Pass Emissions Sniffer Test W/No Cats???

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
I tried testing yesterday in Naperville but was told my SCT chip was interfering w/the tester's ability to communicate w/my ECM. Seeing how my car wasn't throwing any codes they would just back it up and use the sniffer. I didnt want to get busted for not having cats so I declined and went on my way. After reading a few threads I'm thinking I might be able to pass the sniffer being that my car is tuned lean at idle anyway. If on the odd chance they inspect the exhaust I can just play dumb and say the resonator where the 2 pipes meet in the middle is the cat. Who thinks this might work or am I just dreaming?

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
RD SNAKE said:
IL doesn't have a visable insapection just a IM 240 test (obd1 cars) and a monitor test (obd2). I don;t think you will pass because they rev the piss outta the car with no load.
I thought that for 96 and newer cars they just plug in and run a check for any codes. If there are no codes you're off the hook.

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
RD SNAKE said:
IL doesn't have a visable insapection just a IM 240 test (obd1 cars) and a monitor test (obd2). I don;t think you will pass because they rev the piss outta the car with no load.

I guess I can live with this as long as they don't look under the car. My car's tune is so piss poor lean at every thing but WOT as long as they don't get it to boost when they rev it I still might pass :clap:

mustangmike2003

Regular
Nov 24, 2005
MGT2002 said:
if i remember correctly, they give you 2 weeks to a month to fix it. basically they give you a nother date to get tested and you have to pass. happened to my friend with his rust bucket 86 monte ss
Yup and if you dont pass with in 90 days they suspend your license and dont tell you. I know first hand as I had to go to MPPD and bail my friends dad out of the slammer.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
In My Experiences with the SCT Chips on EEC V Equipped SHO's, the SCT Chip DOES interfere with Basic communications.

They Plug into your OBD II Port and all they get is "E" for Error. They don't get trouble codes - They get a "This Just AIN'T Gonna Work" Code.

Yes, The cars without Cats CAN Pass with regularity on the Sniffer test. On a Well tuned Modern FI Car you'd practically need a Holed Piston to fail.

Not sure on the Legalities of the Visual test for Cats. In MY Day, we used to bandsaw the cats in half and weld a straightpipe INSIDE of the old shell and put it back on. Cats today are so much better that it isn't worth the hassle to remove them unless it's a track car.

tonydahose

Regular
May 7, 2004
they couldnt read my computer with the sct tune. i backed it up and they did the sniff test. (they won't try to do a roller test if you have low profile tires, they checked mine) i have a magnaflow catted x and past with no problem. hopefully they won't check to see if you have cats and you might get lucky passing. if not get somebody to loan you their exhaust for a day.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Factory mid pipe for rent....$100.00 per day 3 day min., or $500.00 for the week with a $500.00 dollar deposit.....CASH!

:dunno: What can I say? Markets pop up all the time. :headbang:

:joke:
I have had my other cars tested and all they did was plug in and confirm NO CODES. I asked about modified cars and the ( about 25 year old guy ) said we have to check for full exhaust on loud cars, including cats, but usually all we do is plug in and off they go.

I would go and try it, it's all I can do. If I fail, I'll put mt midpipe back on, pass and take it right off.

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
zenriddles said:
In My Experiences with the SCT Chips on EEC V Equipped SHO's, the SCT Chip DOES interfere with Basic communications.

They Plug into your OBD II Port and all they get is "E" for Error. They don't get trouble codes - They get a "This Just AIN'T Gonna Work" Code.
This is exactly what happened to me.

Yes, The cars without Cats CAN Pass with regularity on the Sniffer test. On a Well tuned Modern FI Car you'd practically need a Holed Piston to fail.
This is the type of practical experience I'm looking for..thx for the confidence builder :biggthump

Not sure on the Legalities of the Visual test for Cats. In MY Day, we used to bandsaw the cats in half and weld a straightpipe INSIDE of the old shell and put it back on. Cats today are so much better that it isn't worth the hassle to remove them unless it's a track car.
I'm going back to retest w/out changing a thing. If I fail I'll just have some hi-flow cats welded into my existing o/r H pipe and be done w/it. I'll post up an update towards the end of the week. Thx to all who replied.

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
Update....I PASSED!!!

01GTvert said:
I tried testing yesterday in Naperville but was told my SCT chip was interfering w/the tester's ability to communicate w/my ECM. Seeing how my car wasn't throwing any codes they would just back it up and use the sniffer. I didnt want to get busted for not having cats so I declined and went on my way. After reading a few threads I'm thinking I might be able to pass the sniffer being that my car is tuned lean at idle anyway.

So I went back today and waited through that BS hour long line and was told for the 2nd time the testing equipment couldn't communicate w/my ECU to complete the OBDII portion of the test and the sniffer test would be required. The techs tried to get me on the rollers but told em no way w/my low profile tires...had to call a mgr over to convince the techs. So no rollers and they only tested my car at idle where it's tuned very lean anyway and I passed the sniffer test w/no cats :headbang: So for those of you who are considering it go for it.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
01GTvert said:
So I went back today and waited through that BS hour long line and was told for the 2nd time the testing equipment couldn't communicate w/my ECU to complete the OBDII portion of the test and the sniffer test would be required. The techs tried to get me on the rollers but told em no way w/my low profile tires...had to call a mgr over to convince the techs. So no rollers and they only tested my car at idle where it's tuned very lean anyway and I passed the sniffer test w/no cats :headbang: So for those of you who are considering it go for it.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

02mingreyconv

Regular
Jan 31, 2005
ShelbyGuy said:
is this both with a chip and a flash or does this issue happen with chips only?

I think it is an issue with the SCT chips only. My logic behind that is that I need a special cable when I connect my XCAL2 to the ODB2 port. Pin 13 (i think thats the number) is removed in the extension cable.

I will be going to test with my O/R pipe today, so we'll see what happens.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info