Diabetes Tour de Cure Bike Ride!

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
Did a ~ 67 mile bike ride yesterday in the Tour de Cure for Diabetes. Thank you to those who contributed for this great cause. It was a hell of a ride that started with a deluge for the first 45 min. But being wet as a drowned rat helped later providing "air-conditioning" as the ride progressed.

Here's my Sportracker recording of the route and times. Really helped to have a group of riders to work with. Our average speed and overall times were much better than I originally expected.

A damn good bike makes a ride like this relatively "easier. Worth every penny.

Carbon fiber, yeah baby! Well done.

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
Nice man! I saw some signs for that on the fox river trail this weekend

Yeah, we started off from the Two Brothers Roundhouse in Aurora. Nice place especially if you like micro-brews. Raining like a fire hose at the 6:30am start. We followed the trail for a while before heading for the roads. This was for the 65 and 100 mile rides. The shorter rides were all trails even going through Fermi Lab area. The 65 mile ride went up to Maple Park w stop at Acquaviva Winery/Restaurant ( nice place). The 100 miler's kept heading north, and the 65 milers turned around to head back to Aurora. We actually rode faster the second half or the ride, doing 17-20mph in segments.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
ugh. you were one of them.. im sorry.

i was honking all day for those cocksuckers to get out of the fucking way while driving down around my house running errands. these mother fuckers taking up a whole lane, going like 20mph, not obeying traffic signals..

it took some serious control on my part NOT to walk along the course with 18" pieces of 1x1's to toss through the front wheels..

UGH end rant.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
PS, [MENTION=10801]Ti28[/MENTION] also dislikes this.

We had the million fucking dick head indian march in Bartlett Sunday! God I was fucking fuming. I couldnt go where I needed to because they had the roads blocked off, so I had to take the long ways!

cd55ae05e45e0db7758e24c2c80c935f.jpg

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
it took some serious control on my part NOT to walk along the course with 18" pieces of 1x1's to toss through the front wheels..

UGH end rant.

We left at 6:30 am so doubtful our group was the one you had issues with.Know anyone w diabetes? I appreciate your restraint in not attempting to seriously injure riders who raised $500,000 for a diabetes cure otherwise I would have to refer to you as a scumbag.

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
Not in that group, no. If I recall correctly, this intersection was close to the end of the ride and we did have a group of about 10 riders waiting at the light. Went straight from here onto Fox River Trail headed to Two Brothers. VERY LOOOOOOONG light and we had a squad car with us.

In the group I was with, one of the guys had a mirror and he would call out if there were cars approaching from the rear, at which point we'd single file it onto the shoulder if there was one. Most drivers were very accommodating and courteous. Several times, we would be stopped at intersection and vehicles w right of way would stop and wave us through. :jg:

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
All the money spent on bike paths and you guys want to ride in the road.

I ride the Fox River Trail quite a bit. Some very pretty areas on segments of it going from Aurora up to Crystal Lake. BUT I don't use it to "banzai" the trail.
The pavement is a thin layer of asphalt and there are spots where plants push up through along w tree root burrowing underneath it. Makes a rough trail for a road bike. And dangerous in terms of falls. If you're looking for speed, the road is more open, generally in better shape (smoother), and you don't have recreational riders, runners, in-line skaters etc. using the path. That's why rides of this or longer start out in the early morning. Get off the road before its too busy. Same visibility issue as motorcycles in terms of getting people to "see" you. The roads we're on were pretty empty and we did residential streets whenever possible.

rz79

TCG Elite Member
Jun 29, 2009
I ride the Fox River Trail quite a bit. Some very pretty areas on segments of it going from Aurora up to Crystal Lake. BUT I don't use it to "banzai" the trail.
The pavement is a thin layer of asphalt and there are spots where plants push up through along w tree branch burrowing underneath it. Makes a rough trail for a road bike. And dangerous in terms of falls. If you're looking for speed, the road is more open, generally in better shape (smoother), and you don't have recreational riders, runners, in-line skaters etc. using the path. That's why rides of this or longer start out in the early morning. Get off the road before its too busy. Same visibility issue as motorcycles in terms of getting people to "see" you. The roads we're on were pretty empty and we did residential streets whenever possible.
100% correct. There is no way, especially on a weekend or even after normal work hours a roadie or even a cross biker can obtain the pace they can on a road. Between all the other users it's just not safe.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
The pavement is a thin layer of asphalt and there are spots where plants push up through along w tree branch burrowing underneath it. Makes a rough trail for a road bike. And dangerous in terms of falls. If you're looking for speed, the road is more open, generally in better shape (smoother), and you don't have recreational riders, runners, in-line skaters etc. using the path. That's why rides of this or longer start out in the early morning. Get off the road before its too busy. Same visibility issue as motorcycles in terms of getting people to "see" you. The roads we're on were pretty empty and we did residential streets whenever possible.
All of the cyclists should have your mentality and logic. Thank you.

But the other dipshits are what piss me off......

Case in point, the fox bike trail along rt25 in north aurora and batavia..... is the trail is right there why do they ride 3 wide and 4 deep taking up the whole lane in a 50mph zone... it sure would be saferr in my opinion to take the path or go single file on the right side of the lane

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
All of the cyclists should have your mentality and logic. Thank you.

But the other dipshits are what piss me off......

Case in point, the fox bike trail along rt25 in north aurora and batavia..... is the trail is right there why do they ride 3 wide and 4 deep taking up the whole lane in a 50mph zone... it sure would be saferr in my opinion to take the path or go single file on the right side of the lane

Although I'm not here to represent anyone else other than myself, I believe serious cyclists do have this same mentality and logic. Safety is number one and the people I rode with on Sunday definitely followed that. The casual riders were not doing 65-100 miles rides. Trust me. You've got good equipment and awareness of your surroundings. Constantly watching the road. In a way, its a bit meditative because you cannot be thinking of anything else or you get hurt. I took my eye off the trail for a couple of seconds last year to yell directions to some pedestrians and BAM! FRACTURED HIP. This ride was sort of my "proof of concept" that I could get back in the saddle. 65 miles is now my personal best.

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Illinois needs more bike lanes (not multi use paths).

Night and day difference between there and here. I can ride to work (10 miles) without being on a road without a dedicated bike lane. I could only go from my house to a fire station 3 miles away on a bike lane road in crystal lake.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info