Looking at Cobras/L's

BrianH

Jul 18, 2004
Hey guys, I'm in the process of looking for new cars. I'd really like to go with a cobra but I can't have two cars and I have to be able to drive whatever I have through the winters. Am I insane for thinking I could drive a cobra during the winter? How about a lightning with the rear end loaded down with some weight?

I know it's unlikely but has anyone around here driven either of those during the chi-town winters?

Thanks for the feedback.
-b

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
I drove my pullied 03 Cobra through the past two winters on the stock F1s. Most of it was uneventfull. The only pain in the ass is when its slushy out. Cliff (flyn high again) put a set of snow tires on his this past winter and never had a problem :biggthump

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
As long as you get snow tires, you will be fine. It's actually fun to drive the car in the snow. I bought a set of Bullitt 8" wheels and put Dunlop snow tires on them so I could just switch the wheels and tires when winter comes without having to have tires dismounted and remounted twice a year. I went with a 245 width tire instead of 275 because I think the narrower width helps in the snow. No problems at all last winter other than having to wash the car often. LOL!.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
I drove my L all last winter on the stock tires (F1's - summer rated only). No problems, but we never really did get more than a couple of inches of snow at a time last year.

This year I'm considering picking up a set of winter tires. I've seen used sets for about $300.

I used to have a Ranger, and I always had to LOAD it with sand. But it was stick, and was fairly easy to drive in the snow. I never put any sand in the L last year, and it was still heavy enough to drive fine.

Other than not wanting to smash up my new L, I actually love driving in the snow. It's like a tilt-a-whirl!

Forget about the snow. If you want a performance vehicle, the months of great driving far outweigh the few days you would have to worry about winter driving.

:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Fletch

Can't reMember
Mar 6, 2004
As they say,"a picture is worth a thousand words".

My Lightning at the top of a Wyoming mountain last winter.
25548-288-3318.jpg

I drove through a snow storm fron the IA/NE border to Green River WY, these are some of the guys that didn't make it.

25548-288-3323.jpg

25548-288-3322.jpg

25548-288-3321.jpg

25548-288-3320.jpg

Fletch

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Fletch said:
I drove through a snow storm fron the IA/NE border to Green River WY, these are some of the guys that didn't make it.
I drove through that storm too! Albeit in an Expedition. It was the weirdest drive. When I left at 9am in Bloomington it was nice mild weather until 10miles east of Omaha. It started misting, then raining, then flurries, then ungodly windy snowstorm at night, then about 20miles east of North Platte, NE the roads started getting covered in slush.... I almost ate it passing a guy who was doing 40mph......I was doing 85 :D

I made it all the way until the I-76 exit into Colorado, it was closed so I had to drive back to North Platte and stay the night. Probably a good thing too, I was on my 10th straight hour of driving and the storm took a toll on me. I couldnt believe how many tractor trailers and cars I swaw in ditches the next morning in Colorado :eek3:

Well, thats as far off topic as Ive ever gone, and Ill shut up now :)

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I've been running Mustang's with snow tires for years. They work great, especially if you get true, hard core snow tires. I'm able to rip through even the most nasty of snow storms with no trouble.

For the Cobra, I decided to sacrifice a bit of snow traction and go with "performance" snow tires. They grip much better on dry pavement and handle better, but can't match a "true" snow tire in the snow or ice.

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
I've driven 2 cobra's in over 5 winters. I even drove my 97 Cobra on a set of Nittos DRs in a snowstorm that yielded 11 inches of snow, from Frankfort to Arlington Heights. That was my scariest encounter. I made it though, and then got stuck in the parking lot at my g-friends apartment.

You can handle it in either car. Tires make all the difference.

Don't get a four door sedan (yawn). You'll regret it for the rest of your life!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info