First impressions of BF Goodrich T/A KDWs

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
They feel good. :D

Seriously, they turn in faster than the GSD3s. Feel more "alive". On asphalt, they are as quiet or more quiet than the GSD3s. I tried a 2nd gear punch and the tires held without spinning. Of course, new tires usually feel great but first impressions of the KDWs are good.

blubyu

TCG Elite Member
Nov 7, 2004
Flyn high again said:
They feel good. :D
Seriously, they turn in faster than the GSD3s. Feel more "alive". On asphalt, they are as quiet or more quiet than the GSD3s. I tried a 2nd gear punch and the tires held without spinning. Of course, new tires usually feel great but first impressions of the KDWs are good.

What's the cost / what size?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I bought 275/40/17 for the fronts and 285/40/17 for the rears. Tire Rack prices are $160s or $180s each depending on size.

After driving on the tires a little and heating them up, I tried another 2nd gear punch. The tires held and the car launched forwards like it was on drag radials. Too much to hope that the traction stays this good but I'm liking it at the moment. :headbang:

smith876

Displaced Chicagoan
Mar 29, 2004
KC, MO
I've had these on my Regal for a little over a year. Predictible in the rain and snow (though my regal isn't pushing 500'ish HP so may be different in the cobra), great on the dry days also. Rather quiet on the highway which was just a bonus.

But do like them and am strongly considering them for my fox body when she comes due for tires....

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Flyn high again said:
Which Michelins? What's better about them? Traction? Wear?

I wouldn't call $160-$180 per tire "budget". :D

I think the difference is the Michelans will hold while lasting all the way to 1 / 3 of the tread life. Those BFG's are gonna give up pretty soon, but still you'll have to demand it all to wipe out or spinn too much.

My stock sized Firehawks feel like they'll hold 400lbft at he wheels pretty good, but 425-470...forget about it, and so you see the BFG's are going to reach a point in which they too will give up the traction, and the Michelans will hold longer into the tread life. I think they are easily $100.00 more dollars.

I watch this thread because I want to get the best street tire I can so I can take advantage of handling which the DR's do NOT allow, but at least when I shift into another gear the car won't go squirly.

I'm thinking a 10" wide rear wheel that's 18"s tall with a stock size in front. That will reduce some of the effect the 4:10 has thereby allowing better traction. So I would have to change my ecm each time I switch to my DR's for racing or just trolling for street fights.

I mean what really IS the best STREET TIRE combo for 500RWHP & 480RWTQ?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
As Dennis is saying, the KDWs may lose traction as they wear. I'll find out.

At the moment the KDWs stick every gear except 1st. Having owned both the GSD3s and the KDWs now, the KDWs are the better tire when brand new. They are quieter than the GSD3s and give better traction. I've only had them on for 1 day so take this for what it's worth. ;)

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I have to admit, when I first put on my GS-D3's, the first thing I noticed was the lack of on-center feel. They're very numb near center which I don't like.

They are also noisy. Much louder than the stock F1's.

However, they are excellent in the rain, but I'd gladly trade wet traction for better grip and feel.

They did OK at the track grip-wise, but they were really noisy in the corners once they heated up. MUCH louder than the stock F1's were in this respect. They do seem to handle the punishment of the track well. So far, they really haven't "chunked" or come apart like the stock F1's did on the track.

I probably will not buy them again though and will most likely move up to the BFG KD or something similar.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
nytebyte said:
I have to admit, when I first put on my GS-D3's, the first thing I noticed was the lack of on-center feel. They're very numb near center which I don't like.

They are also noisy. Much louder than the stock F1's.

However, they are excellent in the rain, but I'd gladly trade wet traction for better grip and feel.

They did OK at the track grip-wise, but they were really noisy in the corners once they heated up. MUCH louder than the stock F1's were in this respect. They do seem to handle the punishment of the track well. So far, they really haven't "chunked" or come apart like the stock F1's did on the track.

I probably will not buy them again though and will most likely move up to the BFG KD or something similar.

Remember, KDs are dry only KDWs are dry and wet. KDWs are $20-$30 less per tire than GSD3s.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info