Math gurus

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
Got a few problems I can't figure out

How many three-letter code words can be constructed from the first eight letters of the Greek alphabet if no repetitions are allowed?

In recent years, the state of California has issued license plates using a combination of two letters of the alphabet followed by two digits, followed by another three letters of the alphabet. How many different license plates can be issued using this configuration?

A warranty identification number for a certain product consists of a letter of the alphabet followed by an eight-digit number. How many possible identification numbers are there if the first digit of the eight-digit number must be nonzero?

BlaqSnake

PC Pimp
May 13, 2006
Aurora, IL
Got a few problems I can't figure out

How many three-letter code words can be constructed from the first eight letters of the Greek alphabet if no repetitions are allowed?

In recent years, the state of California has issued license plates using a combination of two letters of the alphabet followed by two digits, followed by another three letters of the alphabet. How many different license plates can be issued using this configuration?

A warranty identification number for a certain product consists of a letter of the alphabet followed by an eight-digit number. How many possible identification numbers are there if the first digit of the eight-digit number must be nonzero?

I noticed that you turned in the assignment already, but I am curious if I am right:

#1 = 8!*7!*6! = 146,313,216,000
#2 = (26^2)*(10^3)*(26^3) = 11,881,376,000
#3 = 26*9*(10^7) = 2,340,000,000

Please let us know, when you get the answers.

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
got a few problems i can't figure out

in recent years, the state of california has issued license plates using a combination of two letters of the alphabet followed by two digits, followed by another three letters of the alphabet. How many different license plates can be issued using this configuration?

26*26*10*10*26*26*26

a warranty identification number for a certain product consists of a letter of the alphabet followed by an eight-digit number. How many possible identification numbers are there if the first digit of the eight-digit number must be nonzero?

26*9*10*10*10*10*10*10*10

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
I went to talk to the teach and she just said you know what it is. I told her I spent all this time and she goes you know re read it and pay attn.

I did and knew it the whole time. I was just all in a rush to make the 5pm finish time. Lesson learned start earlier. Still got a 92% on the homework.

Thanks all.

jaykruger

Juiced, ported and blown
Mar 30, 2007
you simply multiply by the number of possiblities or possibilites left, so for poker (hold'em) this is how you would calculate odds of getting any one hand, each hand is made up of 2 non-repeting numbers so you have 52 choices the first time and 51 the next card or 52*51=2652 ways to get any single hand, however do to the four suites you can make that hand combo in 12 ways so 442 hands, however since Ace of hearts and Ace of spades is the same hand backwards and forwards it is 221 ways to make rockets. or 1/221=.45%

To farther caluclate some odd for the percentages you take what makes your hand say that 6 you need to make your straight over the chances that the next card can be a six, so (52-the two in your hand-the 3 on the flop=47) there are 4 sixes so 4/47=.085 or 8.5% chance rule of thumb for each "out" you have it is generally a 2.1% chance of hitting it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info