Please help diagnose these spark plugs

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
03 Mach 1 - second owner
Cold air intake, off road x pipe and catback
Per the original owner, the car has the factory tune.

At 16,000 miles, we changed the original plugs.

8 of the spark plugs, the ground electrodes are charcoal to gray in color.
5 of the spark plugs, the white porcelain around the center electrodes are red or pink
2 of the spark plugs, the threads have a little oil.

What are your thoughts based on the condition of the spark plugs?

Note: Graphic of a spark plug that labels the electrodes.
http://www.championsparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp

Thanks

Dave

Snowman

Large Member
Jul 20, 2005
The red or pink is caused by cheap gas or octane boosters. The two with the oil are the ones I would be concerned with. I noticed my plugs on the rear of the motor had discoloration in the threads which can be mistaken for oil but was really due to the engine cooling and carbon. If the oil is saturated on and inside the plug you may have an oil problem. The charcoal gray is about normal but the miles on the engine are low so keep an eye on it. As for the gas stick to name brand stations like shell BP or marathon or something to that caliber. As far as the oil is concerned, if its a lot you may want to do a compression check. It could be coming from the rings or a valve guide. Try to gauge how much oil is consumed over time. Put new ones in and check it again at 21000 miles. If he put those mods on chances are he beat it and probably over revved it at one point or another. Not a real deal breaker but nobody drives these things like grandma anyhow. My car was beat to hell too but the guy took care of the maintanence because at 141000 the motor is real healthy and dosnt burn, leak or consume oil no matter how often I spray it.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Since I started this thread, I have also read that octane boost and cheap gas can be culprits of red/pink spark plugs. My guess is the previous owner may have done either, or both... :eek:

I am going to pull the new spark plugs after 1000 miles and see what's, what....

Also, w/ the CAI, O/R X pipe and catback, should I go w/ a colder set of spark plugs? :dunno:

Thanks and please keep any ideas coming....

Dave

black35thGT

Apr 9, 2006
Blood on Blood said:
Since I started this thread, I have also read that octane boost and cheap gas can be culprits of red/pink spark plugs. My guess is the previous owner may have done either, or both... :eek:

I am going to pull the new spark plugs after 1000 miles and see what's, what....

Also, w/ the CAI, O/R X pipe and catback, should I go w/ a colder set of spark plugs? :dunno:

Thanks and please keep any ideas coming....

Dave

no need for colder plugs just yet. the only time you should need a colder plug is when you do one of 3 mods: boost, spray or up the compression. so if you really want to get a colder set of plugs just add a little boost and call it a day. :biggthump

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
black35thGT said:
no need for colder plugs just yet. the only time you should need a colder plug is when you do one of 3 mods: boost, spray or up the compression. so if you really want to get a colder set of plugs just add a little boost and call it a day. :biggthump

Well, I am working on the quick pay off plan, then will come a more serious build on the car....

Thank you for the reponse.... :biggthump

black35thGT

Apr 9, 2006
Blood on Blood said:
Well, I am working on the quick pay off plan, then will come a more serious build on the car....

Thank you for the reponse.... :biggthump
i hear ya, even though my car was paid for in cash. only reason that happened though is my b-day and graduation being a month apart. wish i had that kinda money laying around all the time...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info