Need to vent :(

CobraSusie

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
After all the bad new we've been having lately,
we get up this morning, and Alan gets ready to start breakfast,
opens the refridgerator to get the breakfast sausage out,
only to find that our refrigerator is having issues.

All of the frozen items were half thawed out,
so on top of all of what has already happened in the last week (jury duty) etc.
we had to replace a (6 year old fridge :mad: )

I guess the good news and good days...

should be coming soon :confused: :( :dunno:

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
wake and bake!

10th03cobra said:
I'll be there at 8 am :cool:

as someone who is looking into off-grid living, the refrigerator is one of the biggest energy suckers in a home. fwiw they make standard sized refrigerator-freezers that run off 12v DC. there are also hyperefficient 120v AC refrigerator-freezers for people using square wave inverters (and people just trying to save power) too. unfortunately, both run about $1250.

if you're going to trash the fridge, please remember to take the door off.

if you're into scavenging, save the motor and compressor out of it. the guys doing carbon fiber and other composites work can use it as a vacuum pump.

blubyu

TCG Elite Member
Nov 7, 2004
CobraSusie said:
Yep, we went there yesterday and got one, its a Fridgidaire (side by side)
on the front cover :biggthump

Darn, I was reading your post and was going to warn you not to buy Fridgidare / Kitchen Aid or any other brand names they make. Sorry to burst your bubble but they suck. I had all Kitchen Aid appliances put in my house when it was built 4 years ago and I've had to repair 3 of the appliances already.

Microwave - Fan started rubbing inside. Had to take apart and re-position.

Dishwasher - Heating element exploded. Had to replace heating element and control board (replacement was a new design). Fortunately, the parts were sent to me for free since it was still under warranty. I was impressed with the customer service line. Lady was real nice and apologized for my problems. Parts were covered, but labor was not since it was in year two so I replaced the parts myself.

Refridgerator - last week the water/ice dispenser went out in a blaze popping my circuit breaker. Problem, another poor design. The wires at the bottom of the door make a real tight bend and over time with the opening and closing of the door they break. I had two of 6 wires break. I had to splice/solder and I got it working again.

For the money spent (about 6 grand) the appliances should be good for at least 10-15 years in my opinion. Next time I'm buying Sub Zero (thanks for the post Mike!) and Dacor.

Here's a website you might find handy: http://www.partselect.com/

Hope you got an extended warranty, I didn't because I don't believe in that crap typically and I expect better quality out of an american company that has been around so long. Guess it's not just the car mfgs that are cutting corners and doing poor designs.

:rantoff:

At least you got cold beer again! :headbang:

CobraSusie

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
Just been a bad 2 weeks,

(week one) jury duty $140. check
the week we have to pay the mortgage, so my savings acct.
is going to be huting :mad:

(week two) 3 day paycheck -this week
means catch up for the Cobra payment is going to hurt and finish
up my savings acct. :mad:

Then the fridge dies (bad couple weeks)
but the new fridge is nice looking and works GREAT !

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
Sorry about the bad lucky Susie

ShelbyGuy said:
wake and bake!
as someone who is looking into off-grid living, the refrigerator is one of the biggest energy suckers in a home. fwiw they make standard sized refrigerator-freezers that run off 12v DC. there are also hyperefficient 120v AC refrigerator-freezers for people using square wave inverters (and people just trying to save power) too. unfortunately, both run about $1250.

if you're into scavenging, save the motor and compressor out of it. the guys doing carbon fiber and other composites work can use it as a vacuum pump.

DUDE!. Where the hell do you get all this knowlege from?

CobraSusie

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
I have the doors off of the old fridge and it is down in my garage right now, since it is still like brand new (in looks etc.) I am going to hold onto it for a little bit, and when the funds come back, I am going to see how much it would be to get repaired, and maybe sell it with the house :biggthump

The Blondie

1MeanGt's Chick!!!
May 23, 2005
SLASH said:
i think i might get this bad boy!

it looks good and will fit in my current spot!

http://www.subzeropro48.com/
That fridge is great for something like a beach house or some place you do not keep alot of food at..... Think about it, do you really want to look at beer, ketchup, bottles water, lunch meat etc?! All the time....
Sub Zero makes really good appliances.....
I must say I love this one... Eventhough it has the glass front door, I love all the drawers!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info