New Bike!!! Should I?

BlownVenom01

Addict
Mar 19, 2006
Hey today i put down some money on a new bike and wanted to get some feedback. Its an 04 suzuki katana 600 with 1300 miles and they want 4750 for it. The bike is absolutely spotless and looks like the day it rolled of the showroom floor. Completly stock except for frame sliders and I think it'll be a great starter bike (i dont count the 87 honda hurricane 1000f i had as a real bike, just a learner). I know the katana isnt as nice as a raceinspired bike, but i had the oppurtunity to buy an 01 r6 for the same price and found that i like the way the katana feels more. Its noticeably wider and lower than the r6 and just fits my personal taste a lot more. I've done a lot of research and from i can tell thats JUst about the average price they're going for and thats good enought for me. Any input?

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
A couple years back, one of my buddies (police officer) asked me to meet him for a beer as he got off his shift early. My buddy told me, that day, he was first upon an accident; GMC Suburban pulled out infront of a Harley (guy - driver/lady- passenger). Well, the Harley rear ended the Suburban. The lady was wearing a helmet; however, decaptated. My buddy found the helmet about 100 feet away from the accident. He turned it upside down to find the head was "pretty much hollow". The driver (without a helmet), well the force was so tramatic that his head (or real small matter, brains and blood) was found inside the Suburban. Problem is the rear doors of the suburban were still closed. His upper body was smushed down to his waist. And finally, the Harley was merely twisted metal.

I tell that story to people who are about the buy bikes so they know what can happen in advance.

If you have not, please change your license to organ donor and sign the back of it.

Other than that, enjoy the bike...

Dave

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
Blood on Blood said:
A couple years back, one of my buddies (police officer) asked me to meet him for a beer as he got off his shift early. My buddy told me, that day, he was first upon an accident; GMC Suburban pulled out infront of a Harley (guy - driver/lady- passenger). Well, the Harley rear ended the Suburban. The lady was wearing a helmet; however, decaptated. My buddy found the helmet about 100 feet away from the accident. He turned it upside down to find the head was "pretty much hollow". The driver (without a helmet), well the force was so tramatic that his head (or real small matter, brains and blood) was found inside the Suburban. Problem is the rear doors of the suburban were still closed. His upper body was smushed down to his waist. And finally, the Harley was merely twisted metal.

I tell that story to people who are about the buy bikes so they know what can happen in advance.

If you have not, please change your license to organ donor and sign the back of it.

Dave

i knew this one guy...one time he was walking to the store and a piano fell on his head and his brains came out and there was blood...he died...

give me a fuggin break...buy the bike, like driving a 500+ hp car is any safer!

BlownVenom01

Addict
Mar 19, 2006
lol i wanted to know if the bike was a good deal, not if they are dangerous.... I think everyone that buys a bike knows how ungodly dangerous they are. Everyone knows at least one horror story about a bike death, but than again I know just as many street racing and sports car horror stories. Thats a chance i knew i was taking when i bought my 5.0, a chance i was again willing to take when i bought my vette (a fiberglass deathtrap), a choice i made when i bought my cobra, and a choice i'm making when i buy this bike. I know there's a high risk in these bikes but it's okay. Anyone wanna back me up on this?

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
yournamehear119 said:
lol i wanted to know if the bike was a good deal, not if they are dangerous.... I think everyone that buys a bike knows how ungodly dangerous they are. Everyone knows at least one horror story about a bike death, but than again I know just as many street racing and sports car horror stories. Thats a chance i knew i was taking when i bought my 5.0, a chance i was again willing to take when i bought my vette (a fiberglass deathtrap), a choice i made when i bought my cobra, and a choice i'm making when i buy this bike. I know there's a high risk in these bikes but it's okay. Anyone wanna back me up on this?

I'll back you up, I've owned my Harley for almost 4 months now...and its the best thing I've ever bought, but trying to tell someone who doesn't own a bike and has THAT type of mentality that requires them to tell you of something that happend that their friend told them, will not get that mentality out of their head. For every one motorcycle horror story, their are THOUSANDS of car horror stories. But this argument is like trying to make a bunch of retarded kids feel better about themselves...but at the end of the day, their still retarded...

KrznSVT

Feb 9, 2006
there are better deals out there.. Look at the cbr or the gsxr's the katana is by far the heavist and the least amount of hp. They are also air cooled they do have a oil cooler but they still over heat in traffic on a hot summer day. Not to dog what you like but the R6, GSXR, CBR, Zx6r or ZX6rr are much better buys. any specific questions pm me.

Stangfreak91

TCG Elite Member
Dec 5, 2004
Blood on Blood said:

Dave

Not the type of story you should share when a New rider is buying a new bike. I say buy the bike enjoy it! Wear the proper gear and be smart and be safe!

BlownVenom01

Addict
Mar 19, 2006
Ya, i've looked at all of em, the R6's, gixxers, cbrs, and i havent found one i like as much as the katana. I just love the way it sits, feels, balances, everything. I guess i could pull it but i'm not really ready for a race replica bike nor really want one. The Katana is bulletproof, easy to handle COMFORTABLY, (keyword) much more passenger friendly than any r6 or gsxr, and a great touring bike. After reading a few forums more i've only heard great things about the katana.
Some jaggoffs say that they're ugly, heavy, underpowered, and horrible, but thats the 1 in 100. And go look at some chevy forums, there is people that say cobras suck ass and we know thats not true :laughing2 . Overall, ALOT of people agree that the katana is a great bike for someone with less than 2 years riding experience, is PLENTY powerful for riding around town, quick, reliable, and responsive, and the best bang for your buck if your not looking to go street racing. After all, its all about how much i enjoy the bike, not how much some wheelie-poppin wife-beater and shorts wearin jerk says i should get a cbr1000rr. IF i had the 9 grand, i would take the step up to a new r6, but for my current student status it seems like alllll the bike i'll need, after all it'll smoke half the cars out there. I've had enough experience on a bike to trust myself on the katana, but i found the gsxr to be more uncomfortable, higher sitting, and more expensive. I guess it basically comes down to the enjoyment of the ride. I guess its like comparing an 05 Mustang GT (04 GSX600F) with low miles or an 03 cobra (01 GSX600R) with higher miles. Sure the 03 will smoke most 05's, but who cares they are both fun cars (bikes) and i sure as hell love cobras haha. Its really late and forgot where i was goin with it someone wanna help me out.

