I think I F*$#ed up real good this time...

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
So I was trying to troubleshoot this engine "missing" problem that I've been having. Ed at RWTD sent me a new tune and wanted me to log a couple things using this new tune. I backed up my current tune to my computer, loaded Ed's tune, and got the log for him. Then I loaded my backed up tune back into the Cobra. Now the car won't start! I figured I would just restore the original tune, and then start from scratch, but now anything I do tells me "vehicle information can't be found, make sure ignition is on, but engine is not." or something like that.

So basically, the car won't start, I can't put any tune into the car, and I can't even reinstall the stock tune and start from scratch. :bash: :chairshot :cry: :cussing: :damnit: :mecry: :pat: :Missile: :puke: :sad: :rant: :spaz: :stick2: :thumbsdow :spank:

mustangmike2003

Regular
Nov 24, 2005
DSG03COBRA said:
So I was trying to troubleshoot this engine "missing" problem that I've been having. Ed at RWTD sent me a new tune and wanted me to log a couple things using this new tune. I backed up my current tune to my computer, loaded Ed's tune, and got the log for him. Then I loaded my backed up tune back into the Cobra. Now the car won't start! I figured I would just restore the original tune, and then start from scratch, but now anything I do tells me "vehicle information can't be found, make sure ignition is on, but engine is not." or something like that.

So basically, the car won't start, I can't put any tune into the car, and I can't even reinstall the stock tune and start from scratch. :bash: :chairshot :cry: :cussing: :damnit: :mecry: :pat: :Missile: :puke: :sad: :rant: :spaz: :stick2: :thumbsdow :spank:

dont mean to pee in your cheerios.....didnt your engine start missing when you changed out plugs to a different kind??? Common sense would say that it would be the plugs if you just swapped them out and it was fine before. Try throwing in a fresh set of the stock plugs and see what happens, maybe close the gap a little.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
mustangmike2003 said:
dont mean to pee in your cheerios.....didnt your engine start missing when you changed out plugs to a different kind??? Common sense would say that it would be the plugs if you just swapped them out and it was fine before. Try throwing in a fresh set of the stock plugs and see what happens, maybe close the gap a little.

Yes, this all started when I changed out my plugs, but after 3 new set of plugs, and a bunch of people screaming at me saying that I was running dangerously lean, I got a dyno check for my a/f. I posted my graph on diablosporttuning for Ed @ RWTD to take a look at. He then replied back that he wanted to see my Short Term Fuel Trims and MAF at different RPM's to see if the MAF transfer fuction needed to be adjusted at partial throttle. That brought me to be swapping tunes instead of plugs...

Also, closing the gap would just most likely cause it to run crappier as closing the gap just helps reduce the risk of spark blowout at higher RPM's and under more boost...

mustangmike2003

Regular
Nov 24, 2005
DSG03COBRA said:
Yes, this all started when I changed out my plugs, but after everyone screamed at me saying that I was running dangerously lean, I got a dyno check for my a/f. I posted my graph on diablosporttuning for Ed @ RWTD to take a look at. He then replied back that he wanted to see my Short Term Fuel Trims and MAF at different RPM's to see if the MAF transfer fuction needed to be adjusted at partial throttle. That brought me to be swapping tunes instead of plugs...

Also, closing the gap would just most likely cause it to run crappier as closing the gap just helps reduce the risk of spark blowout at higher RPM's and under more boost...

I know changing your spark plugs wont do shit for your current problem. But when you get your ecm problem worked out, its worth a shot with the stock plugs. Have your tried TR6's?

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
mustangmike2003 said:
I know changing your spark plugs wont do shit for your current problem. But when you get your ecm problem worked out, its worth a shot with the stock plugs. Have your tried TR6's?

Yeah, stock plugs are what I'm going to try next if Ed's changes don't do anything for me... The TR6's are what started my whole crappy idle problem... tried 2 sets of those, and now have in the Autolite AR103's. These are a little better, but still choppy. I read a couple threads on ModFords where people described the exact same thing and finally ended up back with their stock plugs... dunno... different strokes for different folks' cars I guess.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
Well, I actually DID get a reply back from Ed @ RWTD. He suspects that what happened was when I uploaded my custom tune from my Predator to my PC, that I actually uploaded the "extra tune" which was empty. Then when I went to put this back it, I basically installed a blank file. I should be able to call DiabloSport and get them to force my stock tune back in.

Only bad part is that I may have lost my latest tune. I think I'll be alright as it was just a couple changes that I still remember. (+5% fuel in the upper, +2% fuel in the lower, and retard the spark 2% in the lower)... that's just so I don't forget. :D

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
mustangmike2003 said:
good luck man, post up when you find out whats wrong

BTW, im the dude you talked to at stratford sears before the speed inc open house with the red mach 1...just so you know who I am :)

Thanks, I'll certainly post up what happens... And now I got who you are. I gotta make it to more GTG's so I can remember faces to screennames.

