💦 Detailing Bringing your own supplies to a coin op carwash

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Anyone ever do it? I really really want to wash the car more, but I every place around me is a touch car wash, or a coin op that most of the time has the brush left on the ground. Fuck that.

I got the idea from watching this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ32CqvgtMA

I dont know if I want to buy 2 of the buckets at once, but they sell a kit with the bucket, grit guard, bucket seal, wash and gloss cleaner, and a scratch free wash pad for $40.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U522GO/?tag=tcg21-20

Figure I need to get a wheel cleaning brush as well since the new pads did their initial dusting and the wheels look terrible now. :tear:

Am I wasting my time? I only suggest this since I do live in a condo and no place to wash my car, and while Id love to just pay someone to do it *cough* [MENTION=344]Gav'sPurpleZ[/MENTION] [MENTION=150]Euro[/MENTION] *cough* I feel this is something I need to be able to do.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I used to do this with my GTI all the time. Try and go at an off time or one that isn't busy and just be aware of other people who might be waiting. In my experience they won't care.

I'd spend $1-2 dollars prepping the car and filling the buckets, maybe using some of their pre-soak and give everything a good high pressure rinse to get big stuff off. Then spend some time with the sponges and wheel brushes washing the car and then another $1-2 rinsing. As long as no one was waiting I'd even dry the car in the bay. Since its was in the shade you really don't get any waterspots and can even do a quick spray wax or something. When you are done throw all the mits, sponges, brushes in one bucket and products in the other. The best part if you don't have to roll up the hose!

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Most do it yourself washes that I have been to have signs that say no bucket washing.
I think i commented on the video posted... He starts at the bottom of the back of the car.
That's not right.... BAD.

Anyways, a thorough rinse @ a place like that is okay... Do you have a parking spot @ your condo ? If so, then a 2 bucket rinseless wash would be a better way to go.

Why waste the $ on a wash bucket etc if the DIY place kicks you out for bringing a bucket ?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I do this every time. But I usually wait until they are closed. The one I used to go to in McHenry specifically had signs that said no bucket washing. The one in CL I go to now does not. But I take no chances with idiot attendants. I just wait until 6 or 7pm and take my soap, bucket, wash mit and my drying towel. Then I pump the machine with the first round of coins. Do a spray wash and at the last minute I fill the bucket with rinse water and my soap. Then I hand wash the car with my mit. Then pump the machine again with more coins to start it up, then I do the rinse and spot free rinse with the wand. I never touch my car with their brush.

Then I dry it there. Lots of clean filtered water. And the place is usually dead. Just gets a little buggy sometimes. But this process has never failed me. I usually wait until my wife and kids are wound down for the night. Then I go.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
[MENTION=95]Fish[/MENTION] You can probably find a place like that somewhere that does not care. But, back in my early days of when I started detailing (15+ years ago) there was a place in the city that let me bring my own buckets/supplies as long as I kept feeding the machine. It is still business. Nowadays, they want everyone in and out as quickly as possible.

Chicago Auto pros charges a very reasonable amount to clean a car/truck and Glenview is not far from you. Same with the Glendale heights location.

You could also drive up to Ktraver and get your car washed. He's not far from you. Shoot him a PM.

On any given day, if my life was not a clusterfuck, I'd be happy to have you over to get your car cleaned up (free of course, just bring beer) but, my days of detailing and using all of my toys are at a halt.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Hell yeah man! I wanted to do that, but, doubt my back could handle full-time detailing like that.

Hard enough doing the 4 hour washes it takes now, let alone full multiple-stage corrections + seal/coating, etc.

Keep up the good work man. Makes me miss it that much more, so the next time I start to work, I'll appreciate it more.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Most do it yourself washes that I have been to have signs that say no bucket washing.
I think i commented on the video posted... He starts at the bottom of the back of the car.
That's not right.... BAD.

Anyways, a thorough rinse @ a place like that is okay... Do you have a parking spot @ your condo ? If so, then a 2 bucket rinseless wash would be a better way to go.

Why waste the $ on a wash bucket etc if the DIY place kicks you out for bringing a bucket ?

I do but no water anywhere. Plus its under a tree that likes to shed. So fuck that.

I know I was watching a ChrisFix vid on cleaning and he mentions starting at the top and working down. I always did that in the past when going to a coin op. Just made more sense to me. :rofl:

[MENTION=95]Fish[/MENTION] You can probably find a place like that somewhere that does not care. But, back in my early days of when I started detailing (15+ years ago) there was a place in the city that let me bring my own buckets/supplies as long as I kept feeding the machine. It is still business. Nowadays, they want everyone in and out as quickly as possible.

Chicago Auto pros charges a very reasonable amount to clean a car/truck and Glenview is not far from you. Same with the Glendale heights location.

You could also drive up to Ktraver and get your car washed. He's not far from you. Shoot him a PM.

On any given day, if my life was not a clusterfuck, I'd be happy to have you over to get your car cleaned up (free of course, just bring beer) but, my days of detailing and using all of my toys are at a halt.

I know it wouldnt cost much to go to CAP, or KTraver, or anyone else here, but to do that every time cause I dont wanna scratch my car? That gets a little expensive. :rofl: CAP did do their complementary wash on my car when the tint was done last Friday, but they either didnt pay much attention to the rims, or they just got that dirty again. I am not gonna complain. I was there for window tint, the car wash was just a bonus.

I was just at Ace hardware for some lube for my printer bearings, and almost bought a couple buckets, but I really like the idea of just setting up those here and just bringing them ready. I dont know. Maybe just buy one bucket for the rinse or soap, and buy one those kits for the rest. IIRC the closest coin op one for me I think is Elk Grove on Devon and Nerge.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
what is the vehicle in question ? A full detail + ceramic coating could be a viable option.
This way, less than " professional" washes, the coating "should" help reduce washing induced swirls etc.

‘18 Hyundai Sonata.

It’s no racer, but I want to try and keep it looking nice as long as I can.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

I know. I’ll probably get one anyway but it would cost me way less to print. Lol.

So I said screw it and took it to the coin op. Just needed to wash some of the grime off. Only used the spray soap and rinse only. Forgot my microfiber cloths and no towels so the wheels aren’t 100 percent but look way better with wheel cleaner and a brush I bought.

Used some bug cleaner on bad spots and bird poop to help get it off.

Of course look where the car wash brush is.
323e6f4e0e89946d468589d6a1b81d41.jpg

08daba4352aab84389ba99bde83123b7.jpg

5e9b7afea44d110e8e8aa54268028c5e.jpg

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
A small container with some supplies can be kept in the trunk.
this way you have some supplies with you at all times

For sure. I actually bought a trunk organizer for that and other things. I just happened to use the last of my microfiber clothes and just washed them, but left them at home.

402169c1d07b2c294eb373c68056b567.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info