what you thin about this?

fastfocus

TCG Elite Member
Nov 30, 2004
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...,1,6212573.story?track=rss&ctrack=1&cset=true

what is your veiw? i think its wrong.. i do agree that people shouldnt be smoking around kids and make them breath it.. the part i have a problem with is the fact of them having that much more control over us... telling us we cant smoke in our own cars... come on.. thats ****ed up...

Illinois bill would ban smoking with kids in car

By CHRISTOPHER WILLS
Associated Press Writer
Published March 8, 2007, 2:15 PM CST

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. -- Illinois could join the short list of states that bar people from smoking in cars when children are present, under legislation introduced by Rep. Mike Boland.

Boland wants to make it a misdemeanor to smoke in a car if any of the passengers are 8 or younger. Violators could be slapped with a $1,500 fine and a month in jail.

The Moline Democrat said he was inspired when he walked past a car filled with a cloud of smoke from the driver's cigarette. "I saw some little heads in their little car seats and thought 'Gee, that's really awful,"' Boland said.

Arkansas and Louisiana already ban smoking in cars with child passengers, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. A dozen or so other states -- including California, Massachusetts and Arizona -- are considering similar bans.

The details vary from state to state. Some apply to children of any age; others apply only when the children are young enough for car seats. Others allow only a warning for the first violation. Fines of $25 and $50 are common.

Boland's legislation carries far higher penalties, but he predicted they would be used rarely. Police and judges would be more likely to issue warnings or light fines, he said.

Boland said he picked 8 as the cut-off age because children that age and younger must be in car seats. That would give police an easy way to spot potential violations, rather setting some other age limit and forcing police to guess whether passengers are older or younger.

The Illinois Association of Tobacco and Candy Distributors says it has no objection to Boland's proposal. Legislative liaison Harry "Bud" Kelley said the group opposes restrictions on where adults can choose to smoke, but children in cars don't have a choice.

"We will not make any opposition to that bill whatsoever. Anybody who would is nuts," Kelley said.

Meanwhile, two health groups aren't taking a position.

Officials at the American Cancer Society and the Illinois Coalition Against Tobacco said their focus is on passing a statewide ban on smoking in public places, so they haven't studied the idea of restricting smoking in cars.

Boland's bill has not yet been heard by legislative committee.

MachMe 03

Move or be moved cuz...
Aug 24, 2006
fastfocus said:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...,1,6212573.story?track=rss&ctrack=1&cset=true

what is your veiw? i think its wrong.. i do agree that people shouldnt be smoking around kids and make them breath it.. the part i have a problem with is the fact of them having that much more control over us... telling us we cant smoke in our own cars... come on.. thats ****ed up...

Illinois bill would ban smoking with kids in car

By CHRISTOPHER WILLS
Associated Press Writer
Published March 8, 2007, 2:15 PM CST

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. -- Illinois could join the short list of states that bar people from smoking in cars when children are present, under legislation introduced by Rep. Mike Boland.

Boland wants to make it a misdemeanor to smoke in a car if any of the passengers are 8 or younger. Violators could be slapped with a $1,500 fine and a month in jail.

The Moline Democrat said he was inspired when he walked past a car filled with a cloud of smoke from the driver's cigarette. "I saw some little heads in their little car seats and thought 'Gee, that's really awful,"' Boland said.

Arkansas and Louisiana already ban smoking in cars with child passengers, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. A dozen or so other states -- including California, Massachusetts and Arizona -- are considering similar bans.

The details vary from state to state. Some apply to children of any age; others apply only when the children are young enough for car seats. Others allow only a warning for the first violation. Fines of $25 and $50 are common.

Boland's legislation carries far higher penalties, but he predicted they would be used rarely. Police and judges would be more likely to issue warnings or light fines, he said.

Boland said he picked 8 as the cut-off age because children that age and younger must be in car seats. That would give police an easy way to spot potential violations, rather setting some other age limit and forcing police to guess whether passengers are older or younger.

The Illinois Association of Tobacco and Candy Distributors says it has no objection to Boland's proposal. Legislative liaison Harry "Bud" Kelley said the group opposes restrictions on where adults can choose to smoke, but children in cars don't have a choice.

"We will not make any opposition to that bill whatsoever. Anybody who would is nuts," Kelley said.

Meanwhile, two health groups aren't taking a position.

Officials at the American Cancer Society and the Illinois Coalition Against Tobacco said their focus is on passing a statewide ban on smoking in public places, so they haven't studied the idea of restricting smoking in cars.

Boland's bill has not yet been heard by legislative committee.
This doesn't surprise me, nor does it bother me. I think its a good thing they ban people from smoking around little kids in a car. Its a lot better for kids, and if people have a problem getting from point A-B without 1 cig. then maybe thats a sign that theres a problem.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Can the Govt. get any more up in our asses? Triple taxed (salary, sales and property), strict enough laws on how we should raise my kids, no performance parts, cannot piss on a squad car, etc, etc, etc...

Why don't they simply make it a misdemeanor for smoking within 100 feet of children? Seriously, quit the bullshit and do it.

In fact, when the kid is born, just take him/her from me. I do not like to be micro-managed and I sure has Hell don't want to go to County Jail for slapping the kid on the ass when he/she is acting up.

Secular Left, various interest groups, terrorist groups - they are all the same. They want us to be sheep who live in fear and work until death....

I am off my soap box made of jello...

Dave (a non-smoker)

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I agree to disagree. I agree that it is fucked up that they monitor and screw you with everything you do. But, I also agree that it is fucked up to smoke in the car with your small child...who has NO CHOICE but staying there.

Me, non-smoker, don't care if people smoke, not my cup of tea. But if I don't feel like sitting in a car with someone smoking, I won't...but a child doesn't have that luxory.

fastfocus

TCG Elite Member
Nov 30, 2004
should have a law against this then....

NewImage.jpg

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Obviously smoking is bad, but do we need another law in place that tells us how to raise our kids, drive on the road, act towards other, shit in the toilet, chew our food, etc.?

Our fore fathers overthrew the King of England with less imposed taxes and laws as compared to what we have now. Even better, check out the Preamble of the Dec. of Independence. We don't have to put up with this shit but we do because quite simply there is nothing you can do... The police, govt. org., military, etc. will prevent any form of change.

We have representation in Govt. You have a choice, Democrat or Republic, both spew out different stories during the elections; however, when in office, each are the same. Really, how different are the 3rd parties...

So, I am not supposed to spank my child, send him/her to bed without dinner, enforce any type of strict punshiment, etc. However, when that child is a teenager and steals a car, kills someone, becomes an addict or joins a gang, it is my fault and I did not parent/discipline the child well. Either way I am up the river without a paddle.

There are too many hands in the cookie jar and somewhere along the way someone felt that we do not have the capability to make rational decisions on our own, effectively raise our kids without governing laws, or know where and when is the proper place to take a shit.

I am off to make dinner for my wife. Our first born is on the way. I am not sure if it is okay to make steaks, so I better check local and federal laws. It might be illegal for a pregnant mother to eat a steak.

Dave

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info