Looking for a school.. anyone?

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Well i am doing some more research right now.. And as most of you recall, i was supposed to go to Full Sail in florida.. Well that has been put off and on for the last 2 years.. Just do to some reasons which i choose not to disclose. Anyway.. They keep raising the tuition on it now its up to 48K for assoc and 50 for bach.. So im looking for some other alternatives.. Basically what I was going to do there was Lighting and Sound engineering [the guys who setup/run/and operate the lights and sounds for musicians and travel with the bands. And Mixing and producer [i can't remember the actual technical term for it.. i call it being the Diddy of metal. :dunno: but yea.. Anyone know of anywhere with this type of stuff? and no NOT COLUMBIA!

Thanks in advance.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
It's called "who" ya know & NOT what ya know. All great bands eventually get a drum roadie, guitar etc., and they almost always have ther own sound guy. Hopefully you'll get to touch enough equipment and work enough jobs to hang with the pro's in conversation once the band goes BIG, and "IF" they do, they should pull you along.

You don't pay 50 G's for a degree and then go out and mix for any band!
( Well OK, it could happen, but who needs that work ) Honestly, it's always a minor technical education that get's you the job working for a band you have to love so much that they can't live without you before they hit, and once a band hits they keep the good roadies, sond guys, guitar guy's etc.,

You need to get to work for a band that's going places.....Like that's gonna happen, Mikey, I did this before, I would be the guy at the sound booth if they hit, I swear, no "schoolie" woulda gotten my job mixing, and if "I" couldn't handle it, the one they paid would have had to either listen to me while he workde or train "ME" because "I" was there from the beginning and deserved the job, that's the way the bands I worked for were doing it. That's the way they all are just as soon as they have a sound guy that works...for "ME" I was lucky and the people told the band I worked for that they never sounded better and so I got to keep the job. Once they work without you and all the things they take for granted don't happen, they get all crazy and want you back. You should know musicians are Babies, artists, they need TLC and crew to coddle them.

Producers will always let a rising band keep people and help them get and maintain the positions needed. We knew I couldn't produce a CD or a Demo, but we also knew the tech that did, would train ME, and then I would be right there able to keep up for the live show's and additional input. You can go to school all the while, but it's WHO and NOT WHAT, and it's too bad.

If you had the money to build a studio, ( What like a Million Dollars now a days ) I wouldn't be surpirsed, "and" you could really produce well, then after you pushed a few bands through it you would build a reputaion and then get the work you seek.

Any more questions? and FWIW...it's al been done Mickey, it take a real talent to shine now. A band may be able to sell something, but it won't be unique, it's all been done one way or another.

Get into something else, and use this as a side line. As you meet these people you'll see that unless they have rich parents who don't mind, they all have a back up, and love it too. Your music or desire to be a "techie" will NOT pay the bills until they hit.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
How about joining the Stage Hands Union and going to school at night? I'm sure the list is only about 25 years long......HA!

Start looking at young talent and manage it....AAAALLLL THE WWWAAAYYYY UP TO "Back Street Boys", or even better, "Boys to Men", Michael Jacksons favorite!

I really hate to be a kill joy here but DUDE...everybody wants theses JOBS!

That's why I spent the time showing you what "I" think is the most common way to get one. I really think I was close, but then, I wanted to think so. :dunno:

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
hey Mikey...you want a lesson running sound on a big board?

I got a 32 and a 64 channel Allen & Heath set up at Church that I run about 15 times a year.

As long as you don't flame up into a peice of charcoal at the door you'll have blast as we blow the "blue hairs" out into the parking lot....HA HA HA.

You think I'm kidding. I get bitched at all the time when the kids play.

Slamm'n drummers, killer guitars, it's awesome. Once in a while.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
ShelbyGuy said:
dont say "NOT COLUMBIA" when i have two friends who came up through there and are now recording engineers. chicago recording company counts as a real studio, right?

in the grand scheme of things, where you get your degree from really doesn't matter.

tushae.. just i got a lot of buddies dropping out of columbia etc.. and i was hoping to get out of chicago for school.

fasttrack

Regular
Jan 26, 2006
I have a big book on all of the colleges in the U.S. I looked up "Audio Technology" and this is what came up:
American Univ. (DC) $31,544
Berklee College of Music (MA) $27,005
Cogswell Polytechnical College (CA) $14,400
Columbia College Chicago (IL) $22063
Five Town College (NY) $18,850
Hofstra Univ. (NY) $23,252
Indiana Univ. Bloomington (IN) $10,712
Lebanon Valley Coll. of Penn. (PA) $25,700
School of The Art Inst of Chicago (IL) $27,800
Southwest Texas State Univ. (TX) $8,730
SUNY/Coll. at Fredonia (NY) $10,125
Univ. of Hartford (CT) $28,884
Univ. of Miami (FL) $31,130
Univ. of New Haven (CT) $23,860
Webster Univ. (MO) $19,804

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info