster is he can play special teams. He has plenty of huge hits over the last couple years.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I understand. I like Ragland's speed and power. He's like a guided missile heading for the ball carrier and he hits hard when he gets there.

Bears need so much improvement on talent they can take the best athletes available for most of the draft. A D Lineman and an O Lineman are also big needs... and Safeties... and CB...

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
The Bears don't need a QB. They need offensive linemen, defensive linemen and linebackers.

This for sure. Stiffen up that OL and improve on the D, and keep healthy, I think it will be an interesting race in the division next year.

Jay Cutler isn't the long term answer, and the longer the Bears wait, the harder it's going to become...IF there's a developmental prospect that slips, like Carson Wentz (North Dakota State), I would love for the Bears to pick him up. All indications are that Fales is a career backup...so the time should be now to start looking at either a high round pick or a lower round developmental project. Ideally, you don't want to be picking in the top-5 (which means your team is a hot mess) to snag a QB that is likely immediately startable/impactful (Mariota/Wintston/Luck/etc.)

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Jay Cutler isn't the long term answer, and the longer the Bears wait, the harder it's going to become...IF there's a developmental prospect that slips, like Carson Wentz (North Dakota State), I would love for the Bears to pick him up. All indications are that Fales is a career backup...so the time should be now to start looking at either a high round pick or a lower round developmental project. Ideally, you don't want to be picking in the top-5 (which means your team is a hot mess) to snag a QB that is likely immediately startable/impactful (Mariota/Wintston/Luck/etc.)

Cutler is an average QB. He's got a 1 playoff win. He's not going to win us a Super Bowl.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
What I see as the Bears biggest weakness is run stopping and coverage in the middle of the field in the 5-10 yd range. How many times do we see QBs make an easy pass to the TE or slot WR in this area that goes for 10 yds or more? Usually, McClellin or Jones are trailing badly and in no position to make the play.

If the Bears could pull off a coup and grab Ragland with their first pick and Foster with 2nd or 3rd, the Bears would have a completely different look over the middle of the field and they'd have a new special teams hitter who is going to make kick returners' lives difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljikKiIMJ3o

bmoore04

TCG Elite Member
Jul 30, 2010
Winfield IL
What I see as the Bears biggest weakness is run stopping and coverage in the middle of the field in the 5-10 yd range. How many times do we see QBs make an easy pass to the TE or slot WR in this area that goes for 10 yds or more? Usually, McClellin or Jones are trailing badly and in no position to make the play.

If the Bears could pull off a coup and grab Ragland with their first pick and Foster with 2nd or 3rd, the Bears would have a completely different look over the middle of the field and they'd have a new special teams hitter who is going to make kick returners' lives difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljikKiIMJ3o

This is one of the guys I mentioned earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLkqdh2Gcaw

315+ LB defensive lineman a'shawn robinson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info