đź’¦ Detailing 16 Hr Detail v. World of Wheels Duramax

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Patient: 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax. 12" Cognito Lift, 24x14 forged aluminum 1 piece wheels and 40" Toyo Tires.

The vehicle was purchased as a daily driver around 2010 ( I will confirm with the owner ). I believe the truck has 190K miles.

From daily driver to show / monster truck.

The owner is one of the installers @ work. I saw him at a couple local car shows and he inquired about a spring detail. About 3-4 weeks ago he asked how warm It had to be in order to get it done. He was interested in filling out an application for the World of Wheels. His application was accepted, so we scheduled the work.

I stopped there last week to kind of run through what I would need to do.
I posted the swirled bed picture in the detailing thread...
I arrived Saturday around 2:30pm. He had previously rinsed the truck after he worked on the frame. Rinseless wash and clay... with multiple trips under the truck... Yes, crawling underneath to get to the other side because it barely fits in the garage. Luckily the owner moved the ladder while I moved my materials.
In order to save time, I polished and sealed the roof, polished the hood and applied the glass coating to the rear glass all on Saturday. The 8ft ladder was no longer needed.
After a brief pizza / dinner break, I used the driver side bed panel as my test area for what products / pads would be used. Of course my goal was a 1 step correction taking the size of the vehicle into consideration. Once the sealant was removed from the roof it was now 10pm, home to bed.

Sunday Started @ 7:30am, straight to polishing. As I went along on the driver side, I was not happy with the results... It was then that I knew I was in for the long haul, yes, a 2 step correction. So without further blabbing, here is the process and products:

Wash: Wolfgang Rinseless Wash
Clay: Wolfgang Rinseless Wash with a small drop of CG Mr Pink for added lubrication... CG fine Clay mitt
1st step: Menzerna FG400 compound, orange lake country polishing pad via Rupes LHR 15 markII
2nd step: Menzerna super finish 3500, orange lake country polishing pad via same machine
Panel wipe: Wolfgang Perfekt Finish
Sealant: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Last weeks first impression:
ACisiy0.jpg

Upon Arrival on Saturday, I tried to get some sun shots:
fwuKUeX.jpg

GwqKBIW.jpg

washed, clayed and now taped for testing:
FVfQCGb.jpg

1st pass with the FG 400:
3gAgRWW.jpg

Roof, polished and sealed:
eQiicjd.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
saved for editing

okay, to continue...

Tailgate after 2nd step:
zd7kRcA.jpg

Driver door after 2nd step...notice the door molding still looks swirled. Since these were urethane or rubber or some shit, I had to use the Porter cable, a 4" white polishing pad and the 3500 to correct them ( not done yet in the picture )

eH1uhpi.jpg

Driver fender after 2nd step:
Bliuv13.jpg

Sealant applied via porter cable and a 4" red finishing pad:

YnOz6hb.jpg

Passenger side complete:
9xTnnTy.jpg

AK908RE.jpg

If I had to rate the truck, I would say the paint was corrected 80-85%, you can see here, some deeper scratches. Inspection with scangrip color match pen:
nHwS69R.jpg

DlTUis4.jpg

The owner looks happy :rofl:
udvQjCE.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Holy difference batman! WELL DONE GOOD SIR.

thank you :bigthumb:

Beautiful work! Now rest those hands! That’s why I never let my cars get so trashed that it would need a 16 hour correction. I bet that cost him an arm and a leg.

It cost him enough :rofl: I had a long conversation on what products to use and what not to use... It seems as though he got roped into a Chemical guys bundle and was using the Citrus wash and wax and V07 spray sealant.
While these are not "bad" products... If the dilution ratio for the citrus wash is not followed correctly, it becomes a STRIP WASH. The V07, from what I have read may contain alcohol because it evaporates quickly... I advised not to use either product on the truck :ws:

If dooty didn't have both cab corners rotting off and roof rusting through it would be next in line!

That is some amazing work!

sad info on the dooty meng, but thanks for the kind words !!
how's that camaro's paint ? :naughty:

Damn Sam, nice work!
How about some free advertisement at WOW for you?

thank you ! My mom is putting together a poster board thing a mabob to put with his display at the show

Holy crap man, Great job!! No one would believe that paint has that many miles on it. Good shit.

Yeah, the paint on the passenger side front lower area is a bit thin...the entire bed was replaced last year but all other panels are original... so not bad for an ole girl. Thanks !

Damn thats a big bitch and Iike it!!

Thats a hell of a job!! Paint looks wayyyy better. :fy:

Now the real question is when you wanna make a trip to ND :rofl:

Thank you.... do you pay mileage ? :rofl:

Damn. You are a champion. I just washed and quick detailed my 235 this weekend and Im still sore :rofl: I could not even imagine maintaining a vehicle that size.

:fy: ( queen is playing in my head... I am the champion....I am the.... :rofl: )

Yeah, my truck is big enough as it is, and it's not black... He will have his hands full for sure

Video should be out in the next day or so

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Unfortunately I've got someone who has done that car already twice so that territory is locked in!

It was locked in from the factory, thanks to GM's "new" water based paint booths! The clear coats on those earlier water based cars never held, and often delaminated in the worst cases.

I have horror pictures of the GTA. And its difficult to look at those pics. Clearcoat on the hood/roof completely gone. Base coat peeling showing the primer underneath and taking stains from everything.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info