anti-seize on lug nuts?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
anyone do this?

i got some titanium lugs and this seemed to be advised because of galling.

seems some people def say no do and others oh just fine... and some say to adjust torque lower.

assuming i calculated somewhat correctly (no guarantee on that) it seems my 89 ft lb torque should perhaps be more like 74.

anyway wondering what y'all do or have seen.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It will increase the TQ on the wheel, it will stretch the studs, unless you are an engineer that can calculate the shear vs TQ ratio, you're not going to get it right. Very few people encounter problems just using factory spec tq and repetitive use. Why chance a factory spec because someone said "they've had no problems"? There's always that guy.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
I mean, why do you want to use the anti seize? Are you expecting additional corrosion because of the different metals?

Not that I take my lug nuts off just because on my DD, but I've never considered that they would need anti seize. The track car gets swapped enough I've never had an issue.

GIMPY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 21, 2009
Elgin
Don't use antiseize on lugs.

Titanium does not corrode either. The only types of metal u will ever have a problem with is stainless to stainless or aluminum with stainless

I torque lugs to 130 on some applications . Arp wheel studs I torque to 110.

I have a buddy that's a mechanical engineer. He actually use to design fasteners for Ford gm honda and a few others. If there are any questions u may have I could talk to him. He worked in product development basically would take cad drawings from ford for example the head bolts on the f150 eco boost
Make the bolt to there specs test it. if it doesn't meet the requirements ford needs he redesigns it until it meets or exceeds there needs. In his words it's the most boring over paid engineering job in the world lol

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

Titanium does not corrode either. The only types of metal u will ever have a problem with is stainless to stainless or aluminum with stainless

I have a buddy that's a mechanical engineer. He actually use to design fasteners for Ford gm honda and a few others. If there are any questions u may have I could talk to him. He worked in product development basically would take cad drawings from ford for example the head bolts on the f150 eco boost
Make the bolt to there specs test it. if it doesn't meet the requirements ford needs he redesigns it until it meets or exceeds there needs. In his words it's the most boring over paid engineering job in the world lol
Titanium can still gall being used on a steel stud.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
It will increase the TQ on the wheel, it will stretch the studs, unless you are an engineer that can calculate the shear vs TQ ratio, you're not going to get it right. Very few people encounter problems just using factory spec tq and repetitive use. Why chance a factory spec because someone said "they've had no problems"? There's always that guy.

I don't fully understand what point you are trying to make. Are you suggesting that the same "factory torque spec" be used while torquing a fastener with anti-seize vs dry; or are you saying the exact opposite? Some of your wording is confusing me.

When it comes to adjusting a torque spec for a non-TTY fastener: This is specifically why the kinetic friction coefficient needs to be taken into account for whatever "lube" is being used so as to determine that "x" amount of tensile clamping force is not exceeded with a given input torque. This in turn will ensure that the proportional limit of the Shear Modulus is not exceeded in the fastener regarding stretch and/or work-hardening past the point of yield. So, in short, as long as an accurate figure for the different lube's kinetic friction coefficient is used, then all will be well. I believe that's what sickmint was alluding towards when citing that other webpage.

Another point I want to make is that you're dealing with relatively large bolt sizes here, as well as other "large" structural members that are more forgiving, so if one is off by a few lb/ft of torque, it isn't exactly going to hurt anything. As with anything in engineering, there's an acceptable range between minimal and maximum tolerance. Stay within those confines and all will be well. After all, if you are that worried about hitting a wheel stud torque spec 100% dead on, then I hope you are also sending your torque wrench off on a semi-annual basis to be recalibrated too!

I have used anti-seize on my lugs for years to prevent galling and sticking; and it works. Yes, the input torque does have to be adjusted down a bit, but it's not rocket science if one bothers to actually do a simple algebraic computation to adjust for the new coefficient of friction. You guys are making it out to be like these guys are trying to build a better space shuttle, when it's but a simple recalibration of a torque spec for a fastener.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I don't fully understand what point you are trying to make. Are you suggesting that the same "factory torque spec" be used while torquing a fastener with anti-seize vs dry; or are you saying the exact opposite? Some of your wording is confusing me.

When it comes to adjusting a torque spec for a non-TTY fastener: This is specifically why the kinetic friction coefficient needs to be taken into account for whatever "lube" is being used so as to determine that "x" amount of tensile clamping force is not exceeded with a given input torque. This in turn will ensure that the proportional limit of the Shear Modulus is not exceeded in the fastener regarding stretch and/or work-hardening past the point of yield. So, in short, as long as an accurate figure for the different lube's kinetic friction coefficient is used, then all will be well. I believe that's what sickmint was alluding towards when citing that other webpage.

Another point I want to make is that you're dealing with relatively large bolt sizes here, as well as other "large" structural members that are more forgiving, so if one is off by a few lb/ft of torque, it isn't exactly going to hurt anything. As with anything in engineering, there's an acceptable range between minimal and maximum tolerance. Stay within those confines and all will be well. After all, if you are that worried about hitting a wheel stud torque spec 100% dead on, then I hope you are also sending your torque wrench off on a semi-annual basis to be recalibrated too!

I have used anti-seize on my lugs for years to prevent galling and sticking; and it works. Yes, the input torque does have to be adjusted down a bit, but it's not rocket science if one bothers to actually do a simple algebraic computation to adjust for the new coefficient of friction. You guys are making it out to be like these guys are trying to build a better space shuttle, when it's but a simple recalibration of a torque spec for a fastener.

what's your factory recommendation and what did you switch to?

how'd you find the coefficient of friction?

my bro had this stuff in the garage. Specialty Lubricants - Anti-Seize : Permatex® Anti-Seize Lubricant

in the equation i basically changed c from .2 to .165 and came up with my 74 from 89.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info