Finally made the teardown team!!

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
I've been wanting to do this since freshman year and I finally passed the placement test with the highest score :D

For those who don't know what it is, it's a High School competition where different schools have a team of 5 who go to compete. Everyone gets the same motor and has to take it down to the bare block and put it all back together properly. Whoever does it correctly and the fastest wins. My school usually does good but hasn't got first place in a few years so hopefully our team this year can change that!!

Did anyone else do this or the Ford AAA contest in high school?

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I did it in high school.... We only had 4 hours as a team to practice before the event, and we placed 8th out of 17...... It is tons of fun... Is it still the Ford 5.4 Motor?

And WE tested to do the troubleshooting comp, we were split into two teams, and if we would have arranged it better (I scored high enough, and so did one other guy in the other group) we would have been able to go

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
I did it in high school.... We only had 4 hours as a team to practice before the event, and we placed 8th out of 17...... It is tons of fun... Is it still the Ford 5.4 Motor?

And WE tested to do the troubleshooting comp, we were split into two teams, and if we would have arranged it better (I scored high enough, and so did one other guy in the other group) we would have been able to go

I don't know what motor it is yet but we're gonna be practicing everyday after school so hopefully we'll get first!!

And ya the Ford AAA troubleshooting thing is intense too, I'm hoping to qualify for that also. I didn't compete last year but I went and our school got 2nd (fuck you Fremd :))

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I don't know what motor it is yet but we're gonna be practicing everyday after school so hopefully we'll get first!!

And ya the Ford AAA troubleshooting thing is intense too, I'm hoping to qualify for that also. I didn't compete last year but I went and our school got 2nd (fuck you Fremd :))

Yeah, you at Hoffman right, Tell Walser I said Hi

b00ya

AHHHH!!
Jun 10, 2008
Aurora
I've been wanting to do this since freshman year and I finally passed the placement test with the highest score :D

For those who don't know what it is, it's a High School competition where different schools have a team of 5 who go to compete. Everyone gets the same motor and has to take it down to the bare block and put it all back together properly. Whoever does it correctly and the fastest wins. My school usually does good but hasn't got first place in a few years so hopefully our team this year can change that!!

Did anyone else do this or the Ford AAA contest in high school?

My buddy won the Ford AAA back in 02 when we were in school. My brother also won 1st in IL VICA back in 97 and placed 27th in the nation. I was in those programs but I suck at written tests and got fucked outta all the comps cuz of it.

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
So far, we got a hold of our practice engine (283) and have been practicing atleast 5 times a week just tearing it down and putting it back together. Our record time with the 283 so far is 45 minutes (19 minute teardown, 26 minute re-assembly) which is extremely well. The 350 is going to be a little different since they're gonna have aluminum heads on it, a different dizzy, roller rockers and lifters, and some different bolt sizes, but our engine is still close enough to it to practice on.

The competition is on March 5th and 6th in St. Charles (I forgot the name of the place), but it's also a convention center and there are gonna be vendors and stuff there. It's a real good spot to get parts for cheap! And word is that Mr. Edelbrock is going to be there also!

If anyone is interested into going, just LMK, because I can have a list of Friends and Family all which get in for free! I'll find out the exact place and location on Monday and let you guys know.

Some pic's:

Engine tore down to the block and painted:

17378_1242340815714_1145130297_30663573_7638209_n.jpg

Starting to put everything back on. Replaced the Cast iron intake manifold with an Edelbrock Aluminum one, exhaust manifolds with headers, and painted the timing chain cover:

17378_1242340855715_1145130297_30663574_3797338_n.jpg

All put back together:

17378_1242347335877_1145130297_30663579_5258761_n.jpg

And the team (I'm the tall brown kid :p):

17378_1242347375878_1145130297_30663580_8317194_n.jpg

Like I said, Just let me know if you're interested in going. I haven't been there yet but I heard it was a nice convention and a great place to buy parts! And also if anyone has a good video camera and can record our team doing the teardown, it would be greatly appreciated!

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
Nope, gaskets and everything are legit. Yea everything has to be torqued to spec. There are judges that watch your every move to see if you're doing it right and if you do anything wrong, you get time penalties.

And SSEi, the teardown competition is at Pheasant run. It's usually 10 bucks to get into the convention but just LMK if you wanna go and I'll put you on my guest list so it's free! A guy on chi-town racing said that Vic Edelbrock is there every event along with his daughter. He also said they give out free hats, shirts, stickers, etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info