Who wants to drive a Vette + Hummer on closed tracks?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Or any other GM car as well as Mercedes, BMW, Dodge, Nissan, and more. I recently received an invitation to the "Auto Show in Motion" from GM. They are going to have on-road and off-road courses set up at Arlington Park [up around Schaumburg] this Thursday through Sunday [Sept. 30-Oct.3]. They call it an auto show where they hand you the keys. Drive to your heart's content on the courses, free food and beverages. Unfortunately, 21 and older licensed drivers only I think. The highlight cars are the Vette and Hummer, but they will also have GTOs, SSRs, and many other GM cars [as well as other manufacturers' cars for comparison.] I'm looking forward to trying out the Vette on the on-road course and trying the Hummer on the off-road course.

It looks like anyone can register. I got an invitation card but I don't think you need it. For more details or to register, go to www.autoshowinmotion.com I'm going to go Thursday morning to avoid the crowds. I just checked the website and there are a lot of openings left.

Unoid

Libertarian Massa
Aug 30, 2004
Wait for me susie, Don't ditch me! what time did you guys sign up for? thursday is horrible for me I may sign up for friday :p

Susie, you wanna go friday also at like 11am?

Signed up for friday at 11am :(

Guess i'll be skipping my weekly tanning session at a really cute girls salon :eek:h:

GM better be fun!!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I signed up for 10:30 AM on Thurs. It's easier for me to take a weekday off this week. Plus the crowds should be lighter and the cars should still be in good shape on Thurs. They say no reckless driving but I'm not sure what they mean by reckless? I'm hoping they let us beat on them a little... :D

Edit-Hank, you don't have a fake I.D.? I bet you could pass for 21.

CobraSusie

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
Unoid said:
Wait for me susie, Don't ditch me! what time did you guys sign up for? thursday is horrible for me I may sign up for friday :p

Susie, you wanna go friday also at like 11am?

Signed up for friday at 11am :(

Guess i'll be skipping my weekly tanning session at a really cute girls salon :eek:h:

GM better be fun!!
Sunday at 12:30 :D

Why on't you go check out that hottie we saw at the Health Club the other night? :p

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I just got home. My wife and I had a great time. Hey guys- it's the C6 Vettes!!! They are Un-F*cking-believable. Heads up display. They hold the curves much better than a Cobra. More neutral handling. Power up the wazoo. I think the employee I was riding with was informed about my SSR ride because he asked me to not spin the tires and take it a little easier on the curves. LOL! My wife and I went to the SSRs and Vettes last in case they kicked us out... When I took the automatic SSR around the track, it kept downshifting in the middle of the curves so I pulled it down into first and the guy yelled at me to put it back in drive. He was grabbing the armrests so I think it was a successful ride. :D

Let's see. There are 7 tracks.

Pickups. It was funny how GM left the running boards off some of the non GM models so they were almost impossible to get in and out of.

Hummers- this track has 1 big hill, some whoop-de-doos, and one side hill. You have to ride with an employee.

SUVs.

Large SUVs. These things are huge!

Regular cars- The GTO is DISAPPOINTING. It's slow and the handling isn't there. They dyno'd it on a portable dyno while we were there and it got 262 rwhp. At least you could pick manual or auto trans. The Monte Carlo SS is better. The employees were trying to keep people from driving fast on this track.

Luxury cars- This is one of the most fun tracks because they let you beat the crap out of Caddilacs, BMWs, Mercedes, Lexi, Saabs, and others.

Vette and SSR track- Like the Hummer, you only get to drive each of these once. The SSR is pretty cool. The Vette is awesome. You have to drive each of these with an employee in the car. You can pick manual or auto trans on the Vette. The clutch is hydraulic and very abrupt with its engagement.

The show was a lot of fun. It's worth going just to drive the C6 Vette. There were hardly any crowds except in the middle of the day so we drove as many cars as we wanted one right after another. The employees said the weekend would be more crowded. Parking was free. Admission was free. Lunch was free. It included either a ham, turkey, roast beef, or veggie sub, chips, cookies, coleslaw, and a can of pop. Water was available at every tent. We filled out a 1 page questionaire at the end of the day and got a T-shirt. I would go again. Bring a hat if it's sunny. Overall, in general, my wife and I decided that the more expensive cars were better. :rolleyes: :D

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Isn't it... You can really see the difference when you drive them back to back to back. The Saab 9 2X was a pleasant surprise. It handled well. The luxury cars and large SUVs had surprisingly good handling for their size. The regular passenger cars pretty much feel like POSs after driving the expensive cars and trucks.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
CobraSusie said:
I can't wait sounds like a good time :biggthump
start with the vette :headbang:

You have to first drive one of the other cars on either the luxury car track or the passenger car track then they mark your bracelet. Same thing with trucks or SUVs and then the Hummer. I think they're trying to stop people from just coming and driving the 3 vehicles [Vette, SSR, Hummer] and then leaving.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info