BlownVenom01

Addict
Mar 19, 2006
As far as i've seen for price too, the only thing ive seen that comporable is an 01 gsxr 600 with 8k for 5300, an 01 gsxr600 with 12k for 5000, and 02 cbr600rr for 6, all at different dealers. Out of those three i havent found one that sits as perfectly as the katana and i think thats more important that 30 pounds and 15 horse. The only bikes I would choose over the katana start at around 6-7 grand and thats more than i want to spend. Even the salesman that was trying to sell me a gsxr told me that he's never had a katana customer complain, and has actually had two gsxr's returned for katanas.

Oh ya and keep in mind coming from an 87 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane, i found the gsxr to be tall. The katana is like riding on a cloud. A cloud of air and fuel mixing in a chamber and exploding. not those gay rainclouds.

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
your gonna pay a premium for any bike you buy now. the katana is a slow pos, but if you like it that is all that really matters. my buddy just bought an 06 and he hates it now, he buried now and cant get out of it. i drove it yesterday, it was the first bike i could literally crack the throttle full open on from a 20 mph roll, the response was horrifieng. bottom line....your dough...buy what you want :biggthump

fearbluer1

My 4cyl just beat your 8!
Mar 2, 2004
Blood on Blood said:
If hearing horror stories makes him extremely cautious when riding, then let them be told.

Safety should not end with the proper gear / helmet....

I DISAGREE! PROPER TRAINING is the most important thing! A full understanding of the law of physics when riding is important! Starting slow, and working up you confidence level is important! Not riding out of your limit is important!

When people do this to new riders you fill there head with useless shit and fear! A feared rider, is one I will not ride with. Why?? Because they are too focused on the bullshit that is fed to them, not allowing them to properly use there head to think clearly in ALL situations. They need to develop there reactive skills inorder to avoid situations and any problems that may arise from riding.

You want to help him, tell him to take some basic riding courses, then some advance riding courses, then some racing classes.

Filling his head with the other crap will only slow him down on his reactions.

He needs to learn things about counter steering, emergency brake control, and obstacle avoidance.

NEVER look at an object (ie pothole) otherwise you will 99% of time hit it.

When you feed him all the other crap, your filling his head with potholes.

If your serious about riding, then go pickup 3 books. All written by Keith Code. Twist of the wrist 1, Twist of the wrist 2, and the soft science of road racing.

You will learn ALLOT even though the books are older. The principals are the same. It was the best investment I have ever made.

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
It's good you chose the right style bike for you (sport tourer over sport) but yamaha has a clear advantage in quality/fit and finish over Katana. Seeing how it's a 2004 Katana might have made some improvements but they had a bad rep back in the day. GL and wear a helmet!

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
i have a simple questiom.

all this kid wanted was an opinion on a bike, not a disertation on the relative safety of motorcycles. why cant someone pose a simple question without getting everybodys opinion on everything else but what was asked?

remember opinions are like assholes...

fearbluer1

My 4cyl just beat your 8!
Mar 2, 2004
01GTvert said:
It's good you chose the right style bike for you (sport tourer over sport) but yamaha has a clear advantage in quality/fit and finish over Katana. Seeing how it's a 2004 Katana might have made some improvements but they had a bad rep back in the day. GL and wear a helmet!

I agree. My buddy owned a motorcycle shop up till 2 years ago. The basic yamaha yzf 600 is the better way to go. No it is not the R6.

Katana's never seem to hold their value well. And after a few years, developed some problems if maintenance wasn't kept up well.

Even though you seem to like the weight of the katana, it will be quite a bit less responsive to steering input. The rear height and weight have a huge affect on the handling of a motorcycle. The katana's sit lower, which is why it might feel more comfortable if your a shorter guy.

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
fearbluer1 said:
I agree. My buddy owned a motorcycle shop up till 2 years ago. The basic yamaha 600 is the better way to go. Not the R6.

Katana's never seem to hold their value well. And after a few years, developed some problems if maintenance wasn't kept up well.

Even though you seem to like the weight of the katana, it will be quite a bit less responsive to steering input. The rear height and weight have a huge affect on the handling of a motorcycle. The katana's sit lower, which is why it might feel more comfortable if your a shorter guy.

what does it redline at? it felt like it was wound up in 6th (or 5th) whatever tranny it has, and it was not moving?

BlownVenom01

Addict
Mar 19, 2006
actually i did look at a yzf600. Sure its a nice bike and is the same price new as the katana, but i really didnt like the way it sat and to me looked like crap compared to the katana. It reminds me more of a cruiser than a sport bike. The rear height was higher on the katana, and the bodywork leaves almost all of the frame/engine exposed. The yzf didnt feel like a sport bike at all, while the katana looks and feels more like a r6 than it's yamaha counterpart. I'm not planning on participating on any heavy bike activities besides a few random trips to streets. Besides, anyone who doesnt have a bike won't know what the hell a katana is and especially wont know its a cheap bike so all that matters is it looks and rides nice. So i guess im the GT with the cobra body kit around here :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info