Can we talk about this Cubs team?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
But before we do, a few notes.

1. I understand you might not be a Cubs fan. That's great for you. Really. I'm happy. Hit the back button. The Sox are a thing too and I root for them when they're in it but I don't need to hear how shitty the Cubs are. I already know. They have a legacy of being shitty. You're not sharing any new information. :rofl:

2. You might like the Cubs but hate Cubs fans. They just go to games to get drunk. They don't care about baseball. Opinions are like assholes. Yours stinks and I already shared it with the group so no need to re-iterate though I suspect you will anyhow.

So then, can we talk about this team? They are fantastic to watch and they're a bunch of scrappy young kids. I'm not saying they're a championship team and I'm not saying they're even a division winning team (Cardinals amirate?) but they're fun to watch because you see the potential. Even when they lose they're generally in it and they're hustling and they're being aggressive on the bases. It's just fun to watch.

It's not all rosy though. There are a lot of defensive mistakes and the pitching seems to have a tendency of falling apart as soon as they fall behind in the count or put a runner in scoring position but I can't help but to feel like we are so close to having something really good.

Am I the only one here watching? Discuss.

Now to sit back as everyone trolls me with pictures about how terrible the Cubs are. And... Go.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
giphy.gif

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
While I'm not a Cubs fan nor will I go to their stadium. I can respect that they are playing well. They spent $ and seem to have built a team that works well together.

I personally would love a sox Cubs World Series. I really only watch the playoffs and the World Series these days. I was and still am jaded by the baseball strike from 1994

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
^^This.^^

What I disliked about the Cubs was that year after year, they would collect as much money from fans as they could and not bother to try to make the team competitive. Priority 1 was the money. Wrigley and the Trib just cared about profits, not about winning World Series. If the Cubs have turned the corner and are actually putting together an organization that covets the trophy more than the profits, I'll watch them and enjoy every game they win.

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
The Cubs future is very bright. They have very good young talent. They need at least one more very good starting pitcher and some better bullpen pitchers.

I'm glad they're starting to renovate Wrigley Field. They just started the first phase of a 4-5 year project

KnightFan26917

Old Cars, Strong Hearts
Apr 28, 2009
Elgin IL
Am I the only one here watching?

Nope, you're not. Cubs fan all my life, for better or worse. You've made the observations I have. So many people think this could be a great season ... & it could ... but they tend to forget the Cardinals could win even if they lost all of their starters. They lost their ace, then went on a streak of wins. So, yeah.

Still, it's fun to watch the Cubs play. I've several friends who are White Sox fans & 2 of them have told me they've been watching Cubs games this year because of that "fun to watch" factor their team (so far) hasn't given them.

Wrigley and the Trib just cared about profits, not about winning World Series.

That's still all they care about. When the Tribune Co put the Cubs up for sale years ago they said they wanted NOTHING to do with the team. Yet, they still own at least 1% of the team ... PLUS have some of the TV rights. Not exactly proving themselves correct. Thank goodness the Cubs moved to WBBM radio, at least.

Cort :) OLD CARS, STRONG HEARTS | memories, even if the whole world has forgotten
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Baseball time is here again" __ Steve Goodman __ 'Go Cubs Go'

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
Yeah, I am a Sox fan. Cubs suck. Sox suck.

But it's a nice change in a long time to have some excitement in the Northside. I actually went to a Cubs playoff game in 2003 just so I could see postseason baseball thinking it would never happen again. It's been an interesting season for the Cubs. I will patiently wait till the all star break to hold judgment.

It's been a team of tragic loses forever. The only bit of bad luck left for them would be for a plane crash on their way to a game seven World Series game.

Go Cubs as my Sox aren't going :(

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
We need one more starter, preferably a veteran and a couple veteran bullpen guys. We have a lot of young pitching which is why they're collapsing into themselves 50% of the time they get a base runner and then fall behind in the count. It's like shit, they got someone on base with nobody out and the pitcher is in a 1-0 count. 50% of the time in that situation the wheels seem to fall off the wagon. A couple veterans are going to help calm them down so they're not in a full blown panic in those situations.

Right now it's like we got a team full of Carlos Marmols.

rz79

TCG Elite Member
Jun 29, 2009
[MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION]

I couldn't agree more, I haven't been excited about Cubs baseball in atleast 8 years.. I love what I'm seeing. I, like you agree that they may not be a championship team or even a division winner (as the cards are a powerhouse yet again) but the future is bright.

Now to address the hate.. I love it. I love that those who hate the Cubs (or just the fans, whatever that means) see that we as cub fans have something to cheer for something to believe in and they are afraid. At least my group of friends that are sox fans are.. The Cubs are on the verge of a very successful decade. add in the revamped and IMO best place to see a game, Wrigley Field and the south side has NOTHING.

Im ready!

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Loving what I'm seeing this year. Been a Cubs fan since youth wearing number 23 for Sandberg. That being said this is fairly exciting for us and looks really promising. I know we've heard this before, but these young players are showing heart and motivation. Something we've lacked for awhile. Can't wait to see the next 3 years as they gel together.

Agree with you mike we clearly need more in the rotation, pitching always seems to be the weakest link with injuries or just lack of talent.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I have to disagree. The v10 in the M5 is just a thing of beauty and outclasses the 6 cylinder turbo engines in the 535 in every way. What the v10 loses in daily drivability, it makes up ten fold in pure soul with high revving goodness. The driving dynamics of the M5 also outclass any other car of that size on the road. The 535 is a regular car, the M5 is an exotic guised as family sedan.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info