Physical Therapy SUCKS!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I had my first day of physical therapy on my shoulder today. Had surgery a month ago for a torn rotator cuff and now I get to make the arm work again.

I had 6 weeks of PT before they realized I needed surgery and it wasn't so bad. Stretching and strength building exercises that made me feel good. I figured this time would be the same. NOT!

This time the therapist stretched the arm in various directions, each one bringing huge waves of pain. Twist one way... OUCH! Twist another way...OWW EVEN WORSE! After ten minutes of this, I started exercises. 40 minutes later, I was sweating and shaking from the exertion and pain. Then they hook me up to an "electrical stimulator". Basically what this machine does is JOLT MY SHOULDER WITH ELECTRICITY! The tech turned it up until my shoulder was jumping around like a jumping bean on steroids. This is PAINFUL! They slapped an ice pack on it and let the machine run. 10 minutes of this and they released me for the day.

I had lunch and went out to my shop to drop off the guys' checks. I decided to wash my car. Halfway through, everything went black and I sat down on the cement until my vision came back. I was thisclose to passing out. I rested, finished the car and headed home. Nausea and pain caused me to lie down and next thing I know, it's 3 hours later. I surely hope that the first PT time was the worst time...

If Eric Jones is reading this, sorry, I'm not trying to scare you. You're younger than me so it should be easier for you. Good luck with your surgery...

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Venom27 said:
all i had to do is wait a week and u will learn to love the ICE and STIM and he turned it up way to high if ur muscles were twitching like that

Dr. Usually doesn't do the Machine, It's the Techs, and they LOVE to make people Squirm. In My Experiences the Smaller the Girl, the Worse She wants to Hurt You with "Therapy".

CobraSusie

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
I sorry Cliff :biggthump

yeah, Alan went back to work last Monday (since breaking his arm)
good fall from a ladder at work, they were doing PTand he was fine, then they started the stretching twisting he said it sucked, (tendon damage)
but it gets better...

We wish you the best for a quick recovery

blubyu

TCG Elite Member
Nov 7, 2004
At least it's wintertime. Get well soon! My dad's going through the same thing. He fell on ice and hit his elbow. Actually took some of the cuff off the bone and pulled/tore everything. Totally jazzed up his shoulder. Had the operation just after New Years. Doing damn good for 69 years old.
It will get better and you will be glad you did it!

Flyn high again said:
I had my first day of physical therapy on my shoulder today. Had surgery a month ago for a torn rotator cuff and now I get to make the arm work again.

I had 6 weeks of PT before they realized I needed surgery and it wasn't so bad. Stretching and strength building exercises that made me feel good. I figured this time would be the same. NOT!

This time the therapist stretched the arm in various directions, each one bringing huge waves of pain. Twist one way... OUCH! Twist another way...OWW EVEN WORSE! After ten minutes of this, I started exercises. 40 minutes later, I was sweating and shaking from the exertion and pain. Then they hook me up to an "electrical stimulator". Basically what this machine does is JOLT MY SHOULDER WITH ELECTRICITY! The tech turned it up until my shoulder was jumping around like a jumping bean on steroids. This is PAINFUL! They slapped an ice pack on it and let the machine run. 10 minutes of this and they released me for the day.

I had lunch and went out to my shop to drop off the guys' checks. I decided to wash my car. Halfway through, everything went black and I sat down on the cement until my vision came back. I was thisclose to passing out. I rested, finished the car and headed home. Nausea and pain caused me to lie down and next thing I know, it's 3 hours later. I surely hope that the first PT time was the worst time...

If Eric Jones is reading this, sorry, I'm not trying to scare you. You're younger than me so it should be easier for you. Good luck with your surgery...

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Thanks guys.

I know that doing the home exercises is important so I will work hard on them. I want to get back to normal ASAP. This has been almost a year out of my life messing with this crap. I'm glad I had the surgery. The constant pain from the tear is gone. The PT today was a little difficult but my shoulder is feeling great now [no pain meds, either]. :biggthump

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
10th03cobra said:
Woah!!!!!

Wait a minute, you can still wack it right???

BTW - suck it up or just get some more pain killers... :biggthump

Luckily, I'm right handed and the damage is to my left shoulder. See, my hand is OK. :biggthump

Oops, that's the Smiley's left hand. Oh well, you get the idea...

I want to do as few pain killers as possible. Don't want to pull a Brett Favre.

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
It will get better, it just takes time. PAIN comes with the territory. P.T. is torture, but it makes your body learn how to work the shoulder again. NO PAIN NO GAIN... it's absolutely true. I've had my left knee done in a bad way, and I went through all of that. My knees are now unrepairable... well... unless I get a replacement. So consider yourself lucky!

Also, just found out today (had my sinus surgery consultation) that they will be cutting sinuses near my brain, so that will be fun! The guy, Dr. Panje, is really good according to all my research (he wrote 6 medical books, 100's of medical journal entries, etc) I'll have splints up my nose holding it together (my septum is severly deviated so they are putting all that back together) and tubes coming out of my nose after the surgery to drain the bleeding.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
ChicagoMike said:
It will get better, it just takes time. PAIN comes with the territory. P.T. is torture, but it makes your body learn how to work the shoulder again. NO PAIN NO GAIN... it's absolutely true. I've had my left knee done in a bad way, and I went through all of that. My knees are now unrepairable... well... unless I get a replacement. So consider yourself lucky!

Also, just found out today (had my sinus surgery consultation) that they will be cutting sinuses near my brain, so that will be fun! The guy, Dr. Panje, is really good according to all my research (he wrote 6 medical books, 100's of medical journal entries, etc) I'll have splints up my nose holding it together (my septum is severly deviated so they are putting all that back together) and tubes coming out of my nose after the surgery to drain the bleeding.

That sounds awful. Best of luck during the surgery. The results will be worth the trouble.

Kegger

Addict
Jun 23, 2005
wow, welcome to the club. I had my right shoulder surgery on October 26th. I tore my labrum in two places. One was really big! I also tore my bicep partially off the bone. As you can see I had some serious damage in there. The surgeon re-attached my bicep to another part of the bone. Before the surgery, my right bicep was a little bigger than my left one. Now when I flex in the mirror, my right bicep has totally shrunk! :dunno:

the physical therapy is gonna suck for a while. Especially for the first month or so. Stretching is key, keep doing that on a regular basis at home like they tell you too. Just don't over stretch to the point you are gonna pass out from the pain. You will actually do more damage than good.

I still have a long way to go because of the seriousness of my injuries. But you should start to see improvement after a month or so. Good luck! :biggthump

Kegger

Addict
Jun 23, 2005
ChicagoMike said:

why are you having that surgery? Just curious. I have a lot of alergies and get sinus infections very often. The last couple of years, when I get them, its very painful, and I have a lot of pressure built up behind my face. Also, when I blow my nose or snort in and spit the nasty crap out, it's always dark green with half of it being blood. I guess thats a bad sign. Just wondering if there is surgery to help fix my problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info