Outdoor Hockey

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Ok boys, the weather is getting better and I am itching to play some outdoor hockey. We have rinks in Schaumburg, Elk Grove, Naperville, that I know of. I am not really looking to travel further South than Naperville.

Who else is down to play? Do not worry about being any good....I am terrible.
[MENTION=4761]FSCC[/MENTION]
[MENTION=517]10sec[/MENTION]
[MENTION=724]frosty23_45[/MENTION]
[MENTION=10534]P40E[/MENTION]
[MENTION=8537]guspech750[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1881]Gwinn The Chinn[/MENTION]
[MENTION=10873]LilredII[/MENTION]

Bqf8wiF.gif

RuMJR0H.gif

wezP9fd.gif

8hY2RLN.gif

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
A sport court needs soft wheels .

Soft wheels on cement work awesome but you will burn them up instantly .

The type of wheel needed for sport court mainly depends on the weight of the player and style of skating the player desires. Most important is that the wheels have their outing coating still intact. If you take a brand new wheel and skate outdoors with it once it will be forever ruined for sport court play.

Is the sport court like a bunch of squares? That's what they had there.

Sport Court is the square plastic tiling that you typically see in certain indoor volleyball courts. There are also variations like Ice Court/Spider Court which has the tiles with holes in them like Naperville.

So this has me tempted...Any recommendations for inline skates? That can double as just casual skating too?

For just starting out I would recommend any entry level skate that is most comfortable. Comfort is going to be the biggest factor when buying skates initially because the performance of the skate has no benefit when you suck at skating.

Are you looking for traditional rollerblades? Any inline hockey skates will not have a brake on them. Do you have a wide foot? Wide toebox/narrow heel? Narrow foot?

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
When I was playing at burning blades in crystal lake they had a sport court floor and I was using 74a and 76a wheels . But greasy is a lot bigger guy than me .

Yeah for your weight you are definitely fine on a 74A, 76A if you want more speed.

I use 78A on the front and rear wheels and 82A in the middles. I have skated on 74A's at my current weight and it feels like I am skating in mud, so frustrating. Not to mention the durability goes WAY down too. :rofl:

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
This wheel talk is so confusing. I played on ice most of my life. I knew how to sharpen skates at different radius's but this wheel stuff made my brain hurt. :(

I would for sure need some softer wheels. That time I met up with you fellas. I could not make any cuts or crossover due to my wheels sliding. :(

What gives?

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
This wheel talk is so confusing. I played on ice most of my life. I knew how to sharpen skates at different radius's but this wheel stuff made my brain hurt. :(

I would for sure need some softer wheels. That time I met up with you fellas. I could not make any cuts or crossover due to my wheels sliding. :(

What gives?

We all had that problem, it was the surface and not your wheels. I am not sure if the surface was dirty or had some type of shitty coating on it. Those were new tiles in that rink and the old ones had MUCH more grip.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Are you looking for traditional rollerblades? Any inline hockey skates will not have a brake on them. Do you have a wide foot? Wide toebox/narrow heel? Narrow foot?

No brake is fine, I take them off when I used to buy skates anyway. I have a normal width foot when it comes to fitting in shoes (don't need to buy wide), but I do have a flat foot if that helps any. I'm not new to skating, I just haven't done it in a while..Used to rollerblade and ice skate all the time.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
That's not a terrible ride for me, I'm in. I need to post up what blades I have so you can tell me what tires to buy. I don't have any equipment, I'd be down for playing with a street ball so I just have a huge red spot instead of a hospital trip.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info