đź’¦ Detailing Plastidip- removal Question. Am I about to F* up my paint?

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Trying to clean up my car before the winter. Paint definitely needs some love. Current project is removing the 3yr old sunbaked plastidip from the roof and certain trim pieces. Read online that RainX Bug and tar remover was easier than goo gone so I tried it and made some good progress. Then I noticed that where the plastidip was that I removed with the RainX, the paint had yellowed. I had removed about half the roof by hand before using the RainX so it's pretty obvious when I switched. Question for the detail experts, if I were to continue can I restore the paint after the fact to remove the yellow stain or should I be looking at a new method altogether. I was trying to avoid buying the $30 dip remover bottle.

Update: tried to take some photos but it doesn't really show in difference in color. It is visible in person though

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Is the paint white and the microfiber yellow?

No it's red. Going to try again with the photo in a bit. It was getting kind of dark yesterday.

I’d be more concerned if clay bar, a light polish or even a cleaner wax didn’t remove it.

That was my thought process. I'd figured that would bring it back to my crystal white. Paint is probably only 6 months old under the dip. Just wanted to verify since someone told me I was going to ruin the finish.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
On my car I feel like the plastiDip reacted with my WolfGang sealant I had on my hood and made a hazy layer above the paint. Some aggressive polishing later and it was all good.

I have a bad feeling your paint may have been stained. Best way to tell is to wet sand it and see if that helps remove any of it...

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Also, your original post confuses the hell out of me. The paint is 6 months old, but the plasti dip was on there for 3 years? How?

Also, when you removed by hand it didn't stain? It only stained when you used rain x?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info