Next big Mod

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Wow, I dont know what to say, I cant believe Im seen in relative terms to Dan in giving advice :dunno:

The 2.4L KB has been put on the back burner to the 2V 2.2L Blower. Apparently they ran into some problems a few weeks back, and switched priority. They wont start working on it again for a month or two. Plus, I think you'll kill yourself and your motor with that thing. Being the guy who prefers efficiency over the "add more boost" ideology, Im going to have to say Cams.

JDM spec Crower Stage 3s
DSS Level 2 Halfshafts
BFG 315s (sorry Andy, but those Nittos have to go)
Compucar 50 shot.
Dyno Tune + Any needed fuel system upgrades.

This would put you around the $3500-4000 mark, but they also make for a happy motor. :) And you can keep all of them when time comes for the blower upgrade and/or a built Longblock.

Adding those Cams with a 50 shot would make your car an absolute beast from a roll. We're talking 580+rwhp/600+rwtq when you need it, and a more humane 510+rwhp/530rwtq for Daily Driving. All while keeping that Eaton at only 14psi :D

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
cobravenom39 said:
Thinking about next mod---Cams or a KB 2.4? I don't know. Let me know what you guys think about it. Hank and Dan, I will expect your opinions first.

Andy,

I'm going to have to disagree with Hank and say the blower. I think by far the bigger bang for the buck is the blower. I figure if I'm going to have the motor torn apart enough to change the cams, then I'm going to also have better pistons installed and possibly get it stroked as well.

I've been kicking around a Whipple for some time and will probably go that route over the KB. I spoke to Whipple on the phone two weeks ago at length. No oil issues, 2.3 in size which should accomadate any boost levels you could consider running, especially with the stock block. I believe the only advantage of the 2.4 KB over the 2.2 KB is to run extremely high boost levels. Not required for your needs, but if its only a few more bucks what the hell, you'll be ready for anything in the future. And Hank is right that the 2.4 KB is on the back burner right now.

A conservatively tuned KB or Whipple blower at 15psi (which is basically where we're at now with a 2.76 pulley) is an easy 525 rwhp car. 600+ rwhp is a pulley and a more aggressive tune away. you'll never get anywhere close to that with cams, especially since you don't even have a ported blower (I don't think ;) ). I agree with Hank on maximizing efficiency as the route to go, but that's what I believe I'd be doing with a Whipple. Cooler, more efficient design and more consistent boost levels are what get you the HP. I'd be running about 1 more psi (15) than I'm seeing now with the 2.76. People have picked up 75+ hp over an Eaton at the same psi, now that's efficiency.

I suppose (knowing you), there'd be an immediate temptation to throw on a 17 or 19 pound pulley, :eek3: which might lead to reliability issues.

That's my $0.02.

P.S. - If you ever decide to go the Whipple route, let me know. Perhaps they'll give us a deal on two (or more if there's anybody else on the fence about a Whipple).

wtw5974

What in the Hell?
Mar 2, 2004
When you do decide to get that Whipple let me know, maybe we can get a group order. :biggthump I have done cams already and they really are a pain to do. Not so much as in the install, but getting the car to run right when you are done. Not many places have done high lift cams in our cars or in the 4valve motor for that matter. Most of the tuning it is hit or miss. The s/c upgrade will be more money but it is less of a pain to keep it running right.

my 0.02 :p

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
I know I should do the cams first, but I don't wanna be the guinea pig and half a high-maintenance dilemma on my hands. I also don't wanna blow my motor from too much boost w/the KB(which I know I will do). Damn car. I haven't even had five minutes to take the damn car to get my subframes on it yet. Guess I better do that first. Thanks for all the input guys

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info