DSG03COBRA

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Plainfield, IL
Juggernaut said:
seriously dont waste your time with them anymore...go to local tuner or jump on the HBH tune session

Hey Jay... yup, I definitely think this is the last time I go with a mailorder tune. I've already paid for it, so I'm gonna use it to at least get up and running for a while. Then it's time for a Whipple and XCal2 w/ separate street and track tunes. :headbang: Not sure who I'm going to use for tuning yet though...

svtfoci

Regular
Feb 1, 2006
DSG03COBRA said:

well the same thing happened to me two sundays at 41. Tried to restore tune and nothing said same thing that info cant be found. Right now car at sutton they are saying ground problem? I was able to restore my stock tune with the help of sutton walking me thru over the phone maybe call greg at sutton he is great and so is jerry the tuner. You can see my post under sutton page its titled oh s*it.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
You guys are so quick to bash mail order tunes. Here's a car with "missing" issues to begin with, then a possible screw-up uploading/transferring a custom tune and RWTD gets the finger pointed at immediately. :confused: Sounds like "throwing the baby out with the bath water" to me. :dunno:

While I would say it's certainly best to have a competent tuner dial in your car in person (HBH coming to Chicago is nice), the same datalogs you'd make for RWTD to analyze are the same type of logs Hermann (or any other tuner) will make when they tune your car in person.

BTW, unless you've erased your original Ford tune, you should be able to get that back in the car. It may take more than 1 try.

My $0.02. Good Luck with your problem.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Juggernaut said:
seriously dont waste your time with them anymore...go to local tuner or jump on the HBH tune session
:laughing2

Yeah I am sure James has no idea what he is doing. :rolleyes: Anyone with a reasonable amount of patience would have great success with a RWTD tune.

The major difference is you only pay $75 bucks and you do all the data logging yourself. How do you think a dyno tune works??? That’s right... they data log the same shit that anyone with an XCal2 or Predator can log, and make changes appropriately.

Both ways are very effective, but to say he is wasting his time is just plain stupid.

You act as if mail order tunes are still generic chips with no customization. :dunno:

Juggernaut

TCG Elite Member
Mar 16, 2005
Wiked03 said:
:laughing2

Yeah I am sure James has no idea what he is doing. :rolleyes: Anyone with a reasonable amount of patience would have great success with a RWTD tune.

The major difference is you only pay $75 bucks and you do all the data logging yourself. How do you think a dyno tune works??? That’s right... they data log the same shit that anyone with an XCal2 or Predator can log, and make changes appropriately.

Both ways are very effective, but to say he is wasting his time is just plain stupid.

You act as if mail order tunes are still generic chips with no customization. :dunno:

Im not gonna sit here and blast a vendor sorry Carl....you want the story PM ME....i know im not the only one whos a little fustrated with james...i did back to back datalogs and 3 dynos before igave up on him and ed

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Juggernaut said:
Im not gonna sit here and blast a vendor sorry Carl....you want the story PM ME....i know im not the only one whos a little fustrated with james...i did back to back datalogs and 3 dynos before igave up on him and ed

I know quite a few people that have used RWTD with ZERO issues, including myself! My first tune for the Lightning was excellent.

I got my first RWTD tune for the Cobra last Thurday, data logged it Friday, and it was damn near perfect... so I took it to the track and made some passes on it. Then switched back to the old tune and made some passes to compare. The RWTD tune ran the exact same times the old dyno tune did, so I think it is pretty good for a "mail" order tune.

Sorry to take your post off topic Matt.... :-o

Juggernaut

TCG Elite Member
Mar 16, 2005
Wiked03 said:
I know quite a few people that have used RWTD with ZERO issues, including myself! My first tune for the Lightning was excellent.

I got my first RWTD tune for the Cobra last Thurday, data logged it Friday, and it was damn near perfect... so I took it to the track and made some passes on it. Then switched back to the old tune and made some passes to compare. The RWTD tune ran the exact same times the old dyno tune did, so I think it is pretty good for a "mail" order tune.

Sorry to take your post off topic Matt.... :-o

well at least your happy thats all that matters

gnxs said:
It seems that Tuner Choice and Whipple vs. KB discussions are always discussed very passionately. At least we're lucky to have a fair number of good tuners to choose from.

+1

The more tuners that we have to choose from the better.........this creates better results for us, as they have to compete with one another for our business.Creating better results and reasonable prices..........More tuning choices would be even better!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info