Procharger?

96cobra96

I am about to order a procharger for my 96 cobra (Was thinking about getting an 03 but got a quote for insurance,so that is over). Is there anything I should look out for with prochargers? Are they pretty easy to bolt on, or should I have someone do it? I am going to get the one with a 6lb pulley, that will be enough HP for me (for now). Will I be able to hear the supercharger whining or are they pretty quiet. How much hp could I expect with a tune from SpeedInc? I am really excited to get the procharger!

Thanks

-Tim

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I'm not an expert on ProChargers, but I'm sure you will be able to hear the blower. You could call ProCharger or Speed Inc. for their professional opinions on power gains and ease of install. Or you could check some of the National forums for info. More guys have done that install on www.svtperformance.com or www.corral.net than here...

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
How old are you, I am 24 and pay 900/year for my 03, and that is for AAA, w/ really good coverage and 500 deductibles. I gotta friend of mine who is a new insurance agent and just wants to get customers to build a business base. Let me know!

I am not a big fan of the procharger on any four valve. I have heard too many horror stories.

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
96cobra96 said:
Will I be able to hear the supercharger whining or are they pretty quiet.

-Tim

With a centrifigul like the procharger, you don't really hear a whine, it is more of a whistle and it is usually only at idle. Under acceleration is sounds like more of a turbo hiss.
Our Eatons and other screw driven blowers are the ones that really whine under acceleration.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
If it were me I wouldnt get a Procharger. Id much rather deal with Vortech and Paxton. Vortech has always been known for its high quality complete kits, and Paxton's Novi 2000 speaks for itself. While Paxton had questionable quality in the past, that all changed for the better when Vortech purchased them.

Id do..... Vortech V2-SC@8psi to start. Just make sure you get it DYNO tuned immediately before even thinking about getting into it.

96cobra96

I am only 20, they quoted me at $2200 a year, and that wold be too much with the payments I would have to make on the Cobra as well. I don't think that is bad though, pricewise. So no one would go with a procharger? What If I was getting a really good deal on a new one with intercooler for only $2500 shipped?

uvbnbit

Mar 17, 2004
My Procharger?!

You can hear the whistle a mile away, and I still have my hood liner in as well, and it is still loud. I have the 6 lbs. pulley as well with a mild tune, because of the rumors of the 99 - 01 cobra internals, and 400 hp is a very conservative gain, and $2500 :hail: . You don't want to know what I paid. Jump on it... Any other ?'s let them roll... I can't know the Vortechs or the Paxtons, because everyone has a preference, but I did not like the idea of drilling a hole in my oil pan...

- Erik

BOTLFED98

TCG Elite Member
Mar 5, 2004
uvbnbit said:
You can hear the whistle a mile away, and I still have my hood liner in as well, and it is still loud. I have the 6 lbs. pulley as well with a mild tune, because of the rumors of the 99 - 01 cobra internals, and 400 hp is a very conservative gain, and $2500 :hail: . You don't want to know what I paid. Jump on it... Any other ?'s let them roll... I can't know the Vortechs or the Paxtons, because everyone has a preference, but I did not like the idea of drilling a hole in my oil pan...

- Erik

o ya, i have a brand new oem oil pan and tray that is already tapped for the blower as well......

BOTLFED98

TCG Elite Member
Mar 5, 2004
uvbnbit said:

- Erik

humor me, how much did u pay? oh and is urs intercooled??

96cobra96

I think all prochargers come with intercoolers, well I think all systems they sell do. The oil pan you have will come with the vortech kit you are selling? I sent you an email botlfed98! I am still deciding between vortech and procharger - leaning more towards the vortech now, just as long as they whine and whistle I will be happy- oh and a good increase in hp will definitely be nice!

96cobra96

One more thing, how hard are they to install? The vortech with aftercooler and oilpan? The procharger with intercooler? How much do you think they would charge me for getting it installed at SpeedInc? I know a little about mechanics, but don't want to mess anything up. Unless there is someone who would want to help me (if I get one).

uvbnbit

Mar 17, 2004
Install

96cobra96 said:
One more thing, how hard are they to install? The vortech with aftercooler and oilpan? The procharger with intercooler? How much do you think they would charge me for getting it installed at SpeedInc? I know a little about mechanics, but don't want to mess anything up. Unless there is someone who would want to help me (if I get one).

Did not have the time to install mine, so I has ASSC Racing in Lake Bluff install, and it cost $1500... Don't know where you cruise but I am out late on Sat. between Bk, and McD's in bloomindale if you wanna hear the whistle...

BOTLFED98

TCG Elite Member
Mar 5, 2004
96cobra96 said:
I think all prochargers come with intercoolers, well I think all systems they sell do. The oil pan you have will come with the vortech kit you are selling? I sent you an email botlfed98! I am still deciding between vortech and procharger - leaning more towards the vortech now, just as long as they whine and whistle I will be happy- oh and a good increase in hp will definitely be nice!

yes, i have the oil pan to go along w/it......the Vortech V1 s-trim is a whiner!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info