2001 Nissan Xterra

Forsale I have a 2001 Nissan Xterra SE (SE is the highest trim on these)
Its Sand/Gold in color
Grey Cloth Interior
92K miles on the Odometer
4X4
V6
Full Size Spare
Sunroof
Hitch
I've been TOLD it has $1000 in recent brake work (I believe Pads/Rotors/Shoes all around), will confirm later.
Body is 99% free of rust; Rear bumper has some, but I intended to clean/seal/paint it as the bumpers on these are not body colored.

Going to just start out the gates with $4000 obo (not many comparable low-mileage examples)

I will update with detailed pics once I've gone through it. If there is no history on the timing belt; I will either replace it, or price accordingly before anyone asks as this is a Belt and not a Chain driven motor.

The 3.3 V6 (No Supercharger)is in the VG Family, so think 300ZX, 2003 and older Maxima, etc. These are not generally known as problematic motors.

Aftermarket Headunit with Bluetooth/Aux/USB Input, reasonably new JVC Double Din unit, works perfect.

This is a First gen truck (rectangle headlights),and isn't impacted by that whole Trans cooler shared channels with the radiator thing came along.

For those who are genuinely interested; I found this article here:

What to Look For When Buying a GEN1 Xterra - Nissan Xterra Forum

I'm going to be going through each of these items to make sure they are not immediate, or looming problems.

Last edited:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Timing belt service is cake on those. I had a 1st gen Pathfinder with the 3.0 VG, and it had nearly 225k on it when I sold it to a pizza delivery kid. They will in fact, run forever.:hitit:

I've been told its not terrible; I just like to be completely open when listing cars on forums/boards as I don't want someone to snap the damn belt on this thing after a week and be coming at me with torches and pitchforks :jg:

If this was Craiglist I'd hit it with a garden house and call it "Minty"

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Those trucks do pretty well off road. They tend to have awful resale value too which is generally pretty perfect for building a wheeling rig. The other cool thing is the stronger titan steering, diff and axles are practically a bolt in affair.

Resale value isn't bad at all, the initial DEPRECIATION was/ is bad. My asking price is inline for it's miles and options, and I'm surprised they go for this much.

Resale value of EXPLORERS is horrific.

FlyinGTP

Regular
Apr 25, 2008
Elk Grove
Resale value isn't bad at all, the initial DEPRECIATION was/ is bad. My asking price is inline for it's miles and options, and I'm surprised they go for this much.

Resale value of EXPLORERS is horrific.

I didn't think you were all that out of line with the price. I've just noticed they are pretty affordable that's all. Yeah explorers are the worst by far. I've noticed older grand Cherokee resale is back on the climb.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I didn't think you were all that out of line with the price. I've just noticed they are pretty affordable that's all. Yeah explorers are the worst by far. I've noticed older grand Cherokee resale is back on the climb.

Capability per $ when it comes to a compact 'trail rig' is very affordable, this is true.

The front overhangs are SO short compared to my explorer, and even with a TT on my Explorer, the Xterra has a better approach angle and clearance.

Having a true low range Xfer case also blows the explorer out of the water.

Granted 99% of the time it simply won't be off road sadly :hsugh:

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I have had 3 vehicles with the single cam VG motors go for over 200k miles. Only thing to worry about is changing the belt as they are interference motors but in this configuration it is easy.

Also nerd fact. Maxima's stopped using this motor in 1994, 1995 was the first year of using the VQ series. They still used the VG30E motor in the minivans up until like 1998 though.

Clean car!

Thread Info