2000 Firebird Base

2000 Firebird Base - offered $3100...will sell today!!!

I bought a car and now I'm selling my 2000 Pontiac Firebird. Though this is the BASE (3800 Series III) V6 with a 5 speed manual transmission, the car is pretty peppy. The car is Red with an Ebony Interior and has 129,500 miles. I am still driving the car, until it sells, so the mileage will go up. I average over 22 City and around 30 Highway on 87 octane gas. The A/C blows cold and I have never had to have it serviced.

When I bought the car, I Had to replace the exhaust. I found an SLP Loudmouth II in Milwaukee, and installed a Magnaflow muffler because it was too loud. If interested, I still have the Loudmouth "muffler". Then, about a month ago, I drove over a speed bump and scraped the $#!t out of the exhaust. I looked at it and decided not to mess with it too much, because I didn't feel like (possibly) breaking the exhaust. In all honesty, it will most likely need a catback.

There is a dent behind the drivers side door from someone backing into me. It's really hard to see in the photo's I take of it. It wouldn't be a hard fix, but you will have to remove the rear side panel and speaker to gain access to the back side of the dent.

The check engine light comes on but goes off. The last time I scanned it, it read as a bad ground wire. I tried to locate it, but I'll be damned if I can find it. I gave up after replacing/making new ground wires, after a few weeks of dealing with it.

The car has the locking hatch roof (a.k.a. T-Tops), with the optional factory shades. It also has the Monsoon Stereo with CD player. As with most G.M. cars of this era, the CD player does not work, and the display does not light up. If the sun is beating down on the radio display, you can see the display working.

The power antenna shaft was replaced about 30 minutes ago (around 7/16/2004 at 10:00 am) and works perfectly. The replacement part cost just under $76.00 (shipped) from hawksthirdgenparts.com. The shaft is made out of stainless and has NO play in it at all! Super high quality part!

I have an extra 16" wheel and tire for the car which WILL COME WITH THE CAR! One rim had all kinds of curb rash. I got rid of that rim because I was tired of destroying my wash rags. When I managed to find a new rim (on here) I had to buy 2.

WHAT THE CAR CAN USE OR NEEDS and/ or PROBLEMS:

1). It's almost due for an oil change.

2). The radio works, but display does not...as described above.

3). The original owner smoked in the car. The person I bought the car from 3 years ago did not smoke, nor did I. There is, however, a small burn hole in the drivers seat. There is also a small area near the cigarette lighter, where the owner missed putting the lighter back in and singed the plastic a little.

4). The car could use an alignment. I did not have it re-aligned after this last winter.

5). Possible exhaust work as described above. If interested, I have a factory dual exhaust, from the area of the hump (for the rear axle) back.

6). There is a short 1 1/2 inch crack in the passengers side inner door skin. This is a VERY common problem in 93-02 F-Body's. Drivers side is almost perfect.

7). The passengers side power window goes up really slow. Sometimes it sticks and I have to wait a short while to roll it up. When I was replacing the courtesy light (I pulled off the inner door skin) I saw that the power window motor riveted in place and is original to the car. According to what I have read on LS1tech, this is a common problem and easily replaced.

8). There are 2 dents on the car (one pictured, but hard to see). One is located directly behind the drivers side door. The other is located directly above the drivers side tail light. There are also a few scuffs on the rear bumper, where some idito backed into me. They also cracked the drivers side tail light. If interested, I have a decent looking replacement, but his has a cracked mounting screw, which can be repaired with some time and J/B weld.

9). The neighbor kid ran his bike into the back of the car and scuffed the hard plastic panel between the two tail lights. A simple buff will take care of this.

10). When I replaced the clutch last year, I also replaced the slave cylinder. For some reason (and not all of the time), the clutch pedal seems to stick to the floor for a split second when you go to release it. I was told I should have replaced it with a slave cylinder which you can bleed...good info, and something I could have used BEFORE I went and replaced it with a stock unit.

I am asking $4,100 on Craigslist, but will give someone on here a little better deal. Plus, if you want to make a package deal, we can work something out. I have all kinds of extra parts, which I will be posting up on here in the near future...including:

- Nitrous Express N2O Kit (asking $500)
- Edelbrock Progressive Tuner (Unused asking $200)
- Base Firebird Trans AM hood (Black) - NOT WS-6 - (Asking $100)
- Set of WS-6 rims. These were powder coated, but I stripped the coating off of 2 of them. Center caps incl. (asking $500)
- Set of BMR F-Body Trailing Arms (Asking $100)
- Whisper Air Lid (Very RARE, you will not find another - asking $200)
- SLP Air Lid (asking $100)
- Crane Cam's 105 # Springs (asking $90)
- ZZP 10% underdrive H2O Pulley (asking $40)
- Firebird/Grand Prix etc. steering wheel column and wheel (no radio buttons - best offer over $20)
- Bunch of other stuff

Last edited:

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
[MENTION=344]Gav'sPurpleZ[/MENTION] They are rare because they didn't sell a whole heck of a lot of them. From what I was told on FullthrottleV6, trying to find one is like searching for hen's teeth. Being yours is carbon fiber, I can only imagine how many of those there are.

The SLP lid is in my '91 T/A. I will try to get a pic up A.S.A.P.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
Bring it to the one in Naperville, and ask for Tom to help you. He's a member here (Aircal). I work there also, but I'm racing my own 3800 manual trans Firebird (96) this weekend at LeMons. :)

Over the weekend, some family stuff came up and I couldn't make it down there. Any chance you ( [MENTION=3601]Dan00Hawk[/MENTION] ) or [MENTION=842]Aircal[/MENTION] may be interested in the car?

P.S. Your signature is better than mine

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
Took to Car-Max in Schaumburg (because Naperville is about 2 hours away), and they offered me $1,200. For that $$$, I will cut the car in half, piss on it and call it "art". I brought them a '99 Grand Prix a few years ago with a blown head gasket and a transmission that was toast. They couldn't even drive the darn thing and they gave me $1,700. This car is 100% drivable. What a friggin' insult!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Took to Car-Max in Schaumburg (because Naperville is about 2 hours away), and they offered me $1,200. For that $$$, I will cut the car in half, piss on it and call it "art". I brought them a '99 Grand Prix a few years ago with a blown head gasket and a transmission that was toast. They couldn't even drive the darn thing and they gave me $1,700. This car is 100% drivable. What a friggin' insult!

A few years ago used car prices were still insane as a repercussion of Cash for Clunkers.

I'd say the market has more or less turned, and pricing has returned to the normal crap offerings.

I've also read/heard that 'enthusiast' cars normally get terrible offers from Carmax.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
SOLD!

Side note to CarMax:

I realize the market dictates what certain things are worth...basically supply and demand. The guy at CarMax was only doing his job. That being said, I simply cannot believe a rust free, running/drivable vehicle, where everything works; is worth 50% less than a vehicle with rust, no interior lights, a slipping transmission and blown head gasket only 2 years ago.

If this is the state of the economy, we should ALL BEWARE!!!

Thread Info