Any1 Good with ALien ware's?

VIPERKILLER

ViperKiller Inc.Since '99
Apr 11, 2006
My alienware PC used to be really loud, at least the fan speed was soo high that it was too loud for me to stand. So i took the side cover off, and left it off. and for a few months it was so much quieter. but recently its just really freaking loud. i cant tell which fan it is. but ill leave the computer off for hours, and turn it back on, and the fans seem to be on high. i dont get it. and I dont know how to turn the fans down? anyone know how to do that?

it sounds and looks like its the big intel fan. and it seems kind of warm in there. i dunno :(

anyone?

VIPERKILLER

ViperKiller Inc.Since '99
Apr 11, 2006
Unoid said:
open her up and clean it out with compress air.

then peak at all the different fans and locate which one it is.

Not much else you can do if you cna't do even that.

Locate the fan check it, it may be just getting old.

it is the big intel one, which im guessing is the motherboard fan? or whatever its called? im not too good with computers as you can see. ill try the compressed air , and if not, just replace it i guess. i dont think that its broken though, its just that its running at like full speed all the time?

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
If the fan is running at high speed all the time making a lot of noise, it is detecting a heat condition. This can be caused by one of the following:

1. Bad heat sensor

2. Fan not mounted properly onto the heatsink or processor

3. Dust build up between the fan and processor due to not being fully seated on the processor. Once you blow out the dust, it will go away but the dust build up will come back and make it run crazy again. The processor fans are the only ones that I know of that are multi-speed. Make sure ALL the fans inside are working, and that they are MOUNTED and not moving around. ESPECIALLY the processor fan on the motherboard, that one is VERY important.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
What kind of noise is it?

Is it just a regular high speed fan noise, or something else?

Sometimes when fans start to go bad, they'll get noisier and start to rattle or vibrate.

To check the fans, open the case and stop the rotation on each fan, one at a time. Apply pressure with your finger or thumb to the center of the fan to stop its rotation. If the noise goes away, then that's the noisy fan.

If you don't get a reaction out of any of the fans, then it might be the fan inside the power supply (which you're unable to touch).

You might have a fan that's just spinning fast, due to the above mentioned heat issues. Go into the system's BIOS at bootup (by pressing F2 or DEL) then check the CPU and motherboard temps. Also check the fan rotational speeds. If one of the fans is spinning over 2500 rpm's, it might become loud enough to hear it.

If your CPU fan is spinning excessively fast, then it's possible that your CPU heat-sink is not making good contact with the CPU (or it's REAL dirty).

BlownVenom01

Addict
Mar 19, 2006
Go to fry's or CompUSA and pick up a fan controller that goes in any cd drive slot. You can control the rpm of any 3-wire fan (which should be all of them in an alienware). I have two 120mm case fans that scream louder than my tv if i dont turn them down at startup. Usually they run at 2000rpm and i turn them down to 750 and I cant hear em. Just make sure you dont turn em too far down or it could overheat.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info