Comcast Technicians?

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
My 2nd story townhouse/condo unit is not wired for cable. I want to drop coax lines from the attic into the 2 bedrooms and living room. All 3 lines will meet in the attic at a splitter. I want to have this all done, so when the cable guy comes he can run a line to the attic and just plug into my splitter. My question is what type of cable and splitters should I use so that it is compatible with internet and HDTV service comcast (or any other service) provides? I'm sure there are different grades of the coax cable, just as there are with ethernet cable. Thanks.

03GTGreen

Cobra Brigade Presidente
Aug 1, 2007
Will brand matter? Or can I just buy whatever RG6 monoprice.com sells?

What about the splitters? Radio Shack okay?

Anything else I should know to make for trouble free install for the cable tech?
Cable really doesnt matter too much, but you should def go with RG6 over 59, the stuff we use has the dielectric, than a wire braid than a foil cover surrounded by the rubber jacket.

As for splitters dont use any of the Radio Shack stuff, in fact if you run all the lines and have them ready for hook up im sure the tech that comes out will just give you a splitter, I would at least, idk how Comcast is though.

Slow99x

ZOMBIE kill of the week
Jul 20, 2007
I advise you to run 4 lines than, 2 to the room.
Wrong!!!! If you are using a 4 way splitter it will be losing 7.5 dBmv per leg of the splitter. This also counts for adding 7.5 to the upstream. Both of these situatins could be harmful to your internet service depending on what value tap you have. If you have a 26 or 23 value tap you are in for problems with a 4 way splitter. These taps start at 43 dB on the upstream. Even if you have no other splitters the 4 way will add 7.5 to this making it around 51. Modems normal opperating range is between 40-50dB.

My suggestions:
1) Run 1 line to each room
2) Use RG-6 trishield from Home Depot. Quadshield is difficult to put fittings on. Let the Comcast tech provide the fittings and splitters. There is no charge for them
3) If you have a wireless router put the modem closest to the entry point in your home. The fewer splitters the better.
4) Demand an inhouse tech. We have better equipment and better training than the contractors.

03GTGreen

Cobra Brigade Presidente
Aug 1, 2007
Wrong!!!! If you are using a 4 way splitter it will be losing 7.5 dBmv per leg of the splitter. This also counts for adding 7.5 to the upstream. Both of these situatins could be harmful to your internet service depending on what value tap you have. If you have a 26 or 23 value tap you are in for problems with a 4 way splitter. These taps start at 43 dB on the upstream. Even if you have no other splitters the 4 way will add 7.5 to this making it around 51. Modems normal opperating range is between 40-50dB.

My suggestions:
1) Run 1 line to each room
2) Use RG-6 trishield from Home Depot. Quadshield is difficult to put fittings on. Let the Comcast tech provide the fittings and splitters. There is no charge for them
3) If you have a wireless router put the modem closest to the entry point in your home. The fewer splitters the better.
4) Demand an inhouse tech. We have better equipment and better training than the contractors.
This is what I meant by idk how Comcast does things, up North it would be standard to run an extra line dedicated to the modem itself, and yes the return might be to high, but than you throw in a return amp and be done with it. If its a 23 or 26 value tap, they usually knock down the return as it is for condos(at least in WI) Ive never had a tap putting out 43db on the return before, but like I said that could be how comcast runs there show so.

Also If you run a balanced 3 way in the attic, your losing 5.5 and a 2 way in the room thats 1.5 so thats 7 right there, if you want to just run one I would get an unbalanced 3 way (ie 3.5 on one output 7 on the rest) and have the 3.5 go to the room with the modem and tv youd be sitting at 5 after the 2way for the room.

Slow99x

ZOMBIE kill of the week
Jul 20, 2007
This is what I meant by idk how Comcast does things, up North it would be standard to run an extra line dedicated to the modem itself, and yes the return might be to high, but than you throw in a return amp and be done with it. If its a 23 or 26 value tap, they usually knock down the return as it is for condos(at least in WI) Ive never had a tap putting out 43db on the return before, but like I said that could be how comcast runs there show so.

Also If you run a balanced 3 way in the attic, your losing 5.5 and a 2 way in the room thats 1.5 so thats 7 right there, if you want to just run one I would get an unbalanced 3 way (ie 3.5 on one output 7 on the rest) and have the 3.5 go to the room with the modem and tv youd be sitting at 5 after the 2way for the room.
We do not have balanced 3-way splitters and return amps. We do everything by working the math and sometimes we have to get creative.

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
Is there going to be a problem asking them to run the line straight into my attic? I have had such negative past experiences with Comcast I am a little worried about them messing something up. It is very difficult to get into my attic. There is only 1 way to go when you open the hatch to the attic and there is a huge ventilation duct that will get crushed if you step on it. You have to pretty much pull yourself up into the trusts, then only walk on the trusts.

I would hate if the tech accidentally slipped and stepped on the vent or even worse, the drywall, as I just repainted the entire ceiling. Do you think he could feed the wire (from the outside) into the attic and let me attached it to the splitter I will already have installed? Or is that not allowed for some liability reasons?

ITLLOWNU

oh hai!
Jan 1, 2008
i havnt read the entire thread but whatever you do....let comcast supply the connectors .. i did the same thing you did and had issues for months..techs at my house every week and couldnt figure out the issue. finally i said send me a guy and we will go over everything from the tap outside, up the building , into my condo and to every room i have wired.
we cut off every fitting from the point of begining and put new ones on and he hasnt been back:D

he said my fiitings were done perfect..they were just junk:alcoholic

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
i havnt read the entire thread but whatever you do....let comcast supply the connectors .. i did the same thing you did and had issues for months..techs at my house every week and couldnt figure out the issue. finally i said send me a guy and we will go over everything from the tap outside, up the building , into my condo and to every room i have wired.
we cut off every fitting from the point of begining and put new ones on and he hasnt been back:D

he said my fiitings were done perfect..they were just junk:alcoholic

What kind did you use?

Slow99x

ZOMBIE kill of the week
Jul 20, 2007
Is there going to be a problem asking them to run the line straight into my attic? I have had such negative past experiences with Comcast I am a little worried about them messing something up. It is very difficult to get into my attic. There is only 1 way to go when you open the hatch to the attic and there is a huge ventilation duct that will get crushed if you step on it. You have to pretty much pull yourself up into the trusts, then only walk on the trusts.

I would hate if the tech accidentally slipped and stepped on the vent or even worse, the drywall, as I just repainted the entire ceiling. Do you think he could feed the wire (from the outside) into the attic and let me attached it to the splitter I will already have installed? Or is that not allowed for some liability reasons?
Unless you had a line run up to the attic when you condo was first built, it will need to be run on the outside. If you insist on having it on the inside you need to have an electrician come out to do it. They have more specialized tools for a multiple floor line like that. Don't let them put any fittings on or use any store bought splitters though